Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
even though Im still somewhat confused on that as I would think 2mp cameras would be kinda of outdated at this point
Not all 2MP cameras are equal. IMO, most are outdated, but some are not. The Starlight models use newer, bigger image sensors. The bigger sensors (1/2.8", or the even bigger 1/1.8") result in larger pixel size (so more light in every pixel), and the newer back-illuminated design allows the sensor to capture more of that light. What's outdated are the consumer-grade cameras that use the smaller 1/3" image sensors with the older front-illuminated design.

The challenge with today's higher megapixel cameras is that even with larger sensor sizes, the extra megapixels result in smaller pixels with less light in them. Dahua's 1831/2831 8MP models are about as good as it gets when it comes to higher MP, but they're still not as light sensitive as the 2MP Starlight models.

Dahua recently announced a new series that has some cameras that use a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor... their minimum illumination specs look better than the 2MP Starlights, so a lot of folks here are really excited for them to start shipping so someone can review it. Price-wise, I think Andy (awesome reseller) mentioned that these wouldn't be cheap, so there's also that...

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not all 2MP cameras are equal. IMO, most are outdated, but some are not. The Starlight models use newer, bigger image sensors. The bigger sensors (1/2.8", or the even bigger 1/1.8") result in larger pixel size (so more light in every pixel), and the newer back-illuminated design allows the sensor to capture more of that light. What's outdated are the consumer-grade cameras that use the smaller 1/3" image sensors with the older front-illuminated design.

The challenge with today's higher megapixel cameras is that even with larger sensor sizes, the extra megapixels result in smaller pixels with less light in them. Dahua's 1831/2831 8MP models are about as good as it gets when it comes to higher MP, but they're still not as light sensitive as the 2MP Starlight models.

Dahua recently announced a new series that has some cameras that use a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor... their minimum illumination specs look better than the 2MP Starlights, so a lot of folks here are really excited for them to start shipping so someone can review it. Price-wise, I think Andy (awesome reseller) mentioned that these wouldn't be cheap, so there's also that...
So are these 4MP coming out Starlight cameras? Are the only Starlight cameras 2MP right now?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So are these 4MP coming out Starlight cameras? Are the only Starlight cameras 2MP right now?
Based on a white paper that someone posted in this thread, it looks like Dahua (international) is creating three Starlight groups. The 2MP Starlights that have been so popular here for the last few years seem to mostly fall under Enhanced Starlight Technology. The new 4MP models coming out look like they're going to fall under Staright+, so they should do even better than the 2MP Starlights.

Basic Starlight Technology

Basic Starlight Technology offers good low-light performance at a more affordable price and is ideal for moderate dark areas. Basic Starlight is best suited for applications that produce lighting similar to that of a full moon without additional light sources. Basic Starlight offers sensitivity down to .008-.009 lux. Recommended scenarios: parks, stadiums or parking lots with some ambient lighting such as street lights.

Enhanced Starlight Technology

Enhanced Starlight Technology is a step up from Basic Starlight, and exclusively uses broad spectrum 2MP sensors. This provides excellent images in near dark conditions, down to .005-.007 lux.

Starlight+ Technology

Starlight+ Technology offers best-in-class light sensitivity, capturing color details in extreme low-light conditions down to 0.0005 lux.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Based on a white paper that someone posted in this thread, it looks like Dahua (international) is creating three Starlight groups. The 2MP Starlights that have been so popular here for the last few years seem to mostly fall under Enhanced Starlight Technology. The new 4MP models coming out look like they're going to fall under Staright+, so they should do even better than the 2MP Starlights.
Do we have any indication on timing?

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Read the white paper, time wise Andy appears to think he may have a unit to test within a month or so. We are building a new house and the Starlight + series could be the ticket but too soon to say. Either way going with 10 or 12 cameras.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Based on @EMPIRETECANDY's post from earlier this morning (here), it looks like he might be able to get a test unit as early as next week. Still doesn't answer the question about when they'll be available for general ordering (or how much they'll cost), but at least hopefully we can see video samples soon!

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question:
So the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED with 1/1.8” chip (0.0016Lux/F1.6 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE) with a F1.6 lens is better than a IPC-HDBW4239R-ASE with a 1/2.8” chip with a F1.0 lens (0.006Lux/F1.0 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)

It seems to use internal leds, is that than making it 4 times more light sensotive than the camera with a much better lens ?

F1.0 captures 6 times the light compared to F1.6 if i understand it correctly.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC, I think the shutter speeds need to be the same when comparing the Lux values:

0.015Lux/F1.6 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE) -- 5542
0.006Lux/F1.0 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE) -- 4239

In that case, the 4239 with bigger lens seems to have better light sensitivity?

Still learning this, so if I'm off hopefully someone will correct me!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Difficult to say as the lens on the 4239 is faster f1 compared to f1.6. So how much is due to the sensor and how much the bigger lens is debatable.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most of these cover the new 1/2.8" Sony Exmor-R Starlight (Eco Savvy) powered cameras that are considerably more affordable than the previous 1/1.9" Sony Exmor Starlight (Ultra) lineup. Most of the Eco Savvy 3.0 cameras street prices are very comparable to there non-starlight counterparts and totally worth the extra money spent given the performance gained.

I've already reviewed the performance of the:

Varifocals:
Ultra Varifocals:
  • Ultra Starlight Bullet w/SD, External Audio & Alarm (4.1mm-16.4mm) IPC-HFW8232E-Z
  • Ultra Starlight Dome w/SD, External Audio & Alarm (4.1mm-16.4mm) IPC-HDBW8232E-Z
  • Ultra WDR Bullet w/SD, External Audio & Alarm (2.7mm-12mm) IPC-HFW8231E-Z
  • Ultra WDR Dome w/SD, External Audio & Alarm (2.7mm-12mm) IPC-HDBW8231E-Z
  • Ultra WDR Z5 Bullet w/SD, External Audio & Alarm (7mm-35mm): IPC-HFW8231E-Z5
  • Ultra WDR Z5 IR Dome w/SD, External Audio & Alarm (7mm-35mm): IPC-HDBW8231E-Z5
Fixed Bullets:
Fixed Turrets:
Domes (not recommended outdoors):
PTZ and Others:
  • 30x Zoom Bullet (4.5mm-135mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SDZW2030S-N
  • Covert Pinhole Camera (2.8mm F2.4) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: IPC-HUM8230-E1
  • CS Mount Box Camera (no lens) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: IPC-HF5231E
  • 180 Degree Panoramic MultiSensor w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: IPC-PFW8601-A180
  • Black Face Lite PTZ 25x (4.8mm~120mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD49225T-HN
  • Black Face Lite PTZ 12x (5.3mm~64mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD49212T-HN
  • White Face Intelligent PTZ 30x (4.5mm~135mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD6C230U-HNI
  • Black Face Intelligent PTZ 30x (4.5mm~135mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD59230U-HNI
  • Black Face Intelligent PTZ 25x (4.8mm~120mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD59225U-HNI
  • Ultra Starlight Dome PTZ 30x (6mm-180mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD65F230F-HNI
  • Ultra Starlight Laser IR PTZ 40x (7.9-316mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD6AL240-HNI
  • Ultra Starlight Laser IR PTZ 30x (6mm-180mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD6AL230F-HNI
  • Ultra Starlight IR PTZ 30x (6mm-180mm) w/SD, External Audio & Alarm: SD6AE230F-HNI

plus more non-IR indoor dome PTZ's that are not appropriate for outdoor use and I cant imagine will be very popular here.
For people new to the video surveillance game, I strongly recommend the varifocal turret to start off with; that way when someone steals your stuff and you come to the realization that wide angle views are not all they are cracked up to be; you can zoom it without replacing the camera.. The varifocals are also the only fixed cams that provide up to 12mm optics..

Unless specified these are all international models and may be available in either PAL or NTSC formats (it makes no difference); english firmware should come from factory and they are firmware updatable.

New Additions:
Ultra
Pro
Eco-savvy 3.0 ePoe

Lite PT(z)
  • 2MP 3x Starlight PTZ Network 2.7mm~8.1mm 3x zoom lens Camera SD12203T-GN
  • 2MP 3x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera 2.7mm~8.1mm 3x zoom lens SD1A203T-GN
  • 2MP Starlight IR PT Network Camera 3.6/2.8mm lens SD1A200T-GN
  • 2MP Starlight PT Network Camera 3.6/2.8mm lens SD12200T-GN
Thanks for this post. I've been on it for a couple hours using it for research. Very Very appreciated.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua Technology2MP Starlight Outdoor PTZ Network Mini Dome Camera with 2.7-11mm Lens

Not a bullet, but the price is goof for what it is.

I think it is unclear what sensors the 2mp Dahua USA cameras use at this point. It takes quite a bit of work to compare the bhphoto offering to international cameras.
In this example, B&H is $100.00 higher than Andy.
US $152.94 5% OFF|Aliexpress.com : Buy SD22204T GN 1080p 2mp mini PTZ IP Camera full hd 4x optical 16xdigital network ptz ceiling mini dome camera from Reliable ip camera full hd suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Review-Dahua SD6CE245U-HNI Starlight PTZ 45x Zoom | IP Cam Talk

I am looking to add a PTZ to the front of my residence. I see that there is a huge disparity in pricing. Budget is not a great concern but I don't want to spend money just for the sake of spending money. I live in a rural area with a prison on one end of the road. My nearest neighbor is actually the prison and there are no other residences within 1/2 a mile. Quite a few interesting characters drive by on weekend visitations. The longest line of view I would have is probably 400 feet. My house is 200 feet off of the roadway.

I would buy the SD6CE245U-HNI but don't want to if I would be satisfied with something less. I appreciate any insight. I've attached a google sat image for an idea of the layout.

View attachment 41869

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
quick question, what's the latest firmware for the 49925? I'm on 04-04-18...have they updated as far as the 5231's to include ability to login to the cam using Chrome and no plugins now?

Thanks

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
quick question, what's the latest firmware for the 49925? I'm on 04-04-18...have they updated as far as the 5231's to include ability to login to the cam using Chrome and no plugins now?

Thanks
I've a 59225 and nope.
In fact I'm dealing with issues in the latest firmware with the ptz and ivs function causing freezing

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any chance with all the newer 4MP cameras being released there could be a sticky for them referencing them, much like this one? Would be extremely helpful. I've found this thread to be immensely useful as a resource & go to point for 2mp cameras.

Also keen to see 5231 knocked out of top position :lol:.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the guide above, just a quick heads up that it looks like it is a Dahua North America guide.

For folks that open it and don’t see their favorite Starlight listed, or notice that the model numbers are different, remember that Dahua North America doesn't "carry" many of the popular international models that folks here use (like the 2231/5231 varifocal turrets), and for the models they do carry, they usually change the model number completely from the international version.