Blue Iris UI3

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh please .... :) VPN is only as good as the unit running the agent. Also if you travel in places like China & IRAN, VPN is useless, you're better off using SSL.
let's not forget there is account lock out settings as well for any brute force attacks. Also I think most have a base user (non admin) for remote viewing / monitoring ...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I brazenly port forward directly to Blue Iris's web server because I cannot be bothered to connect a VPN every time I want to see my cams, and more importantly neither can my other family members. I am fully aware of the risks this poses and am willing to accept those risks. ;)

Also it should be understood that 100% of the risk comes from exposing Blue Iris's web server. Whether UI3 files are present on that server or not is actually irrelevant to the cybersecurity of the system.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've just sent Ken notice of the UI3-119 release so it should be included in the next Blue Iris update.

Version 119
  • Fixed playback at speeds other than 1x in the HTML5 player.
  • Fixed issue where clip durations under 1 minute were all rendered as "0:10".

The next BI update might also include a fix for reverse playback, which is currently broken so I'm unable to test it in UI3. But I "think" it will work.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I brazenly port forward directly to Blue Iris's web server because I cannot be bothered to connect a VPN every time I want to see my cams, and more importantly neither can my other family members. I am fully aware of the risks this poses and am willing to accept those risks. ;)

Also it should be understood that 100% of the risk comes from exposing Blue Iris's web server. Whether UI3 files are present on that server or not is actually irrelevant to the cybersecurity of the system.
That why I use Wireguard at home. Its so much better than OpenVPN. OpenVPN is clumsy and slow and hard to setup. Once you have the Wireguard server setup at home you connect your clients and leave them connected. You don't ever have to disconnect and re-connect. I have all our phones and ipads and laptop setup to just leave the VPN on all the time so all traffic is routed home and encrypted before coming back to our end devices. Wireless security is so much better since nothing can be sniffed this way when connected to public WiFi. Plus not having to expose BI directly to the internet is another massive security hole I don't have to worry about. So the few ports Wireguard needs gets forwarded to the VM running Wireguard and then I have access to my network and everything is encrypted as well that goes across the line.

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just sent Ken notice of the UI3-119 release so it should be included in the next Blue Iris update.

Version 119
  • Fixed playback at speeds other than 1x in the HTML5 player.
  • Fixed issue where clip durations under 1 minute were all rendered as "0:10".

The next BI update might also include a fix for reverse playback, which is currently broken so I'm unable to test it in UI3. But I "think" it will work.
Yes, applied manually, works much better (as it should / did). Very quick response, I presume the fix took longer! Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Normally I don't bother announcing UI3 updates anymore, but I've just released UI3-120 with some relatively big changes, and would like to invite some early testing. It isn't in a Blue Iris patch yet, but you can install it manually from github.

The "Alerts" tab has been deleted, and the "Flagged Only" checkbox has been replaced with this dropdown list which gives access to all the database views offered by Blue Iris. (this is where "Alerts" now resides)

In particular I'm interested in hearing if Sentry confirmed and Sentry cancelled work, as I don't use Sentry myself. Or if anything else about this dropdown list doesn't work as expected.

1600483375172.png

Here is the full change log:

Version 120
Major changes:
  • Replaced the "Flagged Only" checkbox on the "Clips" tab with a dropdown list of database views. The views include "Alerts", "Flagged", "Sentry Confirmed", and several others.
  • Removed the "Alerts" tab because "Alerts" are now accessed by selecting the "Alerts" database view on the "Clips" tab.
  • Added optional URL Parameter: "clipview=X" where X is the internal name for a view. See the UI3 help file for a list of possible values.
Minor changes:
  • Changed Convert/Export icon to look like the one in Blue Iris 5.
  • Fixed bug where if your clip list was empty, the text explaining that was unable to wrap.
  • The date range control no longer has a lighter text color than other controls in the clip filters area.
  • Updated help file to reflect these changes.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@bp2008. Today's response from Ken.

"There is not a separate view.dat for protected on the PC software now, that's why it's not on the UI3. I will put this on my list for consideration to make sure it fits into the design/UI overall."

vacum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello
How do i make UI3 show 24 hour time by default?
I have tried to copy and change different things from ui3.js to ui3-local-overrides.js but no success.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Brian,

I see that you removed the "Alerts" tab. I like the new drop down menu. However, Mary, my partner, doesn't like it since it slows her down watching the neighbors! lol It adds mouse clicks and she can't get there as fast as she used to.

Any chance you could add it back? It would help ensure (MY) domestic tranquility here. LOL!! :) :):):)

Thanks!
Johnny

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol. Can your partner not just leave Alerts selected all the time?

I could add the tab back and make it select the Clips tab and choose Alerts from the dropdown menu, but I think this would just confuse people worse.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No thanks Brian!

It's okay as it is. I just thought you would get a kick out of her reaction....

Johnny

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there somewhere in UI3 where the IP address of the cam is shown? I looked but don't see anywhere.

Fairly often I'll want to pop into a cam quickly to check/change some setting. I have to either refer to my records on my phone or fire up BI to get the IP address. Would be nice to have under properties or elsewhere (if not already there that I missed).

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there somewhere in UI3 where the IP address of the cam is shown? I looked but don't see anywhere.

Fairly often I'll want to pop into a cam quickly to check/change some setting. I have to either refer to my records on my phone or fire up BI to get the IP address. Would be nice to have under properties or elsewhere (if not already there that I missed).
I had the same problem, so I place the last number of the IP address in the camera overlay so it is always visible. Then it is available on any app/client.