Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not yet. Crashed again. Now it's literally almost on the hour. This time I had disabled ALL IVS events. I was just recording continous 24/7 but did not have ivs enabled for recording or snapshots. But there was an ivs event in the log 5 mins before the shutdown/reboot. I've removed the larger fan, put the cover back on, and deleted all ivs rules from the cams and want to verify that it will now last more than an hour.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But just a few posts above crazykiller states he is using the original firmware (same date I have) and he has no reboots.
Only difference might be, I'm using really the "original" DH firmware, not the generic firmware it came with. Wanted the Dahua logo on the unused channels and the WebUI, but maybe there are some other differences…?

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only difference might be, I'm using really the "original" DH firmware, not the generic firmware it came with. Wanted the Dahua logo on the unused channels and the WebUI, but maybe there are some other differences…?
So how can we get that version that you are using? Original Dahua? Is that what I download from the website?

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So how can we get that version that you are using? Original Dahua? Is that what I download from the website?
If you downloaded it from the Dahua website and the file name starts with DH_ instead of Generic_, then it should be the version I got on mine.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you downloaded it from the Dahua website and the file name starts with DH_ instead of Generic_, then it should be the version I got on mine.
Thanks. It starts wit DH. I've downloaded and installed it and now I see the logo. Looks like I didn't loose any settings. Everything looks the same so far.

On another note,prior I had deleted all the IVS rules from the cameras and the rebooting stopped. With this new original firmware, I've added a single rule to 1 camera. Let's see what happens.

Dahua firmware:
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm confused because you have changed the conversation from counterfeit products to gray market products. Those are two completely different things...

Dahua usually makes two versions of the same hardware: those with the Dahua logo on them, and those without the Dahua logo on them.

They only consider the version of the hardware with their logo on them to be "Dahua" products. AFAIK, the unbranded versions are meant to be resold to companies who put their individual brands on them and are responsible for offering end-user support.

So no, Andy isn't a Dahua distributor, as he's not reselling "Dahua branded" products. The ads I've seen on Andy's Ali store are very specific that the products he sells do not have the Dahua logo on them. This is precisely why he can sell the products for a lot less money than the "Dahua" version of the same product.

Gray market: probably
Counterfeit: no

Andy's Ali store has a track record that speaks for itself. It's been around for three years and has an average 5 star rating from 1,011 reviews (that have literally come from all across the world). Ali stores that come online to deal shitty counterfeit products last a few months, if that.

If you want to pay extra money to get the same NVR hardware from an official Dahua dealer, that's fine. When you run into problems that require firmware fixes (like not being able to setup all of IVS from the NVR <as happf is experiencing>, and frames dropping when events record), you're going to be in the same boat as everyone who bought the less-expensive "no logo" version of the NVR hardware... stuck waiting for Dahua to acknowledge the problem and hopefully fix it.
Here lies the problem, In the grey market you do not know if its counterfeit or not. All I know is what Andy is saying about going to dahua for this or that and I have to take him at his word BUT these parade of endless NVR issues are giving Dahua a black eye because he is using their name in his posts so one would think or come away with the impression that he is a dealer or reseller of Dahua products. That being said I wish these issues could be resolved but at this point but my level of hope is diminishing fast.

Last edited:

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for polluting this thread, forgot there was a reboot thread.

Updated to the ORIGINAL DH firmware on their website and the reboots stopped but still had dropped frames.
Then updated to the Unofficial General firmware from Andy in the REBOOT thread and no reboots with that either but still dropped frames.

At least a lot more things appear to work better with the Unofficial firmware. Wish that is what had come with the nvr. I am now able to do almost everything from the nvr, even setup ivs rules!

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On another note, I've found a different way to deal with the IVS dropped frames. I played around with snapshots but didn't like that it's a pain to switch between recording and snapshots to see the motion activity on the timeline. It's really nice being able to record 24/7 and just have motion events colored on the timeline.

I noticed we can create the IVS event on Camera A but then tell it to record on Camera B. So what I've done is move ALL my IVS events to record on Camera A. I setup the rules for each camera but they all trigger recording on Camera A. What happens now is I end up with dropped frames on Camera A, I do see a 'hiccup' in the video of the other camera that triggered the event, but instead of it dropping frames, it's looping back ever so slightly and starting over a split second sooner, so no actual lost video.

I know people talk about 2mb vs 4mb and zoom in as much versus wide angle, but man, I do miss having a broad view that lets me see a lot. I was thinking I would still have 1 or 2 wide angle cameras for my largest areas with the starlights on the choke points. For now, I will probably set the starlight IVS rules, but have them trigger recording on the wide angle camera closest to their zone. That way on the playback screen I can still easily see when there was motion and I don't loose anything, of course, I need to make sure to add the wide angle channel to the playback screen to get the colored timeline.

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Whether Andy is selling Dahua's gray produtcs or not, the bottom line is that those turret starlight cameras seem to be great – I'm not a person that needs a logo on it. But we still have to wait 5 more years for a final verdict.

As for the NVR's I do think there should already be at least some feedback for all the issues it has. And I see this:

No and it doesn't have screw holes for them either. Andy was checking with Dahua around what they recommend.
@EMPIRETECANDY Do you think you can pass this post to an engineering at Dauha?
(...)
Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. [U]@EMPIRETECANDY[/U] sent a copy of one of my videos over to Dahua. Hopefully they have some ideas.
Welcome to my luck. :) I'm hoping that @EMPIRETECANDY might be able to ask about what that flag means while he's at Dahua the new few days.
(...)
I thought that was strange also. The WebUI only lists a Main Stream and Sub Stream. So where is the mysterious third stream @EMPIRETECANDY?
(...)
Mine too!! Same reboot flag and everything. My log always shows an IVS event seconds before it.

I reported it to @EMPIRETECANDY. Hoping his Dahua support folks can help figure it out!
After one and a half months I have experienced my first random reboot with symbol 0x06f as @aristobrat reported.

(...)
@EMPIRETECANDY could you please if you haven't already forward this issue to Dahua since there is no wiki article indicating what a 0x06f reboot symbol means. I am monitoring this closely now and will report back if it happens again.
[U]@EMPIRETECANDY[/U], might you know the answer to this question?
It's the Starlight Mini Wedge model. It's powered by a Cisco Meraki PoE switch like my other 3 Starlight turrets and 6 other Dahua's with builtin mics that don't have this issue. I actually got a 2nd one from Andy this week as a spare and I confirmed the second one has no noise in it so it's clearly the camera. Here's a video clip I made to share with Andy that you can hear the issue in
(...)
@EMPIRETECANDY Andy. PMing you and you asked me to use email to contact you, Email you and you told me there is way to replace, but did not give detail steps despite further repeated inquiry.

Almost 3 weeks had passed since my first question in PM and I am still waiting for instruction on how to start warranty process after 8 inquiries from the forum post, PM and Email. Even though I know you are granted to be busy, but it should not take that long to provide an instruction.

If you would honor warranty, could you provide a straight detailed answer on how to proceed?
Or should I assume the warranty label are more for decoration only?

Most haven´t been responded, not even some feedback, as far as I can tell. Most posts I read from EMPIRETECANDY are related to stocks or similar. I guess there are personal e-mail answers and feedback but why not on the open forums?

As for EMPIRETECANDY support I found:

Updates******
(...)
For this model same situation, not us slow, lol~ For those need warranty support or replacement please just send me emails. Can change it easily.
(...)
Yes, all cams before shipment all have to be tested, we have several guys working on it, to make sure all shipped are working ones, sometimes dahua shipped some bad cams to us, but not too may, normally they are good quality.
Today dahua engineer release the new ftp to me for all dahua, but can't open to publics, but I can send any firmware or materials to all members here.
Always keep you guys in my mind.
(...)
Get some report for the cam offline and keep booting. I want to know if this happens for users of HDW5231R-Z. I will check it tomorrow when we back from public holiday.
Can send message to me if meet this kind of prpblem and I will try to solve this problem asap.
Thanks!
Andy
Future, if guys do project for using dahua device can get support from US local support. This only for the project installers, other warranty issue still taken by us.

I admit, Andy is giving great support to you guys who bought from him – the best you can find on aliexpress, where many produtcs and feedbacks are a con.

I only wish everyting is resolved for the better but it's taking a long time without a feedback.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually I'm testing around with seven cameras. Just ordered another nine from @EMPIRETECANDY. But this wouldn't be the end. but for this month the end of money I'll spend for toys. Will see how the stuff does after holidays in mid June and will see how much budget is left after two week holidays in the Spanish sun :p
Today I could have a first look at the package @Andy sent me. Lot of cartons have been damage on transport. Will check them this week for functionality and then will check for the cluster functionality in unequal constellations of NVR.
Will also need another mount for my PTZ, because Andy sent the wrong one

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I only wish everyting is resolved for the better but it's taking a long time without a feedback.
It looks like the unofficial (pre-release?) firmware that Andy got for the forum stopped the rebooting for most folks, so that's good.

As for the issue where frames are dropped when you have continuous recording + IVS recording both enabled, I have low hopes for that every being fixed. It seems to happen across all of their devices (NVRs, PC-NVR, and even cameras recording directly to SD cards).