Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mgermano75

n3wb
Reaction score
Perfect; I used your downgrader firmware link, and I was able to revert to 5.2.5 version. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Have a nice day

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to change the language of my (Chinese) DS-2CD2942F-I camera to English. I tried changing the language with hiktools, but it does not work. The custom firmware bricks my camera.

The camera runs now on Chinese firmware version 5.3.0. (The camera itself was delivered with 5.3.3, but I only managed to unbrick the camera with Chinese firmware v5.3.0.)

Can someone help me with changing the language of this camera to English?

Thank you.

MM

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First off, huge huge thanks for posting all this.
I ordered 7 cameras, sort of knowing what I was getting into. But some of them came with varying firmware.
So I was able to fix all but 1 so far.

That leads me to my question. I have a 2432f-iw with a manufacture date of 9/2015 and firmware of 5.3.
I used the downgrader on this one successfully once. However I turned on the wifi, and thinking the best way to clear the data since you can't turn it off was to re-flash.
Camera won't take any firmware the second try. I've tried the original 5.3 in chinese, both of the 5.2.5 downgrade versions. Basically if I found it posted in these forums I tried to use it.
I've seen others with the same problem. I get the file copy complete, but never see updated successfully. I've tried waiting a few hours, killing the TFTP, wait a few more hours, reboot the camera.
It always comes up in the mini OS with the 192.168.1.64 IP address and the 4.0.8? firmware. It doesn't appear to be stuck in a boot loop. But I can't telnet to it to pull any of the logs.
The PC is fine, and works with other cameras. Its a laptop with winXP I keep around for stuff like this. I'm on an isolated network using a hub. I've tried a few different power sources including the POE injector.
Kind of at a loss on this one. Any ideas?

BUG

n3wb
Reaction score
I have problem with Ezviz on new DS-2CD2032F-I. FW V5.2.5 build 141201.
On box: Mf date 10/215, Fw 5.3.0_150513

I get error message "
the device can not be added"
Should i try Downgrader to fix it?

SMB

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got 12 Hikvision cameras total. I recently purchased several DS-2CD2632F-IS Cameras from China. The Sticker reads V5.3.0_150513. The seller must have converted them to run English Language software. I had the camera on a LAN segment with my other cameras and had TFTP running while upgrading my other cameras. Somehow during the process this camera was power cycled and loaded an English version of software. Since that time the camera has been inoperative. I can boot it and it will load from TFTP. I do get the "Completed File transmit" message but never get the expected “Device [192.0.0.64] system update completed!”. This happens with what ever version of software I try, even the "Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English" being discussed here. I suspect I need to load the official 5.3.0 Chinese version to get the camera operational again and then try to load "Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English". Problem is I can not locate a copy of official 5.3.0 Chinese version. Can anyone provide a source for the needed file or recommend a better course of action?
Thanks,
Steve

systmworks

n3wb
Reaction score
This site is such a great resource.
I have been searching for a list of pros and cons for the various firmware versions, to identify the best one for me to use. Ive seen lots of comments with pieces of info, but not one overall explanation of the differences and why choose 1 over another.

I currently have 7 Hikvision cameras (all Chinese models, hacked to English), connected to two 7608 NVR's (also Chinese hacked to EN):
- model 2332 turret with v5.2.3
- model 2432 indoor with v5.2.3
- model 2432 indoor with v5.3.3
- model 2335 turret with v5.3.3

I see several threads talking about downgrading to 5.2.5. What are the pros and cons of this vs 5.2.8 ? Or 5.3.3 or 5.3.5 etc ?

I am unclear if the MDT hack is only used to change the displayed languages, or if it means I can use it to run a Chinese camera on an International NVR ? I am considering buying an International NVR (paying around $50 more than Chinese hacked to English) but not if its going to give me more problems than staying on a Chinese model.

Thanks for any help. Id like to standardize all my cameras on a single firmware version if possible.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is lack of sharing, if you have a firmware given to you by your supplier SHARE IT!
Make a post telling what version of firmware it is and what build date of camera and model it's for.
At the moment the only option for 5.30 Chinese camera's is the downgrader unless you another option.

SMB

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I'm downloading the code now.

Steve
I got the file and will try it in the morning. The Hikvision download server must be on dial-up. It took all day to get this file. It was Sooooooo slow and kept failing.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We should have a FIRMWARE VAULT here at ipcamtalk.com. But I fear it might be built out of BRICKS. Har.
Not had 1 hikvision camera yet that can't be recovered, Thanks to the min-system.
But most people come here 1st or won't help with sharing the files they get from reseller to help others.

systmworks

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies for all the questions.. just trying to wrap my head about the affect of using various different firmware versions (eg should I be trying to get the highest 2.x version, or should I try and get 3.x).
And why we need to rely on firmware from sellers, rather than using (or using the tools/processes on this site to modify) the various official firmware files available from Hikvision ?

What happens if you apply an official firmware file (2.x or 3.x versions) from Hikvision.com (or the Chinese site) to a Chinese NVR ?
I expect it reverts the language to Chinese only, but cant that be fixed with the MDT hex edit hack ? Or by using the Firmware Mod Tool ?
Do the official firmware files (on both the English and Chinese Hikvision sites) include multiple languages (incl English) and they just need tweaking to allow those languages to be chosen ?

I guess to sum it up, if you could choose any firmware, would you want the latest version of v2.x, or the latest version of 3.x, and why ?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend a little reading within the forum.
As Hikvison have implemented various counter measures to try and stop the grey market, hiktools only works on older models of nvr and camera's.

systmworks

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I am up to page 7 of the "Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware" thread.. there is sooo much info. Even in the more useful threads that have been sticky'd there are pages and pages of text with a few nuggets of gold (new useful info) hidden in them.

I am not yet up to the page where Hikvision changed the firmware so the hiktool stops working. And if I understand correctly, the official Chinese firmware does not include English language, so to get English you must use an English firmware, but use MDT hack to make it look like a Chinese firmware to a Chinese NVR.

From an NVR point of view, sounds a lot easier if I pay a few $ more for the NI international model so I can always upgrade the firmware (my current 2 NVRs are both Chinese hacked to English, one is 3.0.8, the other is newer).
My only concern buying an international NVR is will an NI model work with my existing 7 Chinese cameras.

Reaction score
I reached out to the vendor on the issue I'm having. If they provide firmware I'll definitely share it.
I can't seem to leverage the mini system. I always try to read as much as I can before I ask questions, but I might have missed something.
For now I'll just wait and see if the vendor sends me anything.

Reaction score
I will need to preface my issue with how I got to where I am. I have (4) 2132s that have been in operation for about a year now with no issues using iVMS-4200. I recently purchased a 7116n-sn/p NVR. After I installed the NVR, it could not see my 2132s. Reading elsewhere, the suggestion was made that the firmware in the cameras needed updated so the NVR could see them. I downloaded the file from Hikvision and then I took one of my 2132s and installed the updated firmware. The NVR could now see it, but the date in the viewer screen is now in Chinese. Trying to access the camera through browser, I got the " firmware language mismatch: /home/webLib" message which has brought me to this thread.

I down loaded and attempted to back it out using the method that whoslooking put up here. The TFTP never sees the camera, or the camera is not doing what it is suppose to.

I open the TFTP program in the same folder that the digicap.dav file is located, then plug in the camera, but nothing happens. I even left the TFTP and camera up over night after reading one post here that it may take a long time.

I had wireshark running and could see the camera come online with the IP address that I assigned it. So I know it's on the network and getting power.

Any ideas for me at this point on what I may be doing wrong or what else I can do?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
After I installed the NVR, it could not see my 2132s
Did you connect the cameras to the PoE ports, or leave the connected to the LAN as before?

I downloaded the file from Hikvision
What and where from?
What was the original firmware version in the 2132?

I had wireshark running and could see the camera come online with the IP address that I assigned it.
Try using the Hikvision tool SADP to find the camera, and see what it reports about the apparent firmware version and serial number.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If these are older 2014 camera you will need to downgrade. Use the 5.16 firmware in my signature.
This will make them English again.
Then do the mtd hack (watch the video)
After you have done the mtd hack, if your camera's are 2014 model upgrade with original English fw.