Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do we mount the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS (mini-wedge)? I was thinking about mounting this off a drop ceiling. Is there separate hardware I'd have to purchase?
Drill 3/4" hole, pass through the pig tail. Place a piece(s) of 1x4 board on top of panel where the screws through the cam would hit. Done.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Regarding the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS 2MP IR Mini Dome, the specifications claim a tilt range of 0-80 degrees. Is that relative to the wall/ceiling or the angled section of the body? I'm looking at this camera as a front door camera. It would be mounted next to the door, on the same wall as the door, so the camera would need to be aimed straight out, almost perpendicular to the wall.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It will point "almost" straight out. With the H and V FOV of the 2.4mm, you should be fine, and not even notice the 10 deg from straight out if you place it at chest height. what you will notice is that you might want it 3 feet further away than you can place it, which is why many place it at around 7 feet up, angled down.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Regarding the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS 2MP IR Mini Dome, the specifications claim a tilt range of 0-80 degrees. Is that relative to the wall/ceiling or the angled section of the body? I'm looking at this camera as a front door camera. It would be mounted next to the door, on the same wall as the door, so the camera would need to be aimed straight out, almost perpendicular to the wall.
I did almost the same thing you are looking at doing. I mounted the camera roughly 6 feet off the ground, next to the front door. I discovered a few things.

• Based on where I had an existing hole already drilled, I was not able to mount the camera the way it was shown in the manual. I mounted it rotated 90 degrees. So the dome is on the left side of the housing as you face it. The camera itself rotated in the housing so I was able to set it up as normal. (I did not have to flip the image in software since I physically rotated the camera itself within the housing.)
  • I did not end up aiming it straight out. With the 2.4 lens, I angled it towards the door so its aimed across the opening. The FOV is wide enough on this that aiming straight out showed me a HUGE amount of wall. Which is pointless. Angling the camera allowed me to frame the view with the wall on one side and the actual plane of the front door on the other side. Which is nice since it covers the entire area that I want to watch
  • I did not paint the camera as I want it noticeable by the door as a deterrant. That being said, it seems like people either ignore it completely, or assume its a funky doorbell camera. Either way, I get a nice clear facial shot from everyone that approaches my door.
I wouldn't worry too much about the tilt range as you can spin the cam in the housing to point it just about anywhere you need it.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did almost the same thing you are looking at doing. I mounted the camera roughly 6 feet off the ground, next to the front door. I discovered a few things.

• Based on where I had an existing hole already drilled, I was not able to mount the camera the way it was shown in the manual. I mounted it rotated 90 degrees. So the dome is on the left side of the housing as you face it. The camera itself rotated in the housing so I was able to set it up as normal. (I did not have to flip the image in software since I physically rotated the camera itself within the housing.)
  • I did not end up aiming it straight out. With the 2.4 lens, I angled it towards the door so its aimed across the opening. The FOV is wide enough on this that aiming straight out showed me a HUGE amount of wall. Which is pointless. Angling the camera allowed me to frame the view with the wall on one side and the actual plane of the front door on the other side. Which is nice since it covers the entire area that I want to watch
  • I did not paint the camera as I want it noticeable by the door as a deterrant. That being said, it seems like people either ignore it completely, or assume its a funky doorbell camera. Either way, I get a nice clear facial shot from everyone that approaches my door.
I wouldn't worry too much about the tilt range as you can spin the cam in the housing to point it just about anywhere you need it.
You mean 2.8 lens right?

Any chance you can post some pics? I want to mount one of these by my front door also so curious how your view looks.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah. Its the 2.8 lens. Typo there. :)
How do you like this camera for the front door. Looks great. Do you have any installation pictures? Or screen shots of people comming up to the door?

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do you like this camera for the front door. Looks great. Do you have any installation pictures? Or screen shots of people comming up to the door?
So far I'm liking it alot. Its small, fits nicely next to the door, and it seems to be working well. I have photos of the install and the view in this thread:

Backyard camera orientation suggestion

I'll have to dig around and see if I have any screen shots of people coming up to the door. I usually don't get much traffic to my door. :)

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I was hoping someone can help me out.
I am looking to purchase 4 outdoor cameras. I dont like the red LED for night vision, so I noticed that these starlight cams dont have that and use the ambiant lighting around to amplify the picture.
Unfortunately I am on a bit of a budget and am looking for a good night vision cam. Though I LOVE the 2mp starlight cam that the OP posted a video on youtube about compared to a 4mp non startlight cam, but unfortunately that one appears to be way over budget.

Inside the house I have a few Hikvision cams 2032's, but for the outside I would prefer something a bit more discreet in terms of the red LEDs.

I found HFW4431R-Z on Ali for a decent price, but not sure if it falls under this category nor if anyone actually tested this cam for what it is and what it can do.

Hope someone can shed some light :)

FORGOT TO MENTION..
All these cams would be recording to a Synology or QNAP NAS using their appropriate software (Surveillance Station)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua Starlights do have IR emitters that will glow red. You have the option to disable them in the web interface. If you have good ambient light without them, your image quality may be good.

There should be a separate review thread for the 4431, plus I think at least two threads on trying to get the 5231 to work with Synology or QNAP.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Dahua Starlights do have IR emitters that will glow red. You have the option to disable them in the web interface. If you have good ambient light without them, your image quality may be good.

There should be a separate review thread for the 4431, plus I think at least two threads on trying to get the 5231 to work with Synology or QNAP.
Oh so 5231 doesnt work with Synology/Qnap? I thought that all dahua and hikvisions work... I guess worst case I can maybe try to set up a shared folder on the NAS and have BI run on a VM and record to the NAS that way...but I'd prefer the Synolog/Qnap route :(

Do you or anyone else have a photo of the IR emitters turned on at night on this cam? So I can see how bad/not bad it actually is.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh so 5231 doesnt work with Synology/Qnap? I thought that all dahua and hikvisions work... I guess worst case I can maybe try to set up a shared folder on the NAS and have BI run on a VM and record to the NAS that way...but I'd prefer the Synolog/Qnap route :(

Do you or anyone else have a photo of the IR emitters turned on at night on this cam? So I can see how bad/not bad it actually is.
It is best to have IR at night unless your area is really lit up. Black and white usually produces much sharper video than in color. There are two little red circles on the camera, not sure why you think this is bad. I would be more focused about video quality than the red dot on the cam.

I'm not sure how well an image can capture the IR light but here are the pics I have

20171025_201951.jpg

20171025_200815_1508981927874.jpg

In the pictures it looks more purple and faint than in real life I believe. So I don't think a picture helps all that much.

Cool looking effect on how my cell phone camera picks up the IR light.

20171025_202001_1508981933102.jpg

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks man :)
Now to worry about Synology lol I have a DSM which has not been updated in a little while, but the Surveillance Station is an old version 7.x which does not support H.265 :(

Bjf

n3wb
Reaction score
Drill 3/4" hole, pass through the pig tail. Place a piece(s) of 1x4 board on top of panel where the screws through the cam would hit. Done.
Sorry for being a little dense here but... If I'm trying to flush mount this to stucco next to my door would I just drill a 3/4" hole and fish the cable thru the other side?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for being a little dense here but... If I'm trying to flush mount this to stucco next to my door would I just drill a 3/4" hole and fish the cable thru the other side?
Yes, if you are wanting to hide the pigtail inside the wall.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest where else I could find a reputable vendor to buy a IPC-HFW4231S 6MM Mini bullet?
I have purchased my other cameras from Andy but he says he does not have this in 6MM.
I see them here and there on Ali but afraid to trust anyone other than a known source like Andy on AE.

P.S. My link goes to the correct Dahua product page but pretty much none of the other Dahua links throughout this thread or other threads I have tried, including unfortunately the whole lineup on page 1 are working for me anymore...all going to Dahua "page not found" on both mobile and desktop browsers.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest where else I could find a reputable vendor to buy a IPC-HFW4231S 6MM Mini bullet?
I have purchased my other cameras from Andy but he says he does not have this in 6MM.
I see them here and there on Ali but afraid to trust anyone other than a known source like Andy on AE.

P.S. My link goes to the correct Dahua product page but pretty much none of the other Dahua links throughout this thread or other threads I have tried, including unfortunately the whole lineup on page 1 are working for me anymore...all going to Dahua "page not found" on both mobile and desktop browsers.

Dahua just updated their website, and it has broke most of the links in the older post's.

This would be a better choice than the bullet, see if he can get this one in 6mm. Roughly the same price or a little cheaper.
Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion and I agree. My other cameras are the turrets.
However in this specific situation I want the mini bullet because I am going to be experimenting with a ground level view and want it to blend into the landscape as best possible and the mini bullet looks pretty close to my landscape lighting in shape once I paint it to match so it would hardly be noticeable, (at least during the day or with IR off).

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if the bullet you want has one of the m12 lenses that are threaded, and can be replaced easily?

Not ideal, I know, but if you can’t find a reputable dealer on Ali Express...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk