Blue Iris Video Tutorials

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So someone inadvertently found a pretty big mistake on my Object Detection video. The 2 squares I drew on the screen at 4:17 are NOT 21% and 16.7% but rather they are 3.5% and 2.8%

When I made the video I had the numbers written down for a 480x720 image which is 345,600 pixels in total but when I made the video the image was at 1920x1080 which is a total of 2,073,600.

So when I did the math of 223x319 square = 71,137 I divided that by the 345,600 pixels = 21% NOT the 2,073,600 which it should have been.

I can't edit the video without creating a whole new one so I just updated the description.

SIDE NOTE: I have been meaning to make more videos but have a lot going on. I am going to make a geofencing video soon and should have it out in the next few days!

BobbyBrown

n3wb
Reaction score
I too thank you for these tutorials. I am setting up a schedule from 7-8 AM but my PTZ patrol is taking over and moving the camera I am setting up during the hour that I want it to remain still. Is there something I need to do to stop that function from overriding my delay, which I want to resume after 8AM ?
Thanks in advance.

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, thank you very much for these tutorials. I have been watching these to get everything setup correctly on my system. So far with the help of this, I've been able to setup zones crossings in an area where I get a lot of wind triggered alerts. Have cut those down drastically! Scheduling, motion detection and your other videos are of great help. I hope you keep uploading new ones.

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to give a quick update on my upcoming video: Zones/Hotspots and Zone Crossing - This has been a very extensive video to make. I have spend multiple hours of recording video during conditions that were favorable to not only tell you about how a function work but SHOW you how it works in real time. I have had to wait for very windy days at my house to show different examples of how to eliminate false triggers. I'm sure you guys will like the results. In the meantime I will be releasing hopefully tomorrow a video I made on "Object Detection: Object Travel & Exceeds"

Thank you all for watching :D
Your videos really are top notch, and I sincerely appreciate them.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could you possibly do a video on how to automatically backup "ALERTS" and "FLAGGED" to Google Drive or icloud or Dropbox?
...I worry that as hard drive space runs out and stuff gets overwritten, i won't be able to look back in the future when I need to see some particular event.

sr80

n3wb
Reaction score
Your videos saved me a lot of time and frustration with figuring out profiles/scheduling. Thank you!

DigitalADHD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Like the others here, I truly appreciate the time you have taken, and the quality of the content in your videos. Thank you!

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have learned a lot from your videos... they are much appreciated.
I have a request about your zone crossing videos. Could you do something with crossing multiple zones?
I'm trying to do a AB>C type thing and it doesn't work like I'd expect. Not sure what to tweak. Or if there is a setting for how long to monitor a particular zone or??

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just one note so far, there's no reason to censor local IP address numbers unless it is just to keep clueless people from copying yours verbatim into their own browser and complaining that it doesn't work :)

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just one note so far, there's no reason to censor local IP address numbers unless it is just to keep clueless people from copying yours verbatim into their own browser and complaining that it doesn't work :)
Yeah true... just use to blurring sensitive stuff but your right

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. I am in need of a total system tune up and learning of BI. Still have not addressed by 6TB drive add on not being recognized or recorded to.

Fenderman helped me early on, months ago with an errant click (turned off H.265). I appreciate him and you for helping out the community.

Back to lurking.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hopefully this video doesn't create more questions than it answers lol

Awesome video as always!!....you mentioned a Zwave wireless device sensor for inside the mailbox...what kind would work? I was wondering if you might be able to do a tutorial video for hooking up a wireless such device and/or external motion sensor??...I know it wouldn't be specific to Blue Iris more than what you demonstrated in this video but would be a huge help to many people I think who want to add extra functionality to Blue Iris.....I've had a tonne of mail theft so this would be truly awesome to set up...

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome video as always!!....you mentioned a Zwave wireless device sensor for inside the mailbox...what kind would work? I was wondering if you might be able to do a tutorial video for hooking up a wireless such device and/or external motion sensor??...I know it wouldn't be specific to Blue Iris more than what you demonstrated in this video but would be a huge help to many people I think who want to add extra functionality to Blue Iris.....I've had a tonne of mail theft so this would be truly awesome to set up...
There are lots of home automation systems that can accomplish that. If you are looking for something "rather" easy. Look into the samsung "smartthings" products. The basic hub and products are pretty easy to use and there is a GREAT BlueIris connector to connect the two products.

Sibley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All I can say is, thank you. Because I need to save a clip from earlier today (while still installing the damn things!), and I have no idea how to do that. Or anything. Your videos are going to save me.