Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry I ordered my brackets from BH. I got my cameras from you but had forgot to order brackets. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
lol, will send some free brackets for those who booked qty>5pcs can get 1 kit PFB203w and pfa137, dahua will update news tomorrow. Let's see how to solve the backdoor issue. Thanks again for guys!

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
great news from Qnap for NAS users:

We have finished the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera integration .

Please let me know the current firmware version including build No. of this TS-453A . we will prepare a Surveillance Station beta with IPC-HDW5231R-Z support as soon as possible .

Thank you
Best regards
Huh, this is cool. I've been recording to my TS-451 for a week now no problems (other than forgetting to check the box to allow audio recording) I wonder what extra features will be available now that this is a "supported model".

Either way, I just ordered a 5216-4KS2 from Andy yesterday so once I get that I'll stop recording with the NAS. The NAS was nice if you only have 2 cameras, but at $60 or whatever it costs PER CAMERA for extra licenses, a NVR + WD Purple gets real attractive real quick.

(not to mention @nayr constant comments about how recording surveillance footage to a NAS set up in RAID is a dumb idea)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either way, I just ordered a 5216-4KS2 from Andy yesterday so once I get that I'll stop recording with the NAS. The NAS was nice if you only have 2 cameras, but at $60 or whatever it costs PER CAMERA for extra licenses, a NVR + WD Purple gets real attractive real quick.
LOL, I just ordered a 5216-4KS2 from Andy yesterday too!

I've been recording two cameras to a Synology NAS (using their Surveillance Station app). Like you said, adding additional licenses adds up, and I like how the 5216-4KS2 can work with IVS alerts (tripwire, etc). One thing the Synology can do that I don't think the 5216-4KS2 can is make an HTTP call when alerts happen (i.e. to notify other home automation devices). I'm hoping to use @nayr 's NodeJS project, which I think can get alerts directly from the cameras... if so, I'll use that to notify my other HA devices.

Did you get a tracking# for your NVR yet?

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
aristobrat did you order from website or directly from him? I sent message yesterday to Andy but no reply.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No tracking number, haven't paid yet. Initiated a conversion with him on this site yesterday evening after a whole bottle of wine lol (had been procrastinating buying NVR because I've already dropped too much money on this whole home surveillance system set up... Good thing he's out of stock on the 5231 cameras haha... I still want a few more) Had some conversation with him this morning that ended with him saying that he has to check his stock...he might not have any of those NVR's in stock.

I will mention he tried to get me to get the POE version. I told him I wouldn't be using it and also want to keep the noise down from fans (POE has two fans, non POE has one fan)

I'd highly suggest ordering from him thru this website. He gives members some discounts from the listed price on his aliexpress store. Idk how the hell he keeps up with all of it. I try to keep my conversation with him to a minimum and include as much relevant information in each message to him as possible because I'm sure he gets a crap ton of messages from all over (here and aliexpress) so I was surprised he initiated as much conversation with me as he did. But then again, that's why he gets all of my business. He's a solid guy/business owner.

Medic2415

n3wb
Reaction score
No tracking number, haven't paid yet. Initiated a conversion with him on this site yesterday evening after a whole bottle of wine lol (had been procrastinating buying NVR because I've already dropped too much money on this whole home surveillance system set up... Good thing he's out of stock on the 5231 cameras haha... I still want a few more) Had some conversation with him this morning that ended with him saying that he has to check his stock...he might not have any of those NVR's in stock.

I will mention he tried to get me to get the POE version. I told him I wouldn't be using it and also want to keep the noise down from fans (POE has two fans, non POE has one fan)

I'd highly suggest ordering from him thru this website. He gives members some discounts from the listed price on his aliexpress store. Idk how the hell he keeps up with all of it. I try to keep my conversation with him to a minimum and include as much relevant information in each message to him as possible because I'm sure he gets a crap ton of messages from all over (here and aliexpress) so I was surprised he initiated as much conversation with me as he did. But then again, that's why he gets all of my business. He's a solid guy/business owner.
I hope he is not out of stock for too long, I just ordered a 5216-4KS2 and a few 5231 turrets. I was almost going to get the Hik set-up until this forum sent me over to the Dahua. Now I want them in hand to start the install. Maybe before the summer is a realistic expectation. Best bet is to communicate through the forum. He responds very quickly.

TommyR

n3wb
Reaction score
Haha I also have 5216-4KS2, ordered from Andy a few weeks ago. Now have everything (including WD purple 6Tb and POE switch TP-Link TL-SG2210P) but cameras. Medic2415 how did you manage to order 5231? They are out of stock in Andy's aliexpress store.

CoachZ

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm brand-new to these forums, and from my lurking I understand the Dahuas cameras are VERY highly-regarded, and this one in particular is great.

My question is if there is any other camera in this price range that is anywhere near the quality of this model? In other words, is this thing in a league of its own for $170?

If that's the case, then is there any suggestion for a $100 camera? I understand you get what you pay for and at some point you're just buying junk, but is there a runner up (or last year's model, for example) that is cheaper and close in terms of quality/performance?

Thanks! Researching this has been quite an education. :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is in a league of its own, if your looking for cheaper version you can go for fixed lens: Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

The only thing tha'll compete with this is the Starlight 5x Varifocal Bullet that has 6-35mm varifocal and will handle a much wider range of distances.. its big and not as discrete as these turrets.

the varifocal optics are much more useful, noobs just cant select the right lens because they dont have the experience and wisdom to love zoom.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
this is in a league of its own, if your looking for cheaper version you can go for fixed lens: Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

The only thing tha'll compete with this is the Starlight 5x Varifocal Bullet that has 6-35mm varifocal and will handle a much wider range of distances.

the varifocal optics are much more useful, noobs just cant select the right lens because they dont have the experience and wisdom to love zoom.

it's not even that, if you move or something you have to try to make your fixed lens cameras work in a new situation. varifocal will always work. Of course motorized used to be horrendously expensive.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man, I remember almost buying a $100 GW Security camera with manual zoom a few weeks before finding this forum. I thought to myself "once I get the zoom where I want it then I'll be happy with the money savings over an auto zoom" haha how stupid I was. I had a fun enough time just getting the turret FOV lined up right, I can't imagine taking it down, disassembling the body to adjust the manual zoom, then putting it all back together and remounting a couple dozen times.

Never ever ever never will I get a manual zoom.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Man, I remember almost buying a $100 GW Security camera with manual zoom a few weeks before finding this forum. I thought to myself "once I get the zoom where I want it then I'll be happy with the money savings over an auto zoom" haha how stupid I was. I had a fun enough time just getting the turret FOV lined up right, I can't imagine taking it down, disassembling the body to adjust the manual zoom, then putting it all back together and remounting a couple dozen times.

Never ever ever never will I get a manual zoom.
I've still got a hikvision manual varifocal in the livingroom, I do not plan to re-adjust it, as soon as I can get more turrets I will put that turd up for sale.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Andy, more info can be found here, it looks like HikVision is also affected (not acknowledged by HikVision):
Dahua, Hikvision IoT Devices Under Siege — Krebs on Security
Thanks TommyR that's a great article on the subject, everyone here should take a look at it.

Wow...

"On March 5, a security researcher named Bashis posted to the Full Disclosure security mailing list exploit code for an embarrassingly simple flaw in the way many Dahua security cameras and DVRs handle authentication. These devices are designed to be controlled by a local Web server that is accessible via a Web browser.

That server requires the user to enter a username and password, but Bashis found he could force all affected devices to cough up their usernames and a simple hashed value of the password. Armed with this information, he could effectively “pass the hash” and the corresponding username right back to the Web server and be admitted access to the device settings page. From there, he could add users and install or modify the device’s software. From Full Disclosure:

“This is so simple as:
1. Remotely download the full user database with all credentials and permissions
2. Choose whatever admin user, copy the login names and password hashes
3. Use them as source to remotely login to the Dahua devices

“This is like a damn Hollywood hack, click on one button and you are in…” "

note mention of IPCAMTALK later in the article:
"In addition, a programmer who has long written and distributed custom firmware for Hikvision devices claims he’s found a backdoor in “many popular Hikvision products that makes it possible to gain full admin access to the device,” wrote the user “Montecrypto” on the IoT forum IPcamtalk on Mar. 5. “Hikvision gets two weeks to come forward, acknowledge, and explain why the backdoor is there and when it is going to be removed. I sent them an email. If nothing changes, I will publish all details on March 20th, along with the firmware that disables the backdoor.”

ouch

CoachZ

n3wb
Reaction score

The only thing tha'll compete with this is the Starlight 5x Varifocal Bullet that has 6-35mm varifocal and will handle a much wider range of distances.. its big and not as discrete as these turrets.

Thank you! This thing looks like a real winner.

So with a varifocal, camera, do you have to manually (physically) adjust the zoom? Or can that be done through software?

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Software. These varifocal cams are adjusted when you log into the camera. Adjust the zoom slider with your mouse, and all done.