Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Discussion in 'Dahua' started by nayr, Nov 9, 2016.

Share This Page

1. rcirz

rcirz Getting the hang of it

It does however focus just hunts for a while and stops way out of focus. This may be because it is super dark out. IR is on but the focal point for me is quite far.

2. hmjgriffon

hmjgriffon Known around here

I've got my turret on the coffee table, no problems zooming in and out in BI, it's pointing at the christmas I haven't taken down yet haha, also streaming it to youtube live.

3. flynreelow

flynreelow Young grasshopper

youtube link?

hmjgriffon likes this.
  4. mcx

mcx Getting the hang of it

Mine looks like this:

[​IMG]

I never choose Make and Model, only write IP and psw then click Find/inspect. After that I set Receive buffer to 20 and uncheck those RTSP things.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. aristobrat

aristobrat Getting comfortable

Awesome! Guess you'll be shooting out PayPal invoices soon then?

hmjgriffon likes this.
  6. hmjgriffon

Sorry, just saw this, and I had set it to private because I wanted to see if it would work lol. I dunno that I will stream any cams from inside of my house I'm pretty paranoid but perhaps when I get my PTZ up or something I'll stream some outside video. As long as no street signs are visible I don't think anyone would be able to figure out where I live. I am intrigued by the idea of crowdsourced surveillance though, not with just any random person on the internet mind you, but maybe in a group. I sort of do this when I go out of town and take my dog with us. I have a buddy that lives a mile away and has lots of guns who keeps an eye on my cams so you know, if someone did break in, they wouldn't have long to do their business.

Tic likes this.
  7. hmjgriffon

Paypal is my preferred payment method, you have some protection from an american company, and I think it's cheaper for Andy and therefore cheaper for you. Not saying I don't trust Andy, I don't trust anyone, lol. He's been a good dude though, once you find a reputable dealer from China for cameras you definitely need to stick with them.

Tic and aristobrat like this.
  8. aristobrat

aristobrat Getting comfortable

Oh, no worries with either @EMPIRETECANDY or PayPal. That was my over-anxious way of saying "I hope Andy sends me a PayPal invoice soon, so I know if mine made this batch or not". :D

hmjgriffon likes this.
  9. mmdb

mmdb Getting the hang of it

same here im also waiting for paypal invoice ...

hmjgriffon likes this.
  10. hmjgriffon

On a positive note, my PTZ is out for delivery, he told me I'd get it Friday, woohoo.

11. GuitarKin

GuitarKin n3wb

Mine is too :). I think that it's here (Finland) next week.

hmjgriffon likes this.
  12. cor35vet

cor35vet Pulling my weight

Does anyone have an image of the firmware that is running on those cameras?
    Otherwise:
    Did anyone have success getting shell access on their camera? (e.g. telnet)
    If so then it'd be nice if you could make a firmware dump and send it my way:
    Use this script here that you'd put on your NAS or SD card and execute there: https://i.botox.bz/backup_mtd.sh
    The files will be written to the current working directory.

Or actually a lot easier, one of you guys download this file off of their camera and post it here: http://192.168.1.108/custom_lang/English.txt?version=2.400
    Works for all other languages you have aswell if you do :D

13. nayr

nayr Known around here

you should read this: Reamde: A Novel: Neal Stephenson: 9780062191496: Amazon.com: Books

in part of the book they describe a crowd sourced video surveillance system for airports, to prevent someone from walking in an exit they turned every human in the airport into a troll in World of Warcraft (equivalent) and would reward players if they killed any troll that were walking the wrong way through an exit.. which would alert security that someone was about to bypass checkpoints and catch em before they had to shut the whole airport down to find em.. they basically turned watching security cameras in airports into a crowd-sourced game :)

glennd and hmjgriffon like this.
  14. hmjgriffon

There ya go.

15. doretau

doretau Young grasshopper

a quick question for current owners of this dahua camera. with the ability to use a micro sd for backup recording, do you have the option to only record to sd only when there's motion while setting the NVR to record 24/7? I ask because the sandisk high endurance micro sd states it can handle up to 10,000 hours of video. if the card is being written 24/7, that 10,000 hour does not amount to much.

16. nayr

nayr Known around here

yes it can, second of all fuck sandisk, buy a samsung.. and lastly 10k hours is 416 days minimum and video could mean anything.. from crappy SD camera to UHD with great codecs, not really usefull metric.

17. doretau

i got the sandisk mainly for the "high endurance" label supposedly made for dash cams and security cams. it supposedly uses MLC for longevity/reliability. the equivalent Transcend cost quite a bit more.

What Samsung would you recommend instead that has MLC nand? I have been using the Sandisk mentioned above in 2 dash cams so far without issue, granted it's only been a few months.

18. nayr

nayr Known around here

Ive been recording continuously to Evo+ without a problem; dont need MLC as long as your not getting the bottom of the barrel crap..

hmjgriffon likes this.
  19. doretau

the thing is, there's literally no way to tell what type of nand, good/bad or bottom of the barrel that will come with just about all other memory out there if they don't mention it's optimized for writes. you could argue it's all marketing but i've nothing else to go off of other than asking on forums like this.

20. nayr

nayr Known around here

the faster the speeds, the more quality the NAND.. security cameras dont need 20MB/s write speed by any stretch; so most just buy whatever's cheapest and then quickly regret it a few months later.. but the higher quality NAND gets put in the biggest and fastest chips first, then as quality decreases they put it in mid and low range products depending on how many defects it has.

I just use mine as backup recording, its not primary.. so its not mission critical and im not keen on spending more on the flash than I did for the camera or 10BTB of storage.. otherwise I'd just buy a 2nd NVR.

21. doretau

good point, thanks for the feedback.

22. glennd

glennd n3wb

This is the one @nayr recommended in an earlier post,Samsung 128GB EVO+ microSDHC Card with Adapter, MB-MC128DA/AM

23. GuiBou

GuiBou Getting the hang of it

Hey @hmjgriffon could you please just tell me which method are you using to stream to YouTube? I succeeded last night FROM BI directly but it stops after 8-10 minutes. Maybe it's just because my Dahua was set to h.265 which I love using... :)

24. GuiBou

I think it was just the H.265...30 minutes now and counting...already better. Youtube is just warning me that 2592 x 1520 is not an optimal resolution.

EDIT : OOPS...stopped by itself after 33:30 minutes. :( Still don't really know what's my problem. I'll try again with ffmpeg command line. I already succeeded too with it...but it was skipping a lot of frames.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  25. nayr

nayr Known around here

what kinda upload speeds do you have? When im doing a live session at high quality its using about half my upload capabilities and Ive got 15Mbps up.. Ive also got QoS rules that keep anything from taking it all up so everything is nice and smooth while others also use the internet.

also be weary if you have any kinda meetered/limited connection; live streaming could cost you a small fortune or get your internet speeds crippled.

it may be required to encode your video at a bitrate/fps appropriate for your upload ceiling.. I tweaked mine and 30FPS 1080P H264 AAC@48kHz w/VBR Max 6144 &w/Iframe 60; google was happy and everything looked pretty good..

If I did real slow shutter speeds simulating a weatherCam I had to lower iFrame to match FPS as google wants one of those every 2s

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    hmjgriffon and GuiBou like this.
  26. GuiBou

I have 10Mbps up, unlimited and testing when everyone else is sleeping. So no big traffic... :)
    I'll have to test a lot...Thanks for your settings I might test this too :)

27. AP-123

AP-123 Young grasshopper

Anyone setting up conditions in camera for profile management or doing your adjustments in your NVR or BI? Seems all mine were default to full time day.

28. mcx

mcx Getting the hang of it

I use Blue Iris Event schedule and PTZ presets to switch day and night profiles based on sunrise/sunset.

Preset 1 (day)

Code:
    http://user:psw@IP/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=0
    Preset 2 (night)

Code:
    http://user:psw@IP/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=1

ilrider78 and aristobrat like this.
  29. jtik

jtik n3wb

Is there any downside to using VBR? It seems really good, but I haven't tested my cameras in real conditions yet just in my office. Is anyone using the shutter priority exposure option? I can see where having experience tweaking cameras would really be useful.

30. hmjgriffon

variable bit rate tries to figure out when the video stream doesn't need as much bandwidth and goes up and down, but if something changes quickly it may not be able to handle it, this could translate into ghosting and stuff in your video, it also saves hard drive space, but to me, drive space is cheap and if you're running decent network stuff why limit the quality of surveillance footage.