Dahua (Andy) and Blue Iris(Deepstack)

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All, do not know if its the right place or if it should be in the Dahua section, but here it goes :)
I just bought 6 IPC-HDW5442TM-AS (Andy version) and added them to my Blue Iris system, so fare a happy owner of both the cams but also the software :D
By question is, I have been reading a lot both here but also at Blueirissoftware and getting more and more confused if I'm doing it the right way regarding AI/Deepstack, as I read that some are using the CPU/Blue Iris do the detection/motion and other are doing the SMD or IVS.
What is the best way to do it?
I'm running Blue Iris and Deepstack on a hp 600 prodesk g5 sff i5 with 16 GB ram and 4tb internal HDD with Win10

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong way, it all depends in your needs and what you want to be alerted on.

I have 2 5442 cams covering my driveway and I use the built in car and person recognition to trigger alerts via ONVIF to BI. For the rest of my cams which are 5231 cams again I use the built tripwires and intrusion boxes to again send an alert to BI via ONVIF. For these cams my wife likes to watch any wildlife that visits, not that much in the UK to be honest so just accept the increased number of alerts.

So for me no Deepstack, I did try it way back when using AITools, for me it worked great during the day but missed alerts in the evening and since then I updated the driveway cams so using the built in functionality is good enough for me.

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong way, it all depends in your needs and what you want to be alerted on.

I have 2 5442 cams covering my driveway and I use the built in car and person recognition to trigger alerts via ONVIF to BI. For the rest of my cams which are 5231 cams again I use the built tripwires and intrusion boxes to again send an alert to BI via ONVIF. For these cams my wife likes to watch any wildlife that visits, not that much in the UK to be honest so just accept the increased number of alerts.

So for me no Deepstack, I did try it way back when using AITools, for me it worked great during the day but missed alerts in the evening and since then I updated the driveway cams so using the built in functionality is good enough for me.
but would it make sense to combine the trigger from cams with BI/Deepstack (dont know if its possible), so that the trigger is generated from the cameras and BI/Deepstack does the analysis

The 3 of the my cameras are pointing at the backyard, so perhaps I could just use the cameras trigger here (to lower the CPU usage)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to accomplish.

If you do not care about your system putting the Deepstack orange person icon on the alert and giving you a percentage confidence of the AI detection, simply use the built-in AI of the camera. Doing so will keep your CPU down.

Or you can have the camera AI trigger BI and then have DeepStack further confirm it, but that is putting a load on your CPU that might not be needed. It will then also delay any alerts you get by however long it takes DeepStack to analyze it.

DeepStack integration is getting better all the time, but at the moment I find more success with the camera AI. I have a few cameras without built in AI so I do use DeepStack. And a few noncritical cams I use the camera AI and DeepStack to better time the alert images at night when headlight bounce off the street from vehicles was producing alert images without the vehicle in the image.