Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I went with the TP-Link managed for now. Will see how it goes... I have a bunch of other TP Link stuff so maybe it will make sense to have the same brand ... if this one is lame then I definitely will try one of your suggested options

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using TP-Link POE switches here, they work just fine! No real issues with this and BI but I've not gotten into presets or any other advanced features.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK...now...a question...any benefit to "link aggregation" or "trunking" of ports?...my setup is gonna be 4 cams going into POE switch...then that switch to another TP-LINK Gigabit switch...then to ASUS Router...I was reading a bit about this...I know it doesn't increase your speed but basically adds more lanes to the highway....anyone set this up?...would my router need to also have it activated for it to work?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK...now...a question...any benefit to... "
If you really want to go WAY over the top with networking, the easiest and most reliable way is to use those SFP ports on The TP-Link gear.

It is your money to with it as you wish but I use SFP connections for links that I need electrically isolated and they work great.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you really want to go WAY over the top with networking, the easiest and most reliable way is to use those SFP ports on The TP-Link gear.

It is your money to with it as you wish but I use SFP connections for links that I need electrically isolated and they work great.
I wish I could, but I've already re-purposed the cat 5e phone lines in the walls....installing SFP lines aren't an option at this point...I'm just trying to see if these link aggregation/trunking things can help
with things like latency when I'm on wifi to view the cams and stuff...I'm guessing I'd need to turn those things on from my router as well as any switches to get them set up right?...I already know my HP Proliant server can't handle all the data and video CPU-wise...am I right that VLANS only improve security, nothing to do with network performance?

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone have a VPN with a Apple Airport Extreme? I dont think this router supports VPN, but I read you can port forward to allow other means for a VPN. Anyone have links to a discussion like this?
Does not support VPN and FYI Apple is getting out of the router business. Have a Synology RT2600ac.

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had this camera for a few weeks and just got a round to installing it today everything fired up well except it will not tilt up and down, side to side and zoom in and out work fine but when I try to tilt down or up it moves just slightly and then starts to jitter like it has a shipping lock or something installed. Thought I would check on here for any clues to what the problem maybe before going back out in the rain today. Thanks

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had this camera for a few weeks and just got a round to installing it today everything fired up well except it will not tilt up and down, side to side and zoom in and out work fine but when I try to tilt down or up it moves just slightly and then starts to jitter like it has a shipping lock or something installed. Thought I would check on here for any clues to what the problem maybe before going back out in the rain today. Thanks
the camera is shipped with a thin strip of tape on the ball probably to keep it from moving around during transit

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to buy myself one of these Starlight PTZ's but I'm torn between the newer SD59230U-HNI. I see some small differences in specs between this and the SD49225t-hn so I was curious what the general view was between them? Especially someone that might have gone from the 49 to the 59?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking to buy myself one of these Starlight PTZ's but I'm torn between the newer SD59230U-HNI. I see some small differences in specs between this and the SD49225t-hn so I was curious what the general view was between them? Especially someone that might have gone from the 49 to the 59?
So, my thoughts, as I have three SD59225's in service, and a SD49225 on the way.

Biggest Factor: Price is 2 - 1. $620 for SD59230: $310 for the SD49225. Do not buy the 59 for tracking. It's still in its infancy, and has a few bugs to work out going forward. If you want pro tracking, consider the SD6AE240V-HNI

Power. SD49 states POE+ (25.5w), but some have had success with standard POE (15.4w) with the 49. I can confirm the SD59 uses about 12.5w without IR on, and about 18.5 with both IR's on, (near & far). Some have got the 59 going over standard POE as well. The 49 can be powered by a 12v PS, the 59 comes with a 24V AC/3A power supply, which is much larger.

Zoom: Obviously the 30x over the 25x is approx 100 more feet of DORI identify distance, and 827 more feet of detection ability

IR: 50 more meters of IR distance in the 59 over the 49. (150 meters vs 100 meters)

Both have the same internals and lens (2.8" Starvis sensor and F1.6 lens), although the 59 is a hair more macro and telephoto. The 49 has a wider FOV at 1x zoom.

I'd recommend the SD49225T-HN. Again, don't get the 59 for its tracking capabilities alone. The SD59225U-HNI is only $200 more, but not worth the extra $$ for its tracking alone, IMHO.

SD

Last edited:

HereBull

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, my thoughts, as I have three SD59225's in service, and a SD49225 on the way.

Biggest Factor: Price is 2 - 1. $620 for SD59230: $310 for the SD49225. Do not buy the 59 for tracking. It's still in its infancy, and has a few bugs to work out still. If you want pro tracking, consider the SD6AE240V-HNI

Power. SD49 states POE+ (25.5w), but some have had success with standard POE (15.4w) with the 49. I can confirm the SD59 uses about 12.5w without IR on, and about 18.5 with both IR's on, (near & far). Some have got the 59 going over standard POE as well. The 49 can be powered by a 12v PS, the 59 comes with a 24V AC/3A power supply, which is much larger.

Zoom: Obviously the 30x over the 25x is approx 100 more feet of DORI identify distance, and 827 more feet of detection ability

IR: 50 more meters of IR distance in the 59 over the 49. (150 meters vs 100 meters)

Both have the same internals and lens (2.8" Starvis sensor and F1.6 lens), although the 59 is a hair more macro and telephoto. The 49 has a wider FOV at 1x zoom.

I'd recommend the SD49225T-HN. Again, don't get the 59 for its tracking capabilities alone. The SD59225U-HNI is only $200 more, but not worth the extra $$ for its tracking alone, IMHO.

SD
Thanks for the detailed response! I got a bit impatient and actually got a SD59225T-HNI instead from Andy yesterday, figured the tracking would be fun to toy with, lol. Next one I'll buy will probably be the 49 then :D

The 49 series is just such a good deal its crazy!

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response! I got a bit impatient and actually got a SD59225T-HNI instead from Andy yesterday, figured the tracking would be fun to toy with, lol. Next one I'll buy will probably be the 49 then :D

The 49 series is just such a good deal its crazy!
You will be more than happy with the daytime tracking with the SD59. It's very solid. I have zero regrets with mine. A little more difficult with the darker scenes. Remember that every install is unique and custom in regards to its ambient light available. YMMV.

SD

MarcW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, you have add one yourself.
I just purchased and setup a SD49225T-HN and i assumed it has a built in mic...the software seems to think so and there is a little slot on top of the PTZ ball that I thought was where the mic was located.

is there really no built in microphone? And if not, is there a standard one Dahua sells or recommends. I assume you cannot simply purchase a mic from Radio Shack and stick in in there. ;)

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just purchased and setup a SD49225T-HN and i assumed it has a built in mic...the software seems to think so and there is a little slot on top of the PTZ ball that I thought was where the mic was located.

is there really no built in microphone? And if not, is there a standard one Dahua sells or recommends. I assume you cannot simply purchase a mic from Radio Shack and stick in in there. ;)
Here I can run the search tool and find it for you. This explains it:

SD42212T-HN have onboard microphone?
Although that's the 12x version, the SD49225 has the same inputs/outputs. You have to add an external mic to it, which can be beneficial anyway as they are extremely sensitive, and not really pricy.

Two recommended mics are:

This outdoor waterproof mic from Amazon is solid. I have installed 5 so far on 4 - PTZ's and an HDBW5231.
Amazon.com : Microseven M7WP-MIC waterproof outdoor Microphone for M7B57-WPS / M7B77-W / M7D77-POE Or Any IP Network Surveillance Camera & PTZ IP Camera with Audio Interface - An IP camera external microphone : Camera & Photo

External mic with power pass thru, again from Amazon.
Amazon.com : VideoSecu High Sensitive Preamp Mini Audio Pickup Tiny Spy Microphone with Power Bypass for Security Audio Sound Voice Monitoring Recording and bonus Warning Decal WD4 : Audio Component Preamplifiers : Camera & Photo

I recommend these connectors for a simple clean install.
inShareplus 20 Pack 5.5 X 2.1mm Barrel Male and Female 12V DC Power Jack Adapter Connector Plug for CCTV Security Camera LED Strip - - Amazon.com

SD

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.