Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hidroela

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is IVS?
An Intelligent Video Surveillance System, or IVS, is a breakthrough technology included with the newest generation of IP Network Security Cameras. These features include Tripwire, Intrusion, Abandoned Object, Missing Object, and Scene Change (from a quick search on google)

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
booked 5pcs for this model, try to book HFW5431E-Z12, they said too new can't book.
Next week can get 110pcs in for the HDW5231R-Z but stock still little tight, only 30pcs left, will put on Aliexpress to sell on Tuesday.
Andy, reservation email sent to kingsecurity before stock listed on Ali.

Regards,
Andy

TommyR

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Received my 3 cameras a week ago and did initial set up using non-POE NVR 5216 and external POE switch on Friday. The quality is amazing. Currently it's recording all the time but yesterday we had some visitors while we were away and I struggled to go through hours of footage in SmartPSS to find exact moment. So I was wondering what are your settings? Do you only record upon motion detection event? Is it possible to record everything but also mark motion detection on time line?

Also, in general, would appreciate if someone can point to a how-to on setting cameras and network, including access to substream over internet.

Thanks,
Tommy

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the reply you quoted was the issue where with the 5231s, you can't setup IVS on them through the NVR. You have to connect directly to the camera with a browser and do it there. On the camera, make sure you set the Smart Plan to IVS, and on the NVR, make sure it's set to record IVS (or whatever the orange line is called).
Got IVS working like you said..hooking laptop directly to POE port and using browser. Wouldn't do it before from NVR and from SmartPSS on laptop. Also the SmartPlan menu with the lightbulb icon (yellow = on) was funny...reckon each camera has it's own software. Thanks a bunch..

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all,

Received my 3 cameras a week ago and did initial set up using non-POE NVR 5216 and external POE switch on Friday. The quality is amazing. Currently it's recording all the time but yesterday we had some visitors while we were away and I struggled to go through hours of footage in SmartPSS to find exact moment. So I was wondering what are your settings? Do you only record upon motion detection event? Is it possible to record everything but also mark motion detection on time line?

Also, in general, would appreciate if someone can point to a how-to on setting cameras and network, including access to substream over internet.

Thanks,
Tommy
This is what most of us do, set it to record all time 24/7 but use IVS, alarm trigger or motion detect to mark events in the recording timeline when it's triggered.

I suggest that you search "IVS" in this thread or in thread on the camera model you purchased to get an idea how to set up event triggers on the camera itself then go to NVR 5216 thread to download the NVR manual on how to mark events in the recording timeline when camera triggers it.

Bill

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Currently it's recording all the time but yesterday we had some visitors while we were away and I struggled to go through hours of footage in SmartPSS to find exact moment. So I was wondering what are your settings? Do you only record upon motion detection event? Is it possible to record everything but also mark motion detection on time line?
IMO, Motion Detection detects too much, which can cause too many marks on the time line where motion technically happened, but it wasn't anything you were interested in. I second TechBill's suggestion to look at using IVS.

I've had the best luck with drawing a shape around an area (driveway, porch, sidewalk, etc) and using IVS > Intrusion, with both the Crosses and Appears options checked. This will cause an event in your timeline if someone crosses the perimeter of the shape you drew, or if they suddenly appear within the shape (i.e. the camera didn't identify them until after they crossed the perimeter, so to the camera, they just "appeared" within your shape). You can also define minimum and maximum size for the objects. I have to use a minimum size to reduce the false alarms caused by bugs that fly close to the camera at night. For me, IVS gets it right 95% of the time, which is leaps and bounds better than how Motion Detection worked out for me.

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got 3 dahua cams running on BI with no issues.
That's good to hear. I'm really hoping BI runs good with these so I don't have to mess with anything else. I need it to run good on android though.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I'm really hoping BI runs good with these so I don't have to mess with anything else. I need it to run good on android though.
Android app works fairly well, sometimes if I background it or something and then bring it back up it acts weird and i have to kill it and re-open it but for the most part, it works pretty good.

Reaction score
I've read through this thread with much interest. I've got a few Foscams that I'm looking to replace. My question is: do the Dahua cams emit visible red through the IR LEDs? I get a bad glow from the Foscams. I go to lengths to hide the fact that I have cameras, so I hate the fact that you can see their eyes at night. I'm hoping a decent camera will not have that issue. Also, do the IR cannons have the same issue?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure these cameras operate in the 850nm spectrum, which means they are visible to the human eye. If you don't want to see them disable the IR and use 950nm illuminators.
Yes the cameras have two softly glowing red "eyes" at night watching over your property.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk