Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
They are my community''s property, but I installed and manage them. We have two gates... one at each gate. They are huge and were expensive 4 years ago but the only thing I could find that had the zoom I needed. They still work well, but I would rather have a fixed camera with a lot of zoom and enough IR and repurpose the PTZs for other spots in the community.
what model are they?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
have you seen @bp2008, poor guy has to have 20 cameras to watch his driveway.. even thermal :p
Pffffff I blew past 20 a while ago.

This is what happens when you add new cams and don't take down the old ones. I tell myself it is because they all contribute IR and more IR is always better, but really I'm just a camera junkie.

Last edited:

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The label on the box tells you when it was built, the Z5 with a March 2017 date I just got still had January Firmware.. Build date dont mean release date, was just put up there today.
@nayr I know it is generally not a good idea to update firmware just because but given the recent backdoor issue, it sounds like I should upgrade my cameras (5231 turrets) to this new firmware as soon as I get them from Andy? Probably a good idea to check for an NVR (5216 non PoE) update in case they released one for that too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They are my community''s property, but I installed and manage them. We have two gates... one at each gate. They are huge and were expensive 4 years ago but the only thing I could find that had the zoom I needed. They still work well, but I would rather have a fixed camera with a lot of zoom and enough IR and repurpose the PTZs for other spots in the community.
Considering that this ptz is available for about 100 bux more, its not worth the hassle of replacing the old ones unless this is an aesthetic issue...otherwise you can just use the new ptz in the new locations
Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I upgraded my 3 from Andy to the January PAL firmware last week and just updated them again tonight with this new NTSC firmware. Upgraded without issue.
A very Noob question, but since these are IP cameras, is PAL/NTSC relevant? Does it matter which one I choose?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A very Noob question, but since these are IP cameras, is PAL/NTSC relevant? Does it matter which one I choose?
The only difference is that NTSC firmware will let you choose higher frame rates than PAL firmware. Pal = 25 where NTSC = 30. PAL = 50 where NTSC = 60

Edit: Substream resolutions also are different. Thanks nayr.

Last edited:

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NTSC will give you up to 30/60fps vs 25/50fps for PAL.
Ok, so why would they bother making the PAL version at all? Not trying to be difficult, just want to understand why they would go through the effort when they could just release one version

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only difference is that NTSC firmware will let you choose higher frame rates than PAL firmware. Pal = 25 where NTSC = 30. PAL = 50 where NTSC = 60
Substream resolutions are also different; @Akguy25 they are made to be compatible with hybrid systems that still have to deal w/analogue signals and analouge displays.. if your all digital, get whatever's newest version and if both are available then get NTSC

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Substream resolutions are also different; @Akguy25 they are made to be compatible with hybrid systems that still have to deal w/analogue signals and analouge displays.. if your all digital, get whatever's newest version and if both are available then get NTSC
That makes sense, thanks

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
How much different, enough different to not give me 1080p? lol.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How much different, enough different to not give me 1080p? lol.
Neither of my varifocal starlight turrets are on PAL firmware anymore, but these are the sub stream options with NTSC.

There was definitely never a 1080p option for the sub streams, and PAL maxed out at 1280x720 in Sub Stream 2 as well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

These are the PAL options on one of my older 4MP cameras that has PAL/NTSC switchable firmware. It has the same NTSC options as the starlights.