Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

CoachZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh sweet :)

Thanks, guys! Excited to give this a shot.

CoachZ

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way -- if I order from Andy, is there anything else I need to buy separately, like a power adapter/POE injector or a mounting kit?

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will need to power the camera. Easiest way for me was to use a poe switch. The cameras are all powered by the switch, and they are all available on my network just like any other device connected by a regular network switch. You don't need a gigabit poe switch, just a 10/100 poe switch (typically cheaper). The camera(s) don't typically transmit enough data to exceed 10Mbps (each).

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
By the way -- if I order from Andy, is there anything else I need to buy separately, like a power adapter/POE injector or a mounting kit?
Yes.

Many choices:

You will have to decide how you want to power the cameras, with a PoE switch? NVR w PoE switch? Mid-span PoE? PoE Injectors?

Mounting kits - you will need to decide this also.. a lot will depend on the type of construction of your building and the placement of the cameras.
( for example - if a brick building get a junction box per each camera )

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, decide now (regarding which PoE route you want to take). There's a PoE NVR without the PoE ports, get a PoE switch separately if you need to access each camera separately through its own interface

Medic2415

n3wb
Reaction score
Haha I also have 5216-4KS2, ordered from Andy a few weeks ago. Now have everything (including WD purple 6Tb and POE switch TP-Link TL-SG2210P) but cameras. Medic2415 how did you manage to order 5231? They are out of stock in Andy's aliexpress store.
TommyR; send Andy a message with your interest and he can invoice you through PayPal. It was posted someplace in the previous 80+ pages. I do not have the items yet or the tracking number but it has only been a couple days. I may still have to wait an extended time period.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes.

Many choices:

You will have to decide how you want to power the cameras, with a PoE switch? NVR w PoE switch? Mid-span PoE? PoE Injectors?

Mounting kits - you will need to decide this also.. a lot will depend on the type of construction of your building and the placement of the cameras.
( for example - if a brick building get a junction box per each camera )
Took me 2 weeks, lots of research, and several diagrams to figure out 90% of what I needed and how to best set it up. Once I got a camera, I went to every location I planned to put a camera and tested out the view with that camera, a laptop, and a Poe injector. Had to make several changes after that. Overall, I ended up replacing my old router with a vpn capable model, adding 2 switches, 2 poe switches, 2 patch panels, running new Ethernet cables all over the place, and setting up additional shelving in the locations I put all of the network and camera equipment. Also added a 1500va ups at the router location (replaced a smaller one) and a 2nd 1500va ups where the nvr is.

Btw, thanks to everyone here, it made things a lot easier.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Took me 2 weeks, lots of research, and several diagrams to figure out 90% of what I needed and how to best set it up. Once I got a camera, I went to every location I planned to put a camera and tested out the view with that camera, a laptop, and a Poe injector. Had to make several changes after that. Overall, I ended up replacing my old router with a vpn capable model, adding 2 switches, 2 poe switches, 2 patch panels, running new Ethernet cables all over the place, and setting up additional shelving in the locations I put all of the network and camera equipment. Also added a 1500va ups at the router location (replaced a smaller one) and a 2nd 1500va ups where the nvr is.

Btw, thanks to everyone here, it made things a lot easier.

love to see that setup.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
love to see that setup.
I have some pics that I'll eventually post in my system build thread. Haven't spent the time to pull them off of my camera to upload yet (dslr). The more stuff like this that gets posted, the more it helps others.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I have some pics that I'll eventually post in my system build thread. Haven't spent the time to pull them off of my camera to upload yet (dslr). The more stuff like this that gets posted, the more it helps others.
stock in now 270pcs, will put 50pcs on the shop of BEC firstly.
Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

Put 88pcs here.
Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Left ones will hold for the paypal way and those who already paid us weeks ago. As talked will send some free brackets with the orders as talked.

Last edited:

jward101

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Andy. Ordering shortly. Will message you through the app with details.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After many months of reading, I'm ready to order, but unsure if the web page is giving the best pricing.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score