CPU running at 100%?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t bother to move things around on disks in the PC. I have set no age limit and have half of the cams set to record to 1 location and the rest to the other.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So typically the below is my usage. The circled one is the BI Service, the first BI is the main app.

1593609462332.png

But when I am playing back video, here's what happens:

1593609509888.png

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually, it doesn't matter if I run it as a service, even if I don't, it jumps to 100% in total when I'm viewing playback, is that normal?

1593609606738.png

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If folks see anything in my settings pics on the previous page that can help me reduce CPU, lmk. Have setup deepstack.cc and the AITools, and "cloned" my cameras which I thought I had read shouldn't increase BI CPU, but seems to have jumped ~10 to 15%, even though neither Deepstack nor AITools.exe services are drawing any CPU power when I took the below screen shot.

60% seems high I would think?

1593615883708.png

1593615938685.png

Reaction score
I had a similar problem my CPU was running at 90%. I "Limit decoding" on all my cameras and it reduced all my CPU to 20%.
LimitDecoding.JPG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are your AIxxxx cameras, CLONES ?For what ?

You are using two GPUs. In the task manager display the TOP CPU user is the BI service, as it is using GPU 0 (inlet) to decode the video. The other processes is using GPU 1 ( NVIDIA) , This is similar to my personal setup, I use the Intel GPU to process the video, and the NVIDIA as my display video card.

I am not familiar with ALPRD.

The limit decodeing is an interesting setting, there is a lot of different opinions on its use. If limit decoding is checked, then when you display a video CPU will jump. If limit decoding is unchecked then the video is processed as it is received. In certain cases the video needs to be decoded to do motion processing. I have limit decoding check on cameras that do not do motion processing, and unchecked on cameras with motion processing. If you have your video up on a monitor all the time I would leave it unchecked.

In recent releases a new feature has been added to BI, the use of sub-streams to do motion processing. There is less data in a substream so it takes less CPU to process motion detection. The recording is still at a high quality. BUT as a new feature in BI it has some bugs. I prefer to let new features age before use, an old saying "you lead you bleed".

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are your AIxxxx cameras, CLONES ?For what ?

You are using two GPUs. In the task manager display the TOP CPU user is the BI service, as it is using GPU 0 (inlet) to decode the video. The other processes is using GPU 1 ( NVIDIA) , This is similar to my personal setup, I use the Intel GPU to process the video, and the NVIDIA as my display video card.

I am not familiar with ALPRD.

The limit decodeing is an interesting setting, there is a lot of different opinions on its use. If limit decoding is checked, then when you display a video CPU will jump. If limit decoding is unchecked then the video is processed as it is received. In certain cases the video needs to be decoded to do motion processing. I have limit decoding check on cameras that do not do motion processing, and unchecked on cameras with motion processing. If you have your video up on a monitor all the time I would leave it unchecked.

In recent releases a new feature has been added to BI, the use of sub-streams to do motion processing. There is less data in a substream so it takes less CPU to process motion detection. The recording is still at a high quality. BUT as a new feature in BI it has some bugs. I prefer to let new features age before use, an old saying "you lead you bleed".
They're clones for use with Deepstack and AITools (artificial intelligence for human/vehicle detection).

It's not what is causing the high CPU usage though, maybe an extra 5 to 10%. I can't figure out why my CPU usage is as high as it is given I don't think my camera usage is high.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lets focus on the CPU utilization problem. What is your CPU I7-6700 ?

As an example I am running 13 cameras at 650 MP/S on a i7-4790 at 22% CPU load. There are also 10 clone cameras used to write backup data. Of the 13 cameras only 9 have simple motion detection. There are 1 5mp camera and the remainder are 2mp cameras.

Look at the Blue Iris Update Helper for a i7-6700 a t 1170 MP/SEC it is running at 55%. OR 1050 MP/SEC at 41%. The stats ca vary all over the place depending on the configuration and motion detection.

You show 450 MP/SEP in one of your screen shots. You shoul be at about 20-30% CPU load.

1) Please provide a screen shot of the IP cameras status. be sure to include the total MP/SEC at the bottom f the screen.
2) Provide a screen shot of windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
3) on the 8MP camera a screen shot of the camera video configuration from the camera (FPS, bit rate, iframe, encode method, bit rate type, maxbitrate...)
4) from BI the the 8MP camera
a) general tab
b) video tab,
c) the IP camera configuration tab
d) record tab
e) record format tab

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read this post... I would never have thought about the power supply. Post #9

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Hmmm...that's interesting. Will check the power supply when I get home.

Folks have also suggested my bit rates are way too high for my non LPR Cams.

1593777879845.png

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What resolution are you running?

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Folks have also suggested my bit rates are way too high for my non LPR Cams.
No, your bitrates are not too high; 370kB/s = 2960Kb/s, 779kB/s = 6232Kb/s—pretty much as expected (wish Blue Iris would display them correctly in kilobits instead of kilobytes, which literally nobody uses for videostreams, bitrates or networking!). I would suggest looking into the new substreaming feature to lower your CPU usage. I know it's a new feature, but it's working great for me!

What resolution are you running?
Take another look at the post immediately before yours. All but one camera is 4 MP (2K), so undoubtedly 2688 × 1520.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah yeah I see that. I never do that conversion in my head. I'd rather see the actual resolution stated (X x Y or 1080, 720, etc...)

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lets focus on the CPU utilization problem. What is your CPU I7-6700 ?

As an example I am running 13 cameras at 650 MP/S on a i7-4790 at 22% CPU load. There are also 10 clone cameras used to write backup data. Of the 13 cameras only 9 have simple motion detection. There are 1 5mp camera and the remainder are 2mp cameras.

Look at the Blue Iris Update Helper for a i7-6700 a t 1170 MP/SEC it is running at 55%. OR 1050 MP/SEC at 41%. The stats ca vary all over the place depending on the configuration and motion detection.

You show 450 MP/SEP in one of your screen shots. You shoul be at about 20-30% CPU load.

1) Please provide a screen shot of the IP cameras status. be sure to include the total MP/SEC at the bottom f the screen.
2) Provide a screen shot of windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
3) on the 8MP camera a screen shot of the camera video configuration from the camera (FPS, bit rate, iframe, encode method, bit rate type, maxbitrate...)
4) from BI the the 8MP camera
a) general tab
b) video tab,
c) the IP camera configuration tab
d) record tab
e) record format tab
Just getting back home. No issues on power supply as it's a 290W internal supply.

PC is a Dell Precision Tower 3620.
CPU is i7-6700
32GB of RAM
External NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 card
Has dual 500gb SSD's in a RAID config
Dual 3TB WD Purple Drives

1593875763724.png

1593875780238.png

3. I don't have an 8MP Camera, but here are the video settings of my various cams:

Driveway and Front Door Hikvision DS-2CD2347G1-LU
1593875852667.png

Garage, Garage Door, Loggia Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS
1593875897903.png

"Backyard" Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS
1593875937853.png

LPR Dahua z12E
1593875970731.png

All Cameras except for LPR are set in BI as follows:
1593876069926.png
1593876093240.png1593876138973.png

1593876170363.png1593876183624.png

The LPR I have at 30FPS vs 15 for all other cameras.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know nothing about the configuration of the sub streams for motion detection.
I know nothing about the AI processing.

1) on your master camera in your clone set check the clone master on the general page.
2) on the clone camera make sure the clone master is unchecked.
3) On the clone camera uncheck the motion sensor, unless it is required for your additional processing.
4) on the clone camera check "limit decoding unless required" on the video tab, unless it is required unless it is required for your additional processing.
5) on the clone camera check hidden on the General tab (so it does not show on any displays) unless it is required for your additional processing.

6) I would reduce the frame rate on the second stream camera to match the frame rate on the main stream camera, (i do not use secondary streams at all)
7) increase the receive buffer (MB) size to between 15 to 20 on the Network IP camera configuration

On the Network IP camera configuration screen I have never changed the Main stream parameters.

===============================
side note

Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

there is no reason to redact local ip addresses when posting.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know nothing about the configuration of the sub streams for motion detection.
I know nothing about the AI processing.

1) on your master camera in your clone set check the clone master on the general page.
2) on the clone camera make sure the clone master is unchecked.
3) On the clone camera uncheck the motion sensor, unless it is required for your additional processing.
4) on the clone camera check "limit decoding unless required" on the video tab, unless it is required unless it is required for your additional processing.
5) on the clone camera check hidden on the General tab (so it does not show on any displays) unless it is required for your additional processing.

6) I would reduce the frame rate on the second stream camera to match the frame rate on the main stream camera, (i do not use secondary streams at all)
7) increase the receive buffer (MB) size to between 15 to 20 on the Network IP camera configuration

On the Network IP camera configuration screen I have never changed the Main stream parameters.

===============================
side note

Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

there is no reason to redact local ip addresses when posting.
Thanks... That's what I thought about local IP addresse but so many folks redact I thought maybe I was missing something!

Will go through the rest In a bit. Just removed 3 of my older domes as I sold them on Kijiji.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
This could be as simple as too many cameras for your CPU or the resolutions is too great or the fps is too much. Have you experimented with lower resolution?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@pbc
How are you raiding mirroring the C drive ?
Is the new and stored on the sam drive ? are you using stored ?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
290W isn't a large supply. You've added in a graphics card - note most manufacturer supplied systems have power requirements very carefully calculated and the PSU's matched almost exactly to the requirements with very little margin for extra to keep OEM costs down. Adding in an accessory graphics card after the fact will increase the power draw.

Using the NewEgg PSU calculator (many others out there, they all differ slightly in results), your system comes out at 360W assuming you have 4 hard drives & 1 SATA for storage. I also assumed 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4 (adding accessory hard drives for Blur Iris will also increase the power draw):

If they system was problematic before the addition of the GPU, it's probably not the original cause, obviously, but if it is power related, it could make it worse.

I have noticed on older pc's (not CCTV / BI) that sometimes when they go slow they start to report high power usage. Sometimes checking the windows logs can show error messages relating to "power kernal" ie the CPU isn't getting enough power. In older systems this can be the PSU or Motherboard PSU caps wearing out and no longer supplying the CPU with enough power. Not saying it's necessarily the case here, just something to bear in mind in so far as if you can't solve it by other means, maybe a new PSU or if that doesn't cure it MB might be in order. Not quite sure how you could test PSU without swapping it out if you have another good one to test with.

Another thing to try is test windows for errors and resintall if necessary.

Run SFC in command promt. If you get unfixable errors, run DISM.exe to do furtehr checks. From these commands you can also resintall windows insitu with no loss of data / programs etc. My desktop system returned power kernal errors but these have cease since I reinstalled windows. That said, it still runs out of breath vs Video editing these days - new pc for me before long.