Dahua NVR or Blue Iris

OOge

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear experts.

Still in the process of buying my camera system. But not sure yet about the choice between a NVR or Blue Iris (or other software).

I want my PTZ cameras (DH-SD50225U-HNI) to record on a different point at night. I was thinking that when camera B detect something the camera A moves to that point also. Not sure if it can be done. And if it can, do I need blue iris or just the NVR.

The reason why is that I assume the tripwire function can't view 360. So if I point the PTZ A (road side) to the right and the PTZ B (side entrance) point to the left side it can trigger the PTZ A to turn and record. During the day the cameras should point to the entrances.

hoping you guys can advice.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dear experts.

Still in the process of buying my camera system. But not sure yet about the choice between a NVR or Blue Iris (or other software).

I want my PTZ cameras (DH-SD50225U-HNI) to record on a different point at night. I was thinking that when camera B detect something the camera A moves to that point also. Not sure if it can be done. And if it can, do I need blue iris or just the NVR.

The reason why is that I assume the tripwire function can't view 360. So if I point the PTZ A (road side) to the right and the PTZ B (side entrance) point to the left side it can trigger the PTZ A to turn and record. During the day the cameras should point to the entrances.

hoping you guys can advice.
Hi @OOge

Re: the question in the title "Dahua NVR or Blue Iris"
There's a lot of discussion on this topic, so do feel free to read the numerous threads on it.
Executive summary: We have many member who prefer a Blue Iris based system on a used i5/i7 newer generation CPU w/windows OS ( watch out for PCs sold which do not have an OS included ) and an external PoE switch.

If you have a particular question about PTZ way points / auto tracking and Blue Iris you may want to search the Blue Iris section for that.

OOge

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200

I know. I've read a lot of Blue Iris and the NVR. But I can't find anything related to the autotracking on this. Please point me to the section where the difference between these choices are mentioned. I can't seem to find if the NVR can do this better or can't. And if blue Iris can.

thanks

DwightMorgan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Auto Tracking wouldn't likely be the term you want. You are looking for a trigger and an action to move to a preset with BI. Looking at BI, you can have a PTZ go to a particular preset based on a trigger. This trigger could be from the camera group. I don't see an obvious option to be able to have a trigger option based on WHICH trigger comes in, but I may be missing it.

OOge

n3wb
Reaction score
So this is not an option for the dahua nvr. Need to make the choice for blue iris and a pc.

Bazzle

n3wb
Reaction score
I have used both.
I now use my Dahua NVR 100%. Nice stand alone, can be accessed from wherever I want, takes own HD's and runs quietly hidden away.
Ive also set mine up with 2 x hdmi and 2 x mouse to be accessed on TV's at each end of my house.
Your question re trip line can be over come using the fence under IVS

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see an obvious option to be able to have a trigger option based on WHICH trigger comes in, but I may be missing it.
I think the way I’ve read about this being done in Blue Iris is to have the triggering camera do an http alert that sends a command to BI that tells the PTZ camera to go to a specific pre-set.

@OOge, the NVRs in the price-range that most folks here go for have minimal processing power. They rely on the cameras to do all of the motion detection and signal the NVR when motion happens. So the motion detection capabilities are basically limited to what each camera is capable of. Also, if you’re going to use a camera’s advanced motion detection (like Dahua’s IVS), the brand of the NVR usually has to match the cameras brand. If you get a Dahua NVR and go to add another brand of camera down the line (say Hikvision), you’re pretty much guaranteed that the Dahua NVR won’t be able to use that cameras advanced motion detection (Hik calls theirs Smart Events), which may limit that cameras usefulness to you.

I started with a Dahua NVR and moved to Blue Iris. I like that BI can do its own motion detection, so I now have the same capabilities on all of my cameras - I’m not limited to what each camera is capable of. Since BI can run custom scripts and commands per camera when it detects motion, it was super simple to have it notify (over the network) my home automation system, so outdoor lights turn on automatically for a few minutes, etc. That’s greatly reduced the ding-dong-ditch game the neighborhood kids play now the lights flip on when they’re 40ft from the house.

Dahua/Hik NVRs can be a good system depending on individual needs. They’re relatively inexpensive, so you can always start with one and see how it goes. If it’s not for you, you can reuse the HDD and sell the NVR.

You might figure out which Dahua NVR you’d get and try asking your PTZ triggering camera in that NVRs review thread. Someone with hands on that NVR model might know the answer or to some clicking around for you to try and find it.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@OOge as others have stated this is not Auto Tracking but more of a 1 camera triggers another to do something at the point of an event (motion for example), a spotter / lookout cam if you will. This can be done by BI or by the Dahua NVR's you just need to pick a platform you are comfortable with. BI is extremely powerful, the NVR is more limited yet depending on your level of knowledge / tolerance can be more user friendly. Make sure to use the Cliff Notes and the search on this forum as it will surface threads already started on this as I list below. Similarly the Dahua manual for the NVR's also talks about this option, classed as PTZ Activation under the Video Detection menu item in the NVR.

Here are the forum threads discussing this option:

Blue Iris

One PTZ cam, different triggers to different presets?

Ptz move to preset when triggered by another camera ?

Dahua NVR Manual

Page 224 right at the bottom where it mentions PTZ activation on an event. Then the corresponding page with the screen shot shows you how you can set motion on 1 channel to trigger Preset, Tour, Pattern etc on a PTZ on a separate channel

Dahua-NVR-(10-11-2-4-5-and-7-series)-users-manual-v4_3_2-201805.pdf

HTH