Dahua 4mp, 6mm turrets (IPC-HDW4421C)

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, it seems the only Dahua around are either straight CHINESE or Chinese with CUSTOM English firmware.
Any issues with such custom firmware? (The seller told me with the Chinese with CUSTOM English firmware can not be upgraded)

I made a post asking about this, as I didn't know before that there were Dahua with Chinese with Custom English firmware. I thought they were true English cameras overall.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6537-Aliexpress-Dahua-CHINESE-cameras
I ordered 4 from E&M. It's a great seller (fast shipping with free upgrade to UPS and customer oriented: he even extended my purchase protection by my request since I didn't have enough time to install and test yet).

They are English firmware: meaning you don't need a translator to translate the main menu text. I did find some texts in the Help section that are Chinese (so the original firmware might be hacked english), but I didn't mind that.
It's the latest version as it included the wider resolution. I bought them all as 2.8 mm and the angle is really great (def close to 120 degrees) with good image quality (will post images later on).

I noticed the following parts in the box:
20160110_232645.jpg

What the hell are these? I didn't seem to need it for installing/mounting (i've already installed two of the four).

Also I cannot get it to upload Snaphots by FTP yet (on motion). I will upload my settings later to verify if it is a user issue (most probably).

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What the hell are these? I didn't seem to need it for installing/mounting (i've already installed two of the four).
Guess that's for sealing the rj45 connection. I never use them because I drill a big enough hole so that the pigtail is inside my house/garage/shed. Those extra parts look good in my junk box. :)

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've ordered the 4431c-a which I assume is the newer version of this. Chinese Firmware only available.

I am a bit worried as the seller is sending it via Swedish Post, but I'm in New Zealand. Couldn't get any further away if it tried!

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Guess that's for sealing the rj45 connection. I never use them because I drill a big enough hole so that the pigtail is inside my house/garage/shed. Those extra parts look good in my junk box. :)
I also stuffed the connectors inside the body (it's a bit of a squeeze, but it can fit).
I'm not sure if those parts are for the connector though.

What worries me is the hole where the cables goes out the body. That hole doesn't seem where weatherproof. The parts might be for that area...

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 7578

What the hell are these?
Those are for the RJ45 connection. You assemble them onto the cat5 cable prior to crimping on the connector, and then plug in the RJ45 and then slide the above housing down and connect it to the housing for the RJ45 jack, then tighten everything down and in theory you will end up with a weatherproof connection.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could you post your firmware and info from the web browser menu, I'd like to compare it to mine and see if your's is any newer.
Which cameras did you get? HDW4421C?

Thanks!

I ordered 4 from E&M. It's a great seller (fast shipping with free upgrade to UPS and customer oriented: he even extended my purchase protection by my request since I didn't have enough time to install and test yet).

They are English firmware: meaning you don't need a translator to translate the main menu text. I did find some texts in the Help section that are Chinese (so the original firmware might be hacked english), but I didn't mind that.
It's the latest version as it included the wider resolution. I bought them all as 2.8 mm and the angle is really great (def close to 120 degrees) with good image quality (will post images later on).

View attachment 7578

Also I cannot get it to upload Snaphots by FTP yet (on motion). I will upload my settings later to verify if it is a user issue (most probably).

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could you post your firmware and info from the web browser menu, I'd like to compare it to mine and see if your's is any newer.
Which cameras did you get? HDW4421C?

Thanks!
This is the firmware info (of my IPC-HDW4421C).
dahua firmware.PNG

Btw, I finally got FTP working. The issue was with my router.
I have a Netgear r7000 (Nighthawk) with the ability to use a USB drive and make it accessable/writable by FTP.
But the built-in ftp server by Netgear sends a non-standard reply when the camera tries to create the needed directories (and so the camera aborts after connecting to the FTP and trying to create the directory structure).

I flashed my router with a custom firmware ( Asuswrt-Merlin , which has a different ftp server implementation) and everything works fine with that FTP server!

But the Dahua ftp-snapshot-recording is very user-unfriendly as the snapshots are buried deeply in many directories. Does anyone have a tool or script that can display the snapshots more user-friendly?
If not, then I'm thinking about writing a script that could show the snapshots more user-friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:

ben_r_

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've ordered the 4431c-a which I assume is the newer version of this. Chinese Firmware only available.

I am a bit worried as the seller is sending it via Swedish Post, but I'm in New Zealand. Couldn't get any further away if it tried!
Was thinking about trying one of those as well but I was a little concerned that there is only one seller carrying them. How come no one else on Ali does?! Cant find any reviews on it anywhere either...

gordon861

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, just found this thread via a Google search whilst looking for new CCTV system/cameras. Want to switch from 5 year old analogue to a IP setup.

Could someone here please tell me the length of the leads from the back of the camera to the ethernet socket? Also what diameter hole is needed to allow them to pass through?

The reason I ask is that I have holes drilled through my house walls for the existing system so that the plugs are out of the weather.

gordon861

n3wb
Reaction score
My pigtail measures 13". I usually drill a 1" hole although you might get away with a slightly smaller one.
Thank for that, the holes I have drilled are 25mm (so 1") with a plastic sleeve to guide and protect the wires through the cavity, so it's unlikely that it will fit. I will have to look for a supplier that can also supply the waterproof boxes that fit to the walls for the cameras to sit on.

These are the sort of thing I mean http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/pfa137-1091.html but they seem a little difficult to find online.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just measured the actual diameter of the round rj45 connector and it's actually smaller than some of the rectangular ones. It measured 3/4" (19mm).

gordon861

n3wb
Reaction score
I just measured the actual diameter of the round rj45 connector and it's actually smaller than some of the rectangular ones. It measured 3/4" (19mm).
Thank you for that, now to try and find an AliExpress supplier that will sell the cameras and the NVR at a competitive price. That site could really do with some work I was looking at stuff the other day and found I was looking at two different shops, would rather get it all from one and save shipping costs.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Picked up one of these to get my feet wet playing with Dahua cameras. Have a 3mp Hik turret right now for the front yard but I'm hoping this Dahua has a better nighttime image.

fooey

n3wb
Reaction score
Would be interested in your review @AlpineWatch as this is a model I am interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:

gordon861

n3wb
Reaction score
I have finally got around to picking up some new kit, I got one of the HDW4421C-A cameras and as suggested, the cable will pass through the plastic tubes (external diameter 25mm) that go through the cavity walls. Not installed it outside yet, currently the camera and NVR are on a table inside for messing around with.

I went for a cheaper NVR in the end, DH-NVR4108-P 8Channel 4POE for £125, rather than one of the full size ones. It was about half the price and I was worried about getting hit with import duties on a £240 unit, it'll mean I can buy a larger WD Purple drive for it later too. So far it all seems to work well, the Dahua camera (£69) is much more responsive than the no-name Ebay one (£33) and looking forward to fitting it outside.

One pleasant surprise from the DVR is that it can detect my old analogue DVR over the network and read the individual cameras, so it is possible to phase the switch-over as you can afford cameras rather than do it all on one go.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, these screenshots look nice! i can't believe these 4MP turrets sell for $80.

I'm seriously doubting now whether to go for the hikvision 2332 or these (with a 2.8 mm lens).

Can these camera's also directly record to a NAS (say synology)? And are they compatible with most NVR's?
I'm also wondering how wide the 2.8mm angle would be on this (approx 92 degree?)
Does anyone have experience with this compared to the Hik 2332 (or any other turret) in terms of night performance?