Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey guys, great forum and info. I'm bought and am learning the NVR based menu system for the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2 in an effort to replace or recommend over the FLIR / Lorex systems (rebranded Dahua) I've installed. The FLIR / Lorex systems seem to be spot on when it involves email setup, notifications, and mobile app UI. I understand FLIR / Lorex obviously install their own UI but the 5216 as a base system seems 'rough on the edges'.

With the unmatched nighttime capabilities of the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z), I want to start promoting the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2 with Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) as a turnkey home video surveillance solution.

Keep up the good work.

5216 was aim towards industrial or business based customer so it normally installed and setup by a professional security installers while the rebranded NVR is home graded uses. Many rebranded NVR would have lots of it features removed and GUI changed to more user friendly for home level customers

Dahua would not sell directly to home customers so the home customer will have to purchase it from company that rebrand it because Dahua don't want the headache of having to provide support to customers who know nothing about networking etc That why we noticed many of the rebranded NVR have built in POE ports and gui been modified to more of a layman langauge for home level customer to keep it as simple as possible in hope they won't be getting calls from customer asking them what is a email server etc

With a direct from factory NVR, we have the benefit of having more features available to us and we can update firmware when needed. Most rebranded NVR seller will not offer updated firmware because they don't want to have to modifity it ever time a new firmware is out unless it a serious bug issue and they rather sell you the "newest" model

jhallett

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Forum - I am ordering the HDD to set-up my NVR5216-4KS2 and was considering the Seagate Enterprise version ST6000NM0024, but this is apparently now replaced with ST6000DM004 in mid 2016 which seems to be similar, but with a 256 cache vs 128 and uses less power. I cannot find it referenced in the Dahua compatible NVR HDD list, but that is dated 2016-2. Anyone know whether this drive will work or not?

Thanks!
James

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having a problem exporting files if the time range I'm exporting has an IVS alert in it. :banghead: I've tried both SmartPSS for Mac and Windows with the same results.

If I export as an ASF, the created file will pause during playback <for a few seconds> around where the IVS rule trips.

If I export as AVI or MP4, during playback when it gets near where the IVS rule tripped, either a bunch of frames are missing (so the person jumps from one side of the screen to the other), or the video completely garbles.

If I export the video in the native format and try to view it in the Dahua player app, it takes forever to load into the player -- but it does playback correctly, once loaded. If I try to export it from there, AVI is the only option, but it always fails with an error saying that the clip is too short. The clip I'm going after is about two minutes long.

The other thing throwing me for a loop is that Handbrake (a popular and well supported Mac video converting tool that has handled every goofy file type I've thrown at it over the last decade) says that the ASF, AVI, and MP4 exports aren't valid. o_O

Was curious if anyone else had run into this before and had any advice.

My 5216 is pretty new, got it Wednesday. I've got one 4TB WD Purple in it and two 5231s recording to it (h.265). The cameras are also setup (directly on the camera) to record on IVS. If I look at the timeline for a day (in SmartPSS), it shows solid green lines (for the 24/7 recordings) with occasional orange blips.

Thanks!

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how noisy is this NVR. Fan and Drive noise?
Trying a QNAP NAS and the drive noise is quite noticable;
cheers

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To me, the non-POE version is pretty quiet -- almost silent. It has one small fan on the left side of the case, and I haven't heard any noise from my 4TB WD Purple, but it's only a few days old (so not a lot of data on it to be seeking through yet).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Trying a QNAP NAS and the drive noise is quite noticable;
That'll be mostly down to the drives, then. How many bays? Did you populate it with high rpm drives?
My QNAP NAS boxes are pretty well silent, even when busy.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
QNAP t221 - 2 bay , 1tb drives - will confirm spec later

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting a little frustrated with this NVR.

Playing with it when I got home for work, I found some activity that was marked by orange (my IVS rule), so I wanted to check that out. Turns out to be my roommate taking his border collies out front to play ball.

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 7.37.02 PM.png

At first I started watching this with SmartPSS on my Mac. Just watching the video (i.e. not trying to do any exports), it skipped three seconds of video. And the skipped seconds just happen to sync up with when one of the dogs crosses across a Tripwire I had setup. (the tripwire on the left, on the picture below)

Figured it might be SmartDSS glitching, so I went directly to the NVR to watch it there. Same thing ... dog crosses the Tripwire, and the next three seconds of video get skipped.

Next thing I tried was using SmartPSS to export a DAV file of the video. Same results ... when you play back the DAV file, it skips directly over those three seconds.

Weirdness here -- I wanted to create a smaller file to share on here, so I used Handbrake to convert the the DAV file into a MP4 file. Well, when you play the MP4 back, the three seconds are NOT missing, but they're distorted.

What the hell? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

If you'd like to see what I'm seeing, I put the original DAV (38.5MB) and the smaller MP4 (16MB) in my DropBox.
Links:
DAV
MP4

The activity in both videos starts at 16:57:28 ... the missing seconds start at 16:57:40

Below is what the Tripwire lines look like.

When the dogs run out of the house, they run so fast that they don't set off any of the tripwires. The missing video happens when the black and white dog comes back on the porch, crossing the left tripwire slow enough that the camera actually notices her.

My whole reason for buying the Dahua NVR was to be able to capture (in the recording timeline) when IVS alerts happen. I had been using a Synology NAS as my NVR before this, and granted, it wasn't capable of capturing IVS events, but it never lost any frames any other time.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 7.25.49 PM.png

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

Playing with it when I got home for work, I found some activity that was marked by orange (my IVS rule), so I wanted to check that out. Turns out to be my roommate taking his border collies out front to play ball.

View attachment 16567

At first I started watching this with SmartPSS on my Mac. Just watching the video (i.e. not trying to do any exports), it skipped three seconds of video. And the skipped seconds just happen to sync up with when one of the dogs crosses across a Tripwire I had setup. (the tripwire on the left, on the picture below)

Figured it might be SmartDSS glitching, so I went directly to the NVR to watch it there. Same thing ... dog crosses the Tripwire, and the next three seconds of video get skipped.

Next thing I tried was using SmartPSS to export a DAV file of the video. Same results ... when you play back the DAV file, it skips directly over those three seconds.

Weirdness here -- I wanted to create a smaller file to share on here, so I used Handbrake to convert the the DAV file into a MP4 file. Well, when you play the MP4 back, the three seconds are NOT missing, but they're distorted.

What the hell? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

If you'd like to see what I'm seeing, I put the original DAV (38.5MB) and the smaller MP4 (16MB) in my DropBox.
Links:
DAV
MP4

The activity in both videos starts at 16:57:28 ... the missing seconds start at 16:57:40

Below is what the Tripwire lines look like.

When the dogs run out of the house, they run so fast that they don't set off any of the tripwires. The missing video happens when the black and white dog comes back on the porch, crossing the left tripwire slow enough that the camera actually notices her.

My whole reason for buying the Dahua NVR was to be able to capture (in the recording timeline) when IVS alerts happen. I had been using a Synology NAS as my NVR before this, and granted, it wasn't capable of capturing IVS events, but it never lost any frames any other time.

Any thoughts/ideas?

View attachment 16568
@EMPIRETECANDY Do you think you can pass this post to an engineering at Dauha?

It seem to be a bug where when IVS is tripped, there are video loss in the recording. Maybe NVR processor overloaded during IVS events?

I wondered if lowering fps and bit rate will help since it will take some workload off the processor. IVS could possibly overtasking the processor trying to write to file

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lower your iframe intervals to minimum.. no data is lost, its just chopping the video into files and your player is loading a new file and choosing not to display anything until the first full iframe is sent.. if you export them merged it should be able to playback fine using last iframe.

its a client issue, your not loosing data or frames..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lower your iframe intervals to minimum.. no data is lost, its just chopping the video into files and your player is loading a new file and choosing not to display anything until the first full iframe is sent.. if you export them merged it should be able to playback fine using last iframe.

its a client issue, your not loosing data or frames..
I found (googling how to export merged clips) your other thread here where you talk about this issue. Wish I found that before I freaked out. :)

I see using SmartPSS where I can select the clip before the IVS, the IVS clip, and the clip after, but I don't see how to download them merged. Any tips there?

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 8.55.56 PM.png

Also, in that other thread you mentioned you saw no lost video "if I playback directly on NVR via OSDUI.." What's OSDUI? When I playback directly on the NVR, I do see lost video.

@EMPIRETECANDYI wondered if lowering fps and bit rate will help since it will take some workload off the processor.
I'm running the default 25 FPS, so the iFrame is at the default 50. The only thing I've changed from default is the setting for H.265. I left the frames at 25 FPS because with the H.265, disk space didn't seem to be an issue.

I guess now's the time to drop the FPS and iFrame down to 15 each...

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use the clip function on the timeline..
Ah, no luck there.

I originally (earlier tonight) clipped about 45 seconds from the file before the IVS, the entire IVS file, and then some from the file behind it. I exported it as "Original Format", and when I play it back, it jumps from 16:57:40 to 16:57:43. I grabbed enough before the IVS file to get the previous iFrame, no? My iFrame setting back then were 50, so I think that means one every two seconds (when recording at 25 FPS)?

I just tried again, clipping more of the video from the file before the IVS and had the same result.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah, no luck there.

I originally (earlier tonight) clipped about 45 seconds from the file before the IVS, the entire IVS file, and then some from the file behind it. I exported it as "Original Format", and when I play it back, it jumps from 16:57:40 to 16:57:43. I grabbed enough before the IVS file to get the previous iFrame, no? My iFrame setting back then were 50, so I think that means one every two seconds (when recording at 25 FPS)?

I just tried again, clipping more of the video from the file before the IVS and had the same result.
The same thing happens to me, but apparently, not to everybody. I've tried every variation of settings I can think of with no luck. I lose the least frames when exporting the video, but I always lose frames.

I have a little more info on the can't-access-IVS-settings-from-the-nvr issue. I have a few IPC4431M-I2 cameras (chinese market) where IVS setting works ok from the NVR. I bought another IPC-4431M-I2 that has newer firmware and IVS from the NVR does not work. So either Dahua is breaking this feature in newer camera firmware or it's a bug in the 52xx-4ks2 NVR.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. @EMPIRETECANDY sent a copy of one of my videos over to Dahua. Hopefully they have some ideas.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

View attachment 16567

View attachment 16568
@EMPIRETECANDY Do you think you can pass this post to an engineering at Dauha?

It seem to be a bug where when IVS is tripped, there are video loss in the recording. Maybe NVR processor overloaded during IVS events?

I wondered if lowering fps and bit rate will help since it will take some workload off the processor. IVS could possibly overtasking the processor trying to write to file
The same thing happens to me, but apparently, not to everybody. I've tried every variation of settings I can think of with no luck. I lose the least frames when exporting the video, but I always lose frames.

I have a little more info on the can't-access-IVS-settings-from-the-nvr issue. I have a few IPC4431M-I2 cameras (chinese market) where IVS setting works ok from the NVR. I bought another IPC-4431M-I2 that has newer firmware and IVS from the NVR does not work. So either Dahua is breaking this feature in newer camera firmware or it's a bug in the 52xx-4ks2 NVR.
Same exact thing happening here. Whenever IVS trips, I lose 1 to 1.5 seconds. Exporting from a timeclip exports the exact same thing.

Thinking of switching and trying H.264. Cannot upload to Youtube with H.265. Free Converting Software all garbage and looks like shite. Maybe me and my noob converter knowledge, but no luck.

Whatever Media Player included with Windows 10 plays the exported MP4 files perfectly, save the frame losses.

SD

Info: HDBW5231R-Z at 30 FPS in H.265 with iFrame at 60, CBR @ 4k

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of switching and trying H.264. Cannot upload to Youtube with H.265. Free Converting Software all garbage and looks like shite.
I'm going to switch my cameras back to video defaults for the day and see what that does. IIRC, H.265 was the only thing I changed when I got the NVR.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So that reduced the number of dropped frames right when the IVS tripped, but now there's a period of ~5 minutes after the IVS tripped where nothing got recorded. The hell?!