Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I assumed mine was working fine because every time I walked thru where I know we I had IVS lines, my phone would ding. I got pretty good at ignoring them, but was always aware of them. It was so consistent that for a week or two that I assumed everything was fine. Then I came home one day to a package on the doorstep, and I wasn't notified. Then I checked my logs and realized I was in the group of rebooting NVR's. Now I'm noticing that frequently something will happen that I didn't get alerted on my phone.

I agree about not wanting to go down BI route. I chose this nvr for a few reasons that were important to me. Really sad for these issues. Gonna be a lot of money if we have to send these all back to Andy
I specifically chose the NVR because it draws little power compared to a full PC.

Do you think Andy would offer a refund? I'd be willing to go that route now if I could.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was thinking if somehow we all got a defective batch or something and had (and hopefully were able to) send them back for a replacement.

I certainly don't want a refund, because what's the other option? BI? I'd really rather not buy a new computer and software at 1.5x the cost of the NVR.

All I care about is 24/7 recording and knowing when someone approaches the door (crosses the IVS lines)

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just so i am sure, Your running DVR's with 16ports of POE avaible but are NOT using the POE from the dvr. Instead your using power bricks or a switch that is POI enabled and supplying the power for that camera from the switch?

I know sounds like a stupid question but im just trying to be certain i understand.

Thanks for all the info!
Not stupid at all and here is the reasoning. You are absolutely correct. I am not using any of the POE ports from the NVR. All cams are using secondary power, or an enterprise Hi POE midspan and layer 3 switches. The NVR's are just attached to the home network with the uplink port.

I had 4 new ones ordered and and switched them all to the POE version when this thread started. I wanted them all to have the internal 160w(?) power supply. It was speculated that the external power brick for the NVR may have been causing the issue. Not sure, but when I hand these off, I don't want 100 calls in the middle of the night asking for support.

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm still getting reboots. Usually a couple a day. Andy reassured me that Dahua "is looking into it". Despite tweaking the keyframe settings I'm also having the problem that around motion events I'm missing a couple seconds of video. So far the biggest "intrusions" I've seen are a possum that likes to slowly plog by the camera at night, or rats. In most of these cases the drop out in recording at the motion event is causing me to miss some footage.

The event flagging is particularly important to me since I want to be able to keep an eye on things that are happening during the day. The fact that there is no pre-recording and that events get marked just after the start of the event makes these almost useless as well.

I think at this point regardless of what resolution Dahua finds I'm going to look into using Blue Iris to do my primary recording. Perhaps I'll keep the NVR around to do 24/7 recording; dunno. Between reboots and the fact that it there are stutters in recording right around events, it makes the unit almost completely useless in a surveillance scenario.

Now to go investigate the requirements for a Blue Iris setup!
@Tygunn, I'm getting frame loss as well on all NVR's when a tripwire is activated. Hopefully this is addressed in an upcoming firmware upgrade. I can live with it right now as it's 1/2 - 1 second, and can be shortened with the I-frame set to the FPS rate. I currently am using double the frame rate in all NVR's to keep the compression efficient.

SD

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
this is why the dedicated NVR's kinda suck, very limited options, even if it's not rebooting all the time it's still very limited on how you can tweak it to your needs. I've got the bi box right behind my couch and I don't even know it's there, I wish everything was this quiet lol.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But if it offers the options you want... It's very cost effective compared to another computer especially if you have all cameras as the same brand as the NVR. As long as it actually works as it's supposed to anyway.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So these are all POE NVRs. Mine is definitely a non-POE version. I suppose as a last resort I'll look at buying an oversized power supply and see if that helps.
Yes sir, as stated above, had 4 on order. Had 2 POE & 2 non POE ordered, and switched to all POE versions, even though we will never use any of them.

Handing these off and want the least amount of follow up support.

SD

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
But if it offers the options you want... It's very cost effective compared to another computer especially if you have all cameras as the same brand as the NVR. As long as it actually works as it's supposed to anyway.
maybe, depends how many cams you have, a $300 PC can handle a good number of cameras.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't forget the cost of the BI software. And 32 cameras is a LOT of cameras to max out the 32 channel NVR

OK getting off topic....let's get away from Dahua NVR vs BI machine in this thread.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I assumed mine was working fine because every time I walked thru where I know we I had IVS lines, my phone would ding. I got pretty good at ignoring them, but was always aware of them. It was so consistent that for a week or two that I assumed everything was fine. Then I came home one day to a package on the doorstep, and I wasn't notified. Then I checked my logs and realized I was in the group of rebooting NVR's. Now I'm noticing that frequently something will happen that I didn't get alerted on my phone.

I agree about not wanting to go down BI route. I chose this nvr for a few reasons that were important to me. Really sad for these issues. Gonna be a lot of money if we have to send these all back to Andy
I specifically chose the NVR because it draws little power compared to a full PC.

Do you think Andy would offer a refund? I'd be willing to go that route now if I could.
I was thinking if somehow we all got a defective batch or something and had (and hopefully were able to) send them back for a replacement.

I certainly don't want a refund, because what's the other option? BI? I'd really rather not buy a new computer and software at 1.5x the cost of the NVR.

All I care about is 24/7 recording and knowing when someone approaches the door (crosses the IVS lines)
Whatever you gentlemen decide to do, Andy will stand behind your decisions. He will make it right, accommodate & keep you happy.

SD

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i have nvr5216 16p only connected to monitor ,not even connected to router and only 24/7 constant recording ..so nothing extra and also lot of reboots ..but have blue wd 1t only
Can you use motion detection only and not use smart detection and circumvent the problem? At least this would provide detection events on the playback time line so it's not a sea of recording with no clue of where an event might be. Not a fix but a hold over until a firmware fix maybe.
i will look into it over weekend for now have 4 -5231 turret ..still need to install ptz49 and 1 turret ..would definitely try motion detection ..
mmdb, im confused about the message you posted then the respnce you provided to what looks like a post by shockwave..

You say on your first post your NOT using anything "extra" so i would assume your not using smart detection or motion detection, but you respond to SHOCKWAVE that you will try the motion detection.

Are you currently using any smart detection?

another question, what form of power are you using? I dont know what your power is in Croatia. is it 110v or 220V or ???V and does your DVR have a internal or external power supply?

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no, im not using anything " smart detection or motion detection or anything else "..what i meant to say with "i will try to motion detection(this Sunday, day of work) " is that now i work 16-18 hours per day and don't have time or energy to try to set ivs etc....
we have here 220v ..i have nvr not dvr and its this - nvr 5216-16p-4ks2...and @HMS I honestly don't care that much for ivs and other intelligent things, because cameras are install on my work place i just need to record 24/7.and im really happy with dahua turrets picture comparing with previous analog sh..t
-mine main reason for posting in this tread is to help others detect eventual source of potential problem ...

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. "Dvr vs Nvr" that was my mis-type. I was just trying to be certain on the info. From the looks of things i believe you're the only one with a NVR with Poe that is haveing the same problems that everyone else is having, along with you not using ang of the smart detection features is just puzzeling.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. "Dvr vs Nvr" that was my mis-type. I was just trying to be certain on the info. From the looks of things i believe you're the only one with a NVR with Poe that is haveing the same problems that everyone else is having, along with you not using ang of the smart detection features is just puzzeling.
you're welcome @HMS i really don't care about "reboot problem" i only need 24/7 recording .everything is on pretty much factory settings on nvr .ps have few cats on my work place outside of town and i assume they will just trigger ivs etc and wake me up in middle of night ,lol

Reactions: HMS

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you're welcome @HMS i really don't care about "reboot problem" i only need 24/7 recording .everything is on pretty much factory settings on nvr .ps have few cats on my work place outside of town and i assume they will just trigger ivs etc and wake me up in middle of night ,lol
@mmdb im in the same boat as you for the most part. The smart functions could be nice in the future, but right now i need 24/7 recordings. You say you dont care about the reboit problem, when it occures, how much time are you loosing from your recordings. I thought i read were reboots were takeing a long time. My other fear is a a reboot were the nvr doesnt come back on fully n doesnt start recording again though i havent seen reports of that occurring..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whenever my NVR reboots, there's a ~5 minute gap.

And to add to the awesomeness of this for me, I had no reboots yesterday or today (so far).

Here's what my timeline looks like from Sunday, when I had two:

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 7.20.18 PM.png

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whenever my NVR reboots, there's a ~5 minute gap.

And to add to the awesomeness of this for me, I had no reboots yesterday or today (so far).

Here's what my timeline looks like from Sunday, when I had two:

View attachment 17960
Out of curiosity, in SmartPSS how do you zoom into the timeline?