Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
does dahua has a windows-based VMS? is it free?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So the HDW5231R-ZE has replaced this model, correct? Why the change and is the new version better? Looks like it doesn't have the separate IR lights anymore (assuming that's what the two smaller circles are)? I have 3 of the Z version and I was looking to add one more, but wanted them to all be the same.
Correct. Dahua no longer makes the "Z" model. The change is for the next generation 5231, as they increased the varifocal angles a hair on both ends, and added extended POE, for the same price. Better is subjective. Paper specs are better for the same price. It looks different as it has a black "face" now. It does posses the two independent IR lights. They have been re-located to the top and bottom of the lens, instead of both below horizontally. You would have to find some old stock if you wanted them to match your current "Z's". There are plenty of them out there.

So the link on the first post is not the HDW5231R-ZE ?? I ordered 2 thinking I was getting the HDW5231R-ZE :
Dahua IPC HDW2231R ZS 2MP starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW2231R ZS without logo ,free shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

what does seperate the IR lights mean?
Unfortunately, that link is approaching 2 years old and directs to a different camera. Although they look the same as the 5231R-Z, the 2231's do not have an on-board microphone, extended POE and are limited to 2 streams. They do have the newer varifocal lens (2.7mm-13.5mm) of the ZE model, and are $55 cheaper.

Here is the correct link:

IPC HDW5231R ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

See above response for the separate IR lights.

SD

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@fenderman @bp2008 Can the link in the OP to Andy’s store (that used to pull up the 5231) be removed now that Dahua no longer makes this model? Might be worth adding a link to the 5231R-ZE review thread at the beginning of the OP so folks finding this thread get pointed in the right direction.

The link in the OP (to Andy’s store) pulls up the 2231, which is confusing because it looks like the 5231, but isn’t.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman @bp2008 Can the link in the OP to Andy’s store (that used to pull up the 5231) be removed now that Dahua no longer makes this model? Might be worth adding a link to the 5231R-ZE review thread at the beginning of the OP so folks finding this thread get pointed in the right direction.

The link in the OP (to Andy’s store) pulls up the 2231, which is confusing because it looks like the 5231, but isn’t.
I removed the incorrect link.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY Hey Andy was checking your Ali site and it shows no stock on the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE do your know when you'll have some?

OK, looks like there is a different link for this camera than shown in the post above. They show in stock at this location (though a few dollars more):
IPC HDW5231R ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

well, Ordered one from this new link and now it shows no stock. We'll see.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY Hey Andy was checking your Ali site and it shows no stock on the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE do your know when you'll have some?

OK, looks like there is a different link for this camera than shown in the post above. They show in stock at this location (though a few dollars more):

well, Ordered one from this new link and now it shows no stock. We'll see.
Yes, this Sunday we will get enough stock, and just update the stock on it , thank you.

Last edited:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is this the same camera?

DAHUA English 2MP POE IR Eyeball IP Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE POE SD Card slot Starlight network web Cam replace IPC HDW5231R Z-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Also, I am looking to replace a bunch of Hikvision comes with turrets as I am tired of figuring out the clouds... Happy to stick to fixed lenses for most of them if there is a cheaper model?

i would prefer not to replace my Hikvision NVR if possible. How well do the Dahua came play with the Hik NVRs?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this the same camera?

DAHUA English 2MP POE IR Eyeball IP Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE POE SD Card slot Starlight network web Cam replace IPC HDW5231R Z-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Also, I am looking to replace a bunch of Hikvision comes with turrets as I am tired of figuring out the clouds... Happy to stick to fixed lenses for most of them if there is a cheaper model?

i would prefer not to replace my Hikvision NVR if possible. How well do the Dahua came play with the Hik NVRs?
This: Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
If you want full functionality of the cams, put the Hik up for sale and replace it with a Dahua.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
With the Hikvision nvr you won't be able to use any of the IVS features for event triggering, and configuring the camera via the nvr will be very limited. I went through this and sold my LTS (same as Hikvision) nvr and replaced it with a dahua nvr. The big system cost is with the cameras, and the big work is with running the wires. The nvr is the "tail wagging the dog". It hurt taking a loss on the nvr but I don't have even the slightest regret.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I missing some resistors?
Unlikely, unless you were really rough with the clean up.
Not all boards have all components mounted, depends on other component and options variations.
Where was the water damage?
No signs of life at all? Link detect on ethernet? Warmth on any of the chips?
If you have a multimeter, check out the fuse which should be easy enough to spot.

leafkicker

n3wb
Reaction score
Was gentle cleaning up, water damage was very mild in the region of the resistors on the control board and lens was fogged up. No sign of life when plugging in even on the switch so I will look for a fuse, I didn't expect one thanks.

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm getting close to mounting these (I got 3 from Andy) .. I will be mounting them vertically to wood siding..

I'd like to avoid using boxes and just stuff the cables into the wall..

I'm not sure how to orient the backplate ..

I'm also not sure how to rotate the camera for correct orientation.

Where should the IR be in relation to the lens?

Thanks, Joe

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting close to mounting these (I got 3 from Andy) .. I will be mounting them vertically to wood siding..

I'd like to avoid using boxes and just stuff the cables into the wall..

I'm not sure how to orient the backplate ..

I'm also not sure how to rotate the camera for correct orientation.

Where should the IR be in relation to the lens?

Thanks, Joe
Ir should be below the lens.
Take one apart and it should be obvious how to mount.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So it should go like this, right? View attachment 32364
That's not the camera mentioned in this thread. That is the HDW5231R-ZE version. I assumed you were referring to the cam in this thread.

That cam, you would put the lens glass horizontal, not veritical as you show there. And the "lip" outlined in red would be placed below the lense.

Untitled.jpg

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all. Need some help as have been tearing what's left of my hair out all afternoon!

Just received three of these from Andy and am trying to add the first to an XVR7416L DVR. I've changed the IP address to static, changed the admin password and can successfully login via a browser and view the stream and settings. However I cannot get the NVR to successfully show the stream. It sees the camera but there's a red circle under status indicating failed connection. I've checked the username and password but it often states account locked in the display screen for the camera. Tried a reboot after checking password but no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated. It's my first IP install as I'm used to analogue so apologies for being stupid.