Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All of mine make a clicking noise when running the lense in and out.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought it was normal being they all do it. They all function outside of that. I rarely use that function because it hardly ever zooms where I am hoping to see.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think FedEx will be coming to pick up my ultra starlight bullet, Andy hasn't told me exactly when but maybe Monday, I'll report back on my experience, but the fact that he's taking care of me goes miles for me and for people who might be on the fence. I am one of those people that if you take care of me I will be loyal to you, if my bullet fix goes well I will definitely buy all of my future cams from Andy. And recommend him to everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went back and tested them just now. Only one of the four really make a loud clicking noise. Oddly 3 of the cameras you just touch the + or - to change the focal lens and it has like 3 to 4 lengths it goes through. 1 camera I have to hold the + or -button to change it. Seems to react differently than the other 3.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I went back and tested them just now. Only one of the four really make a loud clicking noise. Oddly 3 of the cameras you just touch the + or - to change the focal lens and it has like 3 to 4 lengths it goes through. 1 camera I have to hold the + or -button to change it. Seems to react differently than the other 3.
Maybe there is some binding with the packet, mine made a little noise and I moved one of the packets a little and it only barely makes a little sound now.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Those who are still waiting and thinking of going elsewhere ask yourself the following, would you rather spend your money with an online seller who advertises they have 999 in stock when @EMPIRETECANDY is hardly able to keep them in stock?

Or patently wait like myself and others have done to deal with @EMPIRETECANDY who ACTIVELY engages with this online community directly and is honouring warranty for one of @hmjgriffon cameras.

UPDATE
After a fast 3 day turnaround from HK to Australia the cameras, NVR and mounts arrived on the 16th of February as promised.

INITIAL TESTING & OBSERVATIONS
Upon arrival all 8 cameras were tested, checking firstly that they turned on, IRs activated in low light and listen for any abnormal noise upon zooming in or out. The last check failed on 3 cameras which like others have reported emitted a clicking noise that was louder when zooming in than out.

Since you have to open the camera to install an SD Card and after reading post 1445 by @nbstl68 (thanks bud!) I decided to crack one open and fix the problem. After several silica bag position changes later two of the three were noise free, the third is another story.

My usual disassemble, reposition silica bag, reassemble and test routine wasn't working, it seemed no matter where I positioned the silica bag it wasn't happy. Without being able to see what was going on inside when zooming I decided to fix this one 'live'. In order to troubleshoot the problem I removed the loose silica bag and held the two halves together while zooming in and out, to my amazement the noise was still present, no wonder why the position of the bag had no effect.

I then observed how the two halves come together and if there were any interferes. The only thing I could see which might pose a problem was the white IR connector cable which could possibly be touching the foam ring once the camera was reassembled. So I tried gently bending the cable out of the way so there would be a gap once the two halves met. I then re-tested and was quite pleased when zooming resulted in silence.

I have't been able to see if my last fix method is reproducible as all my cameras are now functioning normally but it could be something to try if you aren't finding the position of the silica bag is having much effect.

The loose silica bag placement was identical on the 3 cameras I opened, positioned well away from any movement of the lens barrel. I assume the other 5 were similar and why they don't exhibit a similar issue I cannot answer. I can only report my findings in the hope it may help someone out.

INSTALLATION AND FUTURE PLANS
Due to the extreme heat we have had to endure recently in Australia installation of the first 5 occurred several days later. A 6th is due to be installed once another junction box is received from Andy tomorrow (3 day turnaround again!).

Positions for cameras 7 and 8 are still to be determined.

Thanks again @nayr, @EMPIRETECANDY and the admins of this great community.
This stock really hard to get, so i don't put any stock on aliexpress, if all guys think i have stock and can't ship any in 1 month.So we are little hard for the shipping.
Good news we will get more stock, this is the schedule.
1st lot March.5th 50pcs, already pre-sold
2nd lot 100pcs, March.10th
3rd lot 100pcs, March.15th

Will update on Aliexpress to sell on March.7th.
Thanks all guys support!
Andy

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Can someone here share Andy's details, perhaps via PM, I'm trying not to go through all 72 pages :D Thanks

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe there is some binding with the packet, mine made a little noise and I moved one of the packets a little and it only barely makes a little sound now.
Like he said, it might be the packets.... 2 of mine do it, but function the same as the ones that dont,same speed zooming and focusing. I'm not worried about it... Before I installed it, i was testing the cameras pretty heavily in the office, and they didnt skip a beat in connection speed, zooming, focusing, settings change. That is something that would piss me off is installing, and afterwards something breaking. One even took a 7ft drop onto concrete, and still runs like it never happened. I feel confident a year+ from now i will have the sam opinion.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can someone here share Andy's details, perhaps via PM, I'm trying not to go through all 72 pages :D Thanks

pm
@EMPIRETECANDY here on the board...

I hope you know how to search. If you come on here when it is page 80+ when you have your cameras, and ask for the default ip or password..... well goodluck getting a friendly response. :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement :D I guess it doesn't hurt, especially when its good to get it right the first time. :D I've gone through too many DIY kits over the past couple of weeks, and all "suck". I have Swann system on the way, but am already thinking about creating my own DIY system based on the advice here. :)

pm
@EMPIRETECANDY here on the board...

I hope you know how to search. If you come on here when it is page 80+ when you have your cameras, and ask for the default ip or password..... well goodluck getting a friendly response. :)

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm extremely happy with the 4 cameras I started with. Would like to find 3-4 more Dahua cams in the $100 price range to fill in some blanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm extremely happy with the 4 cameras I started with. Would like to find 3-4 more Dahua cams in the $100 price range to fill in some blanks.
Unless, they are for indoor use or VERY close range outdoor use, stop being cheap and spend the extra money...

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just purchased 4 of these cams, a dedicated I7 6700 computer, a poe switch, software, 1000' of cat6e cable. I'm not trying to be cheap. I am looking for coverage for say my drive way that is about 20x20 with street lighting and my security lighting. Some will be going indoors for the pups.

RazorsEDGE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you guys have any preference for the position of the IR in relation to the lens? IR above or below lens?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement :D I guess it doesn't hurt, especially when its good to get it right the first time. :D I've gone through too many DIY kits over the past couple of weeks, and all "suck". I have Swann system on the way, but am already thinking about creating my own DIY system based on the advice here. :)
Return it