Blue Iris UI3

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can there be an option to automatically log in and not wait the 4 seconds it takes for the screen to advance to the next screen? or maybe a "remember me" so I don't have to see it at all?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Loving the new UI! great work!

Is there any way to do the one camera large, with the rest smaller wrapped around it sort of layout? Essentially, any plans to implement the layout slider like on the blue iris fat client?
Can't do it.

Can there be an option to automatically log in and not wait the 4 seconds it takes for the screen to advance to the next screen? or maybe a "remember me" so I don't have to see it at all?
Yeah I could make it log in instantly if your info is saved, but that makes it a pain in the butt for anyone who wants to cancel the login and enter a different user name. Perhaps the benefit outweighs the cost.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe just a "remember me" button then, if the computer is used between multiple users the auto login wouldn't be used as much.

Either way, this is MUCH faster than launching Hikvision's IVMS and waiting 1 minute before the program loads lol!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Beta b11 is available in the first post.

Changes are:
  • Added a "help" item to the main menu.
    • The help pages are a work-in-progress. You can preview them here: UI3 Help
    • Please suggest any new help sections and content you think would be useful for new users.
  • The audio codec is now shown in the "Stats for nerds" panel while audio is playing. It is always "mu-law", though the sample rate varies by camera.

turq

n3wb
Reaction score
Speaking of new users....I'm so new my camera hasn't even arrived yet. I'm also new to the whole IP camera world. But I have been reading furiously for a couple of days now, including most of these ten pages of posts. I probably now know just enough to be dangerous haha. My seriously dumb question, I thought BI was only available for PC's? Yet I read people here are using Safari and Mac's? I do have both a PC and a Mac in my household/network. But I would prefer to instal BI and UI3 on an external HD hooked up to my Mac, if that is possible. Thank you and incredible job on what you have created.

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Speaking of new users....I'm so new my camera hasn't even arrived yet. I'm also new to the whole IP camera world. But I have been reading furiously for a couple of days now, including most of these ten pages of posts. I probably now know just enough to be dangerous haha. My seriously dumb question, I thought BI was only available for PC's? Yet I read people here are using Safari and Mac's? I do have both a PC and a Mac in my household/network. But I would prefer to instal BI and UI3 on an external HD hooked up to my Mac, if that is possible. Thank you and incredible job on what you have created.
BI runs only on Windows. It includes a built-in webserver that can be accessed from any device including Macs, linux etc. UI3 is an enhancement to BI's webserver.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You want to install bi on a dedicated PC with a clean install of Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation tool...

turq

n3wb
Reaction score
You want to install bi on a dedicated PC with a clean install of Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation tool...
Thank you. The "dedicated PC" is going to slow up (no pun intended) the whole process for me. I can put BI on it's own SSD drive with an external HD for storage and running Windows 10. The current PC is one that my son uses for music recording. It has a Intel Xeon E5 2620 v3 with 24 gigs of RAM. Would that work? I would not want to slow down his set up though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. The "dedicated PC" is going to slow up (no pun intended) the whole process for me. I can put BI on it's own SSD drive with an external HD for storage and running Windows 10. The current PC is one that my son uses for music recording. It has a Intel Xeon E5 2620 v3 with 24 gigs of RAM. Would that work? I would not want to slow down his set up though.
you should start a new thread...you should not be using a pc that is used for other purposes...

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome work, Brian. UI2 was great and UI3 is as well. My only complaint is that I got hooked on UI2 and then you came up with UI3.

rkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The current beta11 is working really well here so thanks for all the effort.

I've now started to use it more on our tablets (a mix of Android devices) and a few thoughts on usability on smaller touch devices:
  • Navigating through clips is harder due to the lack of keyboard short cuts. I would prefer to have buttons for at least skip back and forward added, but they could be optional if space is tight on some devices.
  • Although the tablets I use can stream clips at the best mode I use with no issue at normal speed, when running at a higher playback speed the cpu warning sometimes comes up. This is understandable but with it keep coming up and over the speed control button it gets annoying. Running at a faster speed is only for a short while so I don't want to keep changing quality or dismiss the warnings. Therefore I would prefer the cpu option to be smaller and not block the controls in the bottom right.
  • In clip and alert playback the camera title and clip start time text is much larger than any other UI text (Android Chrome/Firefox) and overlapping the image is a pain as it obstructs a common position for camera overlays. On a laptop/desktop we can resize the browser to avoid this.
  • Spacing on the playback controls/timeline/settings can be a little tight for finger use no matter what UI scaling size. I appreciate the need to fit smaller devices so a responsive design with a little more spacing that reduces if needed would be ideal.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Something I've noticed with UI3 that may be related, strictly, to FireFox. I had been using IE11 and Edge but with UI3 have switched to FireFox, 57.0. I usually have UI3 running all day on my laptop and in the morning, when it's quiet in the house and I can hear the connection "pop" of BI, as soon as I bring up FireFox I start hearing that connection "pop" off of my BI machine in the office. I mean as FF is loading and long before I actually open a page to UI3 on it. The BI connections log shows multiple connections, this morning about 20, before the actual, "real" connection occurs. It also seems to re-connect, occasionally, on and off during the day, that telltale "pop" again.

Anyone else experiencing this of am I just lucky?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The current beta11 is working really well here so thanks for all the effort.

I've now started to use it more on our tablets (a mix of Android devices) and a few thoughts on usability on smaller touch devices:
  • Navigating through clips is harder due to the lack of keyboard short cuts. I would prefer to have buttons for at least skip back and forward added, but they could be optional if space is tight on some devices.
Is it really necessary to have those buttons if they would be literally adjacent to the seek bar, which you can use to seek?

• Although the tablets I use can stream clips at the best mode I use with no issue at normal speed, when running at a higher playback speed the cpu warning sometimes comes up. This is understandable but with it keep coming up and over the speed control button it gets annoying. Running at a faster speed is only for a short while so I don't want to keep changing quality or dismiss the warnings. Therefore I would prefer the cpu option to be smaller and not block the controls in the bottom right.
That is a good point. I may try to vertically offset those toast messages a little so they aren't in the way of the controls, and make sure they always appear underneath the speed/quality/etc menu.

• In clip and alert playback the camera title and clip start time text is much larger than any other UI text (Android Chrome/Firefox) and overlapping the image is a pain as it obstructs a common position for camera overlays. On a laptop/desktop we can resize the browser to avoid this.
If you press and hold (or right click) on that text, there is an option to hide it.

• Spacing on the playback controls/timeline/settings can be a little tight for finger use no matter what UI scaling size. I appreciate the need to fit smaller devices so a responsive design with a little more spacing that reduces if needed would be ideal.
It is even a problem on Large scale? I may be able to include an option for "Extra button spacing for playback controls". I do not want UI3's settings panel to turn into UI2's settings panel though.

Something I've noticed with UI3 that may be related, strictly, to FireFox. I had been using IE11 and Edge but with UI3 have switched to FireFox, 57.0. I usually have UI3 running all day on my laptop and in the morning, when it's quiet in the house and I can hear the connection "pop" of BI, as soon as I bring up FireFox I start hearing that connection "pop" off of my BI machine in the office. I mean as FF is loading and long before I actually open a page to UI3 on it. The BI connections log shows multiple connections, this morning about 20, before the actual, "real" connection occurs. It also seems to re-connect, occasionally, on and off during the day, that telltale "pop" again.

Anyone else experiencing this of am I just lucky?
Probably Firefox is just trying to preload pages for you.

rkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to have those buttons if they would be literally adjacent to the seek bar, which you can use to seek?
In my case the seek bar covers 4 hours per recording so trying to navigate within a few minutes of that relating to the alert part is impossible with the seek bar. For me this is the biggest issue as I end up reaching for a laptop to scan through alerts.

If you press and hold (or right click) on that text, there is an option to hide it.
Yes but the text can be useful if you don't have the camera name in the camera's overlay. A minor issue but the text stands out as much larger than any other.

It is even a problem on Large scale? I may be able to include an option for "Extra button spacing for playback controls". I do not want UI3's settings panel to turn into UI2's settings panel though.
It's a minor item, just annoying to keep missing the correct button with extra space available. Thinking about this some more and half the time the issue is hitting the seek bar (as above) and loosing the position in the alert.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In my case the seek bar covers 4 hours per recording so trying to navigate within a few minutes of that relating to the alert part is impossible with the seek bar. For me this is the biggest issue as I end up reaching for a laptop to scan through alerts.
Indeed, 4-hour recordings are hard to seek through. One of the things I brought up with Ken (Blue Iris developer) was the possibility of making "alert playback" be bounded to the start and end offsets of the alert. But it was easier for him if I didn't do it that way, so I didn't do it that way.

I may be able to cook up a local-overrides script for you that adds seek buttons, but it isn't something I intend to put in the main UI release. In fact more than once I've considered removing the "Next/Previous Clip" buttons. LOL.

Yes but the text can be useful if you don't have the camera name in the camera's overlay. A minor issue but the text stands out as much larger than any other.
I've made a note to shrink this text more in the Medium/Small/Smaller layouts.

It's a minor item, just annoying to keep missing the correct button with extra space available. Thinking about this some more and half the time the issue is hitting the seek bar (as above) and loosing the position in the alert.
Understandable. I'll be sure to add extra padding between the seek bar and the buttons if I put in that option for extra spacing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Beta b12 is available in the first post.

Reduced the size of the clip name and time at the top of the clip player, and shifted the text upward.
Added an "Extra" section at the bottom of UI Settings. This contains less-important settings.
Added settings to "Extra" section:
* Playback Controls: Next/Previous
* Playback Controls: Seek Buttons
* Playback Controls: Extra Padding

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@rkn Let me know if the extra padding option adds enough padding around the buttons. I tried to make a compromise between ease-of-use and covering half the screen with buttons when you hold a phone in portrait mode.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 I don't know if anyone else has brought this to your attention --- the partial circle that appears when switching cameras or starting/stopping alert playback, the circle rotates lopsidedly on Firefox v57 on both Windows and Mac. I noticed this with both b11 and b12.

I don't see this problem with Chrome.

Side note: I have both dom.streams.enabled and javascript.options.streams set to true in Firefox about:config

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry if i am on the wrong post but can the camera positions be moved around in the browser?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 I don't know if anyone else has brought this to your attention --- the partial circle that appears when switching cameras or starting/stopping alert playback, the circle rotates lopsidedly on Firefox v57 on both Windows and Mac. I noticed this with both b11 and b12.
I hadn't noticed that since I don't usually use Firefox! Thanks for letting me know.

Sorry if i am on the wrong post but can the camera positions be moved around in the browser?
Only if you move them around in Blue Iris's console.