Blue Iris Version 5 is right around the corner!

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Simple, because it will be available in six weeks. No one knows what features and functions it has. Only the developer does. So like everyone else you'll have to wait, and I guarantee that you will survive. My point is if $30 is too big of a risk for someone to take they can wait until the official release and then make an informed decision as to whether they want to purchase the upgrade. It's really that simple.
I have no problem with that. I’m of course curious what v5 will bring, but I would say v5 or not it’s good to support active development as bi is. I’m not disagreeing with you

Martin Paul Sr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you think bi 5 will run on a windows home server 2011 (WHS2011) ?

I really do not care about Microsoft support. The machine and software does the job. I will stay at the current level of bi if needed.

Also I really do not like windows 10. I have it on my wife's laptop and it drives me nuts.
I'm even thinking my Windows 7 machine might run BI 5.
It's got a lot of horsepower, but it's a 2012 model which doesn't get Win 10 endorsement from either HP or Microsoft, so I'm not gonna upgrade it to Win 10.
Blue Iris' announcement says no support for XP or Win 2003, min req't is 8.1 and recommends Win 10.
However, it does not mention Windows 7 (or WHS2011, which I never even heard of LOL), so maybe these will run BI 5, or maybe not?
Of course we can also just keep using BI 4.xxxx for some time on our existing Win versions.
We all know how good that is already.

In the end, however, there's nothing wrong with Windows 10, and you can use it like Win 7 if you want (which is what I do at the office all day).
It's very solid and of course compatible with better hardware, and Microsoft is easing up on the mandatory update rules.
We'll all need to advance eventually.
I reckon there are still even some die-hard Win XP users still out there, but what are they saving or gaining really?

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wish v5 would move to Linux-based instead of staying on Windows. Everything else runs neatly in Docker containers, and then BI comes along... VM’s fine for now, but the overhead that Windows adds with all of its “features” isn’t nice for performance.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wish v5 would move to Linux-based instead of staying on Windows. Everything else runs neatly in Docker containers, and then BI comes along... VM’s fine for now, but the overhead that Windows adds with all of its “features” isn’t nice for performance.
For what its worth the dev did say he will be using the latest build tools. This would be possible to port it via mono and run directly or docker. It already exist a docker version running mono in linux, but its impossible to say anything about performance unless you know a lot about how to passthrough devices

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For those who want to try it, I found that the following link works: http://blueirissoftware.com/50/update64.exe

Currently running version 5, UI has changed a lot and for some reason my default storing folder is gone. Don't expect support if you run this unpublished version :)
Can you upload a few screen shots of the GUI? Has it changed since v4?

I don't want to test a pre-release version myself as I don't have a separate sandbox environment.

stiles

n3wb
Reaction score
I reverted to 4.8.6.3 as it was too buggy. It would randomly stop recording to disk and push notifications didn't work. It was just interesting to see the differences. Only thing I noticed was the startup logo and application UI that had changed. The rest were all the same options and layout. Note that this can be an old alpha build of 5.0 as well, who knows!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess if Ken didn't want people finding this then he shouldn't have put the update on such a predictable URL :) It is clearly in heavy development. There were lots of bugs.

Anyway I gave it a spin on an unimportant virtual machine. Here are some screenshots.

* The loading banner / BI logo is different.

* GUI reskinned, clip list moved to left, and some controls added/removed.

* Clip list can be expanded into a grid:

* Two clicks to get into BI Options:

* Some new context menu icons:

* Other windows mostly unaffected except for frame coloring:

* New "Remote" tab under Blue Iris Status window, suggesting that the BI 5 console will be able to act as some manner of remote client for other BI servers. I did not install this on a second system so I have no idea what the extent of its capabilities will be. I am guessing this is going to be a big selling point for BI 5 since it is the only "major" new feature I noticed and the planned release is only about 5 weeks away.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I hate to be a curmudgeon, but I like the old logo a heck of a lot better. The rest looks interesting, though.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I downloaded the new file. It can be opened as an archive in 7-Zip. BlueIris.exe has a date stamp of today, 2019-04-23, and it's version is 5.0.0.12! BlueIrisAdmin.exe is from 2018-05-08, and BlueIrisService.exe is from 2018-09-01, so likely they are unchanged from v4. The help file is from 2019-02-07, I got excited for a bit, checked the "What's New" section, and the latest version mentioned there was 4.8.5. In fact the help file of my installed version is newer.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely Ken forked BI4 to work on BI5 while still being able to do maintenance on version 4.

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, it will add. So you still have your 9 months, plus the new year from the renewal.
A note of caution on this statement. I just purchased the extended support and this does NOT appear to be the case.

I emailed support to see if there is something additional I need to do but after applying the new key to my install all that changed was I am now "Version 5 Eligible" with my original support expiration date.

Last edited:

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@griffths

My support would end on june 16, 2019. I extended / renewed 1,5 month ago.

I am Version 5 Eligible, and the support ends on june 16, 2020.

As far as i know, it added the remaining months. Otherwise it would show the support ending somewhere earlier in 2020, showing as the date i renewed the support on previous year.

Maybe you renewed way to soon, as you still had 9 months?