Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have HID up front and they are not cheap to operate, I meant to order a 3k color one but late night ordered the 5k on accident.. I think I like the 5k outside more than I thought I would, on the back I can see the benefit espically for BBQ.. Guess we'll decide what to do up front.

I actually had a HID here but the motion sensor filter got baked and broken in the sun, so when I power washed the house back in October it fried the transformer.. motion sensors exposed to the sun simply dont last long.. this only has dusk/dawn sensor but I have the rear switch on Z-Wave and its setup so the back door or any of the rear gates will flip the light on after 10pm and keep it on for 15mins (usually letting dogs go piss).. otherwise its on from sunset to 10pm w/random interval.

Im pretty sure these same type fixtures will go up front in 3 spots, just to decide on color temp.. inside is all warm lighting except my office, laundry room and garage.
Light Pollution and Insects: Insect Attraction to Various Types of Residential Lights
I saw something else on this earlier in the year but can't find that article.

What kind of light did you stick up?

HID outputs more UV, HPS outputs more IR. The change on some traffic cams after they switched from hps to led streetlights is pretty remarkable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Installed a new 25W Dusk/Dawn back patio light, I like it.. may start replacing my other fixtures w/LED.

and to show the 3MP 4300S was no slouch at night w/lots of light
Oh yeah only with supplementary lighting. If only it had a bigger sensor to accommodate the additional 1 MP count so as to make each photo cell larger it would have performed better without the need for additional lighting. Sadly, the trend has never been this way with most of the cameras out there including DSLRs. This is why I don't indulge in the megapixel race.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh yeah only with supplementary lighting. If only it had a bigger sensor to accommodate the additional 1 MP count so as to make each photo cell larger it would have performed better without the need for additional lighting. Sadly, the trend has never been this way with most of the cameras out there including DSLRs. This is why I don't indulge in the megapixel race.
I bought 3x 3mp hikvision cameras because they were the most popular and I was all into the more mp is better, then I learned that they do tricks to make it 3mp, and the sensors aren't big enough to take advantage etc. etc. so now I'm getting into these 2mp cameras. glad I learned that before I bought more cameras haha.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happy New Year to you hmj, Ryan and the rest of the wonderful folks here on ipcamtalk!!!

lol The only place here in Florida that keeps me from going elsewhere is the Space Coast. Happy surveillance all!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The sensors in these Starlights are quite a bit more sensitive than we've traditionally been accustom too in the sub $200 range.. the Non Starlight 2MP model: IPC-HFW5220E-Z | Dahua Technology is rated at 0.01, instead of 0.006 lux..

Compared to the previous generation of Starlight cameras with a larger 1/1.9 sensor: IPC-HFW8232E-Z | Dahua Technology that got down to 0.002 Lux all at F1.4 like the above.. this camera costs in excess of $100 more than the 1/2.8 Starlights and does even better but is beyond the range most people are willing to spend per camera.

The 1/1.9in sensor requires more expensive optics; so the price is greater as a result 1/2.8 is pretty standard 1080p security optics and very easy to slide in place on existing fabrication.. thats why I said in first post you can have your cake and eat it too.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Happy New Year to you hmj, Ryan and the rest of the wonderful folks here on ipcamtalk!!!

lol The only place here in Florida that keeps me from going elsewhere is the Space Coast. Happy surveillance all!
Is that where you live? I'm up in Jacksonville.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand about these Dahua Starlight models; why are people in the US buying them from China when the shipping cost is over $100.?

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The nice thing of those wall mounts of the pfb20x series is that the part that is mounted to the wall is the same for the series.
So if you have a mini ptz it uses a pfb202w and this turret uses a pfb203w you can swap them out simply. The part you see is locked with a small bolt to the part fixed on the wall. No need to drill new holes..

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand about these Dahua Starlight models; why are people in the US buying them from China when the shipping cost is over $100.?
Yeah I dunno where you're getting them from but we are getting them with free shipping lol that is why we buy them from china, US resellers jack the prices up like crazy, crooks.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ive had one recording for almost 3 years w/out issue.. others fail in short order; it can be a crap shoot at times.. I do burn in tests now.
What brand of SD card are you using? BJ

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its spec'd to draw 25W, says its equivalent to a 150-200W.. I replaced a 100W HPS light and it's alot more lumens.

the z-wave switch on this dont show me actual power draw so I have no idea if its really drawing that or not.