Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I already foresee 3 of these. I will power my SD59 with the provided adapter since i am going to use the external microphone. I have a Zyxel GS1920-24 port gigabit switch. I am thinking of adding a Zyxel GS1900-8HP to this. It is a gigabit PoE+ 802.3af/at switch and has 8 gigabit ports, all with PoE+ (70w total). Going cheaper; I can also go for the Zyxel GS1200-5HP, which has 4 PoE+ ports and 60w total (15w/channel). PoE+ FTW i guess :) saves indeed pulling extra cables and adding power outlets where i don't want them.

Back to the cam; the image quality is amazing, compared to the Foscam i had, no surprise there.

Before i start asking all the basic questions like "what changes do you guys recommend me to make on the default settings?" etc. is there a good howto to get started by the 'pro's' here where i can learn from?

And who has DST setup? Here in the Netherlands DST starts on the last Sunday of March and stops at the last Sunday of October. So i went to Setup > General > Date & Time and changed it to this:

Is that correct? The only change i made after the screenshot was clock.isc.org to nl.pool.ntp.org

Last edited:

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My cameras are on the way. Will DHL leave at the door if no one is home? Can't wait to get em
It depends on the country your lives. If you need to pay tax for your orders, like on germany dhl is not the best choice no chance to receive it without paying and being at home. Where you come from?

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I already foresee 3 of these. I will power my SD59 with the provided adapter since i am going to use the external microphone. I have a Zyxel GS1920-24 port gigabit switch. I am thinking of adding a Zyxel GS1900-8HP to this. It is a gigabit PoE+ 802.3af/at switch and has 8 gigabit ports, all with PoE+ (70w total). Going cheaper; I can also go for the Zyxel GS1200-5HP, which has 4 PoE+ ports and 60w total (15w/channel). PoE+ FTW i guess :) saves indeed pulling extra cables and adding power outlets where i don't want them.

Back to the cam; the image quality is amazing, compared to the Foscam i had, no surprise there.

Before i start asking all the basic questions like "what changes do you guys recommend me to make on the default settings?" etc. is there a good howto to get started by the 'pro's' here where i can learn from?

And who has DST setup? Here in the Netherlands DST starts on the last Sunday of March and stops at the last Sunday of October. So i went to Setup > General > Date & Time and changed it to this:

Is that correct? The only change i made after the screenshot was clock.isc.org to nl.pool.ntp.org
@liz
Welcome here. Please don't use dst settings. Raise time zone to +2, then your time is right. For ntp you can also use (my choice for europe) pool.ntp.org

The reason:
Dst is broken and causes on some devices after the next day wrong date stamps. (2033) and next thing, dst is not on specific day, it varies with 1-2 days. I put it again on the issue request to the DACH Dahua support. But this issue is really old, so I don't expect a fastvsolution.
At the moment we must correct all dahua devices by hand 2 times a year, if the cam is used in security setups. That's for us installer really unsatisfied and causes unnessesary work

larry1302

n3wb
Reaction score
On the DHL website (when tracking a shipment), I always signed up for all notifications on the shipment. On the day of delivery, they always texted me either manually asking me if it was OK to leave, or sending a URL where I could click on it that OK leaving it.
If you are in the USA, Go to www.dhl-usa.com/odd and enter your waybill number to authorize delivery w/o signature.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

if you buy the GS1900-8HP remember to change the poe mode to "consumption" rather than classification or it wont power more than 4 cameras...not sure why zyxel set the default to classification...great switch though..

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please view the attached image. All photos were taken with the IR off on all cameras. Can any explanation be given as to why the PTZ shows a dramatic difference with the WDR only set to 40 yet the 5231R-Z on 100 shows no difference?

P.S. 1) Before anyone says the view is terrible, this isn't the cameras normal zoom and 2) IR was purposely disabled as the IR on the PTZ is more much powerful than the 5231 and wanted to have a fair comparison.

View attachment 17076
Hopefully now an image is present it will help identify my issue... :facepalm:

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome here. Please don't use dst settings. Raise time zone to +2, then your time is right. For ntp you can also use (my choice for europe) pool.ntp.org

The reason:
Dst is broken and causes on some devices after the next day wrong date stamps. (2033) and next thing, dst is not on specific day, it varies with 1-2 days. I put it again on the issue request to the DACH Dahua support.
DST is always the last sunday on march and last sunday of october here, but if you say DST is flaky then i wont use it.

Does blue iris adds timestamp overlay which does work?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have absolutely zero issues with DST on International Model Dahua's, just worked perfectly a few weeks ago.. no problemo..

Now chinese domestic models had bugged out firmware regarding DST; I dont have anymore of those.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMG_5558.JPG IMG_5557.JPG I was thinking of running my Ethernet cables from my POE+ switch inside garage through the gaps in wire bird block vents alongside my garage...do I need to use special weather-proof cat6 or some sort of conduit for the cables, or can I use those really flat cat6 cables available now?

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got some hdw5231r-z's coming in and I'm curious what most people are using for their NVR solution on here. I will be running all Dahua cameras but I'd like to run a server based solution with good Android app support instead of an appliance NVR. How does SmartPSS compare to BlueIris? I've been trying out BI with my UVC-G3's (that I'm returning) and I've had several issues with it. Does anyone run their Dahua's on BI and not have any problems? Android app runs good also?

My Problem with the UVC-G3 and BI is low fps in all cameras view on android app, and choppy corrupt recordings. I've been unable resolve those issues after about a week of troubleshooting. I believe it's just UVC-G3 not playing nice with BI as they work fine with UniFi Video.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trouble with the flat stuff is the conductor size has to be really tiny and that's not good for POE. You want larger gauge for less voltage drop especially on longer runs. 23 awg solid copper. You can find a lot of folks on here using Monoprice cable. Conduit is the best way to protect the cables and will look neater.

You might be able to find some bulk cat 6 locally if you have a supply store or a Frys near you. The price might be comparable if you take into account shipping. Search for "Monoprice" on this forum and you'll see a lot of positive opinions. Belden is excellent as well.

View attachment 17088 View attachment 17089 I was thinking of running my Ethernet cables from my POE+ switch inside garage through the gaps in wire bird block vents alongside my garage...do I need to use special weather-proof cat6 or some sort of conduit for the cables, or can I use those really flat cat6 cables available now?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Trouble with the flat stuff is the conductor size has to be really tiny and that's not good for POE. You want larger gauge for less voltage drop especially on longer runs. 23 awg solid copper. You can find a lot of folks on here using Monoprice cable. Conduit is the best way to protect the cables and will look neater.

You might be able to find some bulk cat 6 locally if you have a supply store or a Frys near you. The price might be comparable if you take into account shipping. Search for "Monoprice" on this forum and you'll see a lot of positive opinions. Belden is excellent as well.
Agreed.

Note: If the cat6 cable is appropriately shaded from UV exposure, it should last fairly long even if not in conduit. In conduit you can expect it to last "forever".

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've just run into the same problem, cannot setup IVS on this camera thru my 5208 NVR. Setup went fine on 4 other Dahua cams but I get the " does not support configuration search or modification" on the starlight.
I've been messaging Andy about another order but I recently discovered IVS and I like it!
Just got my two 5231s in a few days ago. Testing them out and run into the exact same message and IVS problem. Can't get tripwire to work on either. Was a solution posted somewhere?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I love how it's 10pcs this, 20pcs that, BOOM 300pcs Hdw5231r-z haha. crazy demand.

also, HFW5231E-Z12 is live on dahuas site now.
booked 5pcs for this model, try to book HFW5431E-Z12, they said too new can't book.
Next week can get 110pcs in for the HDW5231R-Z but stock still little tight, only 30pcs left, will put on Aliexpress to sell on Tuesday.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just got my two 5231s in a few days ago. Testing them out and run into the exact same message and IVS problem. Can't get tripwire to work on either. Was a solution posted somewhere?
I think the reply you quoted was the issue where with the 5231s, you can't setup IVS on them through the NVR. You have to connect directly to the camera with a browser and do it there. On the camera, make sure you set the Smart Plan to IVS, and on the NVR, make sure it's set to record IVS (or whatever the orange line is called).

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got some hdw5231r-z's coming in and I'm curious what most people are using for their NVR solution on here. I will be running all Dahua cameras but I'd like to run a server based solution with good Android app support instead of an appliance NVR. How does SmartPSS compare to BlueIris? I've been trying out BI with my UVC-G3's (that I'm returning) and I've had several issues with it. Does anyone run their Dahua's on BI and not have any problems? Android app runs good also?

My Problem with the UVC-G3 and BI is low fps in all cameras view on android app, and choppy corrupt recordings. I've been unable resolve those issues after about a week of troubleshooting. I believe it's just UVC-G3 not playing nice with BI as they work fine with UniFi Video.
I've got 3 dahua cams running on BI with no issues.

holco

n3wb
Reaction score
Got my Dahua Starlight Varifocal (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) last week and installed it yesterday, all looks good :)