Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Firmware update worked fine, not quite sure what they changed though.. updated link in first post

View attachment 16317

Mebe fixes some IVS issues?
@nayr I am mounting these cameras on my soffits flush so the cable will be pushed back up into the attic. What is the diameter of the cameras ethernet connector at its widest?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
you'll want to drill a 3/4in hole
it's very slight tad bigger than 3/4 for me, I use a 3/4 drill bit but I wiggle the drill to make the hole slightly bigger while I am drilling.

I always had ethernet connectors get stuck in wood studs when i drill the hole exactly 3/4

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That's you fit in one wire at a time, plenty of space to work with. ;)

it's very slight tad bigger than 3/4 for me, I use a 3/4 drill bit but I wiggle the drill to make the hole slightly bigger while I am drilling.

I always had ethernet connectors get stuck in wood studs when i drill the hole exactly 3/4

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For me, the Ethernet jack on the back of the camera was exactly 3/4". It took some firm pushing to get it through the 3/4" hole I drilled through the wood, and it didn't fit at all with even the slightest bit of self-sealing tape around that part. The power part of the cord followed through with zero problems.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I mount my cameras flush to the wall so the wires from the cameras are inserted and hidden in the wall. One of the Ethernet connector (female) on the camera are 3/4 but can be a challenge to inserted into a exact 3/4 hole.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know guys what you do with all these cameras... Must have huge houses =) Or put many more on the inside...
There are only 4 sides to my house, and 1 of them (back) is facing the 4m wall. So I am planning to get just 4 cameras - 2 for the front and 1 on each side that has side access. I would want one more at the front, to capture any incoming car details (house is perpendicular to the road), but at $170 - don't know if it its worth "just in case" scenario. Its amazing how just few bit and pieces add up to a big price. When you think you know the cost, you end up spending more on PoE switches, HDD, cables etc etc
Nayr, that PoE splitter/extender - what do you have it connected on the single cable end? I can get the 24 port Cisco PoE switch for free, but I think its an overkill for the 4 camera setup.
Can someone please give me a list of things that I need? I am thinking NVR without PoE, just for ease of replacement if PoE stops working.
What HDD is the go (brand, size - for 4 of these cameras)
PoE injector + 1 to 4 PoE splitter (or any other source of power/network)
Cables
Anything else?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Zoom, wide angles are for suckers.. thus you need more cameras with less blind spots.. common noob mistake, only need 4 cams that can only Identify people up to 12ft away at night; bet most of your activity will be much further away from the cameras than that.. 6mm and above is what most people really need outside, a single camera dedicated to watch a single thing and do it well.. not a few cameras trying to watch everything like crap.

buy the biggest HDD you can get because you'll soon learn 4 cameras are not enough and you'll be adding more

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
buy the biggest HDD you can get because you'll soon learn 4 cameras are not enough and you'll be adding more
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I'm happy with just one camera. I may add one extra at some point but have no serious need to do so.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well I have to agree with Nyar, got a simple to overwatch house now. But have outdoor camera's for one direction.
Fixed focal length was my biggest mistake. From the 4 camears i have ar 2 ok. The 20x ptz overlooking my car on public road. And the fixed indoor camera in the hallway as people have to walk through it so close by the camera.

So the garden canera and the outside eall
Camera are both not the right choice.
So only vari focal for me for the next house.

As for disk space, got 2x 4 TB now and that is sufficient. But the camera count will go up to 10 at he end so i might add 6 TB WD Purple drives for the next nvr

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess it all depends what sort of a house/location it is. My house is on a small 480sqm block, with maybe 3m between the house and the fence on each side. The only way people can enter the house/backyard is either through the door or on 2 sides of the house.
Either way, you will be walking towards the camera, with no room to go left or right

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, if they come from the side over the fence and move right beside the wall, can't they bypass the camera ?

That is what worrys me, fence is limite to 2 meter high, so no real problem to climb over for many people. And than thye will most likely pick the most easy place to climb over it.

holco

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy, now I have to find out the most simple way to connect is to my Synology NAS.

Is it possible to connect the camera with a TP-LINK Powerline TL-PA4020PKIT ?

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, if they come from the side over the fence and move right beside the wall, can't they bypass the camera ?

That is what worrys me, fence is limite to 2 meter high, so no real problem to climb over for many people. And than thye will most likely pick the most easy place to climb over it.
In my case I have neighbors on each side. So they would have to get to their backyard and then to mine. Do not know why would they do this... They might as well cover their faces (as they do), so even if cought on camera, cannot ID them.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my case I have neighbors on each side.
I have the same situation, didn't bother putting a camera down one side of the house as there were no windows, but now the PTZ is mounted it can do double duty once I connect a PIR sensor.

So they would have to get to their backyard and then to mine. Do not know why would they do this...
It's very possible, don't rule it out. Haven't personally seen it but have been told it did occur in my area many years ago.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same situation, didn't bother putting a camera down one side of the house as there were no windows, but now the PTZ is mounted it can do double duty once I connect a PIR sensor.

It's very possible, don't rule it out. Haven't personally seen it but have been told it did occur in my area many years ago.
They would have to know where they are going (my house). They'll probably checkout the front and either go away, or if they proceed - they would have to be super agents. I dont have gold laying around for them to be wanting to visit my house. Plenty of houses around that dont have cameras

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy, now I have to find out the most simple way to connect is to my Synology NAS.

Is it possible to connect the camera with a TP-LINK Powerline TL-PA4020PKIT ?
Powerline kit will work fine, but it carries no power to the camera. So you would have to either put it thought PoE injector or have an external power supply.
Also, those powerline kits are not very reliable. I have one for my TV and it cuts signal now and then

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're only going to record on motion, I'd be curious to see how your Synology does.

I have one Hik and two Dahua 5231s set to record on motion only and my Synology stops after about 30 min with the 5231s. Rebooting the cameras fixes it for about 30 minutes.

I have an open support ticket with Synology on this, but also ordered a Dahua NVR. By the time I'm done adding cameras, it will have almost paid for itself compared to the cost of extra Synology camera licenses.

My Synology has been rock-solid with the Hik for almost a year. Was surprised to see it not be as solid with the 5231s. There is a new firmware for these cameras. I'll give that a shot and see if it helps.