Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

PR1962

n3wb
Reaction score
Boy did I mess up that reply #

PR1962

n3wb
Reaction score
1-Yes they are.
2-Use this to determine cam placement: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100
3-The NVR mentioned above will do nicely for you. The NVR can provide the poe for you or you can get a NON-POE version of the NVR then use a POE switch. This allows you more flexibility in placement of the NVR. As you would run all cams cables to the POE switch, then only one cable from switch to the NVR. If you think you want an 8channel NVR, buy the 16 for future proofing very little cost difference.
4-More light never hurts. It depends on your exact situation.

There is NO need to purchase a multiport poe injector, a poe switch is about the same cost and doesn't care if its connected to the internet or not.

Thanks for the information !

PR1962

n3wb
Reaction score
Can ya link the lorex setup ya had from costco?
I was about to get one since i found out I can put Dahua with them, but if those 4k nightowls are crap at night then forget it I will build a complete dahua with the 2ks here.
thanx
The "color night vision " works only with a well illuminate area, I also found that misleading. ..

frank_l

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys!

Please see below, can you help me? tl;dr; "Ip-cam wrong username/password... and account is locked"

I've recently bought 4 new hdw5231RP-ZE as well as the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 from Andy.

So, yesterday I tried to install everything. First I turned on the NVR and went through the setup, setting the admin password and so on.

Then I plugged in (on the POE ports of the NVR) the first two ip-cams (one at a time) and they worked like a charm.

Unfortunately when I connected the third cam something strange happened, that is, I got a message "Wrong username or password"). So I tried to unplug and plug the camera several times but it always says wrong username or password, therefore I tried to edit the password (keeping "admin" as the username) putting the same password I used for the NVR and then the camera said "Account is locked".

Finally I decided to unplug one of the two working camera and plugged in the one with the issue using the cable of the other camera and
not only it kept saying "wrong username or password" (or if I edit the password "account is locked") but
when I connected back the working camera it presented me with the same message ("wrong username and password") and it is not working anymore.

So now only camera working.

I tried everything I could think of, like factory reset the NVR several times, disconnect and connect back both cameras but nothing helped.

I even upgraded the firmware of NVR to the original dahua one (the NVR (as well as the ip-cams) arrived with the firmware which doesn't have the Dahua logo).

Thank you and hope someone can help me...

In the meanwhile I already sent an email to Andy but since it is holiday in China I don't know when he will be able to answer.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello guys!

Please see below, can you help me? tl;dr; "Ip-cam wrong username/password... and account is locked"

<snip>

Thank you and hope someone can help me...

In the meanwhile I already sent an email to Andy but since it is holiday in China I don't know when he will be able to answer.
When you plug the camera into the Dahua NVR, the camera will take the password from the NVR (If it has newer firmware). At least that is what happened to me with a 2nd batch of cameras. Hard reset each camera and plug them in one at a time. Make sure to setup your NVR 1st before plugging the cameras in.

There is also a post around here about the cameras now needing to be "initialized". Maybe that is your issue as well.

frank_l

n3wb
Reaction score
When you plug the camera into the Dahua NVR, the camera will take the password from the NVR (If it has newer firmware). At least that is what happened to me with a 2nd batch of cameras. Hard reset each camera and plug them in one at a time. Make sure to setup your NVR 1st before plugging the cameras in.

There is also a post around here about the cameras now needing to be "initialized". Maybe that is your issue as well.
Thanks usaf_pride!

Unfortunately it looks like someone has set a password which I don't know and hence I can't access the webpage.
So I pressed the button "forgot password?" and the dialog says that it will send the security code to 2***@163.com.

Again I sent an email to Andy (hope he knows the password) and still waiting for an answer.

In the meanwhile is there a super admin account which I can use to access the webpage and hard reset the camera?

Thank you very much!

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@frank_l

You can hard-reset the camera to revert everything to the default, including its admin password. I haven't had a need to reset a cam yet, but there is a thread on this forum with pictures that show you how to get to that reset switch inside the camera's body.
Dahua camera reset proceedure.

If your NVR doesn't behave as expected, you can factory reset it as well.

upload_2018-2-14_8-22-45.png

Good luck

frank_l

n3wb
Reaction score
@frank_l

You can hard-reset the camera to revert everything to the default, including its admin password. I haven't had a need to reset a cam yet, but there is a thread on this forum with pictures that show you how to get to that reset switch inside the camera's body.
Dahua camera reset proceedure.

If your NVR doesn't behave as expected, you can factory reset it as well.

View attachment 26651

Good luck
Thank you for the reply nymphaeles.

Already tried that and it didn't fix the problem.
I got a reply from Andy and it seems that the only way to do it is indeed by pressing the button inside the camera.
I wish I could avoid that...

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace some old cameras with a Dahua starlight cameras. I know IPC-HDW5231R-Z was @nayr's favorite however is there a better camera now that I should use? I'd prefer a turret type.

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to buy one on Aliexpress...I have an older NVR with updated firmware. Anything in particular I need to do with the NVR to make sure I get the full potential from this camera?

I'm getting this camera b/c we've had guys checking to see if cars are unlocked and my older cameras don't do well in the low light so I can never make out their face or other details.

Can't wait to get some good footage of these guys!

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply nymphaeles.

Already tried that and it didn't fix the problem.
I got a reply from Andy and it seems that the only way to do it is indeed by pressing the button inside the camera.
I wish I could avoid that...
That’s unfortunate. If you had a back up of the settings it wouldn’t be a problem to reset it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure that you are getting the camera from Andy(Empire tech, or BEC Technology-if I remember correctly). These are international versions(firmware can be upgraded) and not Chinese versions with english menus. I know it's tempting to get the cheaper one, but you will regret it later.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how much did people pay for the NVR i am looking at either 8 channel or 16 channel with POE.

NVR5208/5216/5232-8P-4KS2

Reaction score
Apologies for this ridiculous beginner question...but I haven't seen any mention of it in looking around these forums for the past couple of hours.

If I am viewing the video from this camera on say my phone, can I pan the camera around and zoom in and out at will, or is this strictly just a camera that you set into position when you are installing and it doesn't move after that?

So simple I know, but I can't work it out from the pictures etc here. Thank you.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is not a PTZ camera, so you just use the zoom to adjust positioning during setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro