Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I doubt your gonna see a performance jump like this again anytime soon; only thing that might happen in 2017 is other vendors start integrating this sensor into there own products.. but you cant really go wrong w/Dahua and its established quality.

The Surveillance Industry moves rather slowly; its not like SmartPhones and in 2 years yours will self destruct if you dont replace it with something always thinner, sometimes larger or sometimes smaller, and worse battery.. my system is showing its age up against these cameras but this kinda jump is uncommon, we'll be lucky to see gains like this again in another 2-3 years.

dahua has not even cranked out any quantities of the products it promised last summer.. were just now getting these out into people's hands, but only via importing em.
You got that right, I remember when I got into cameras and was like, why are the megapixels so low compared to everything else? And why are such low megapixel cameras so damned expensive? I kinda feel like they do it because they can get away with it, people will keep paying so they don't have to innovate much. It reminds me of glucose meters, when I found out I am diabetic I started looking into the tech and it's so freaking old but they know they have you by the nuts.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx nayr,for explaining .. im buying from andy and no one else... just waiting andy to send invoice... going like you recommend 5 IPC-HDW5231R-Z and NVR5216-16P-4KS2...for now and later ill add some more starlights and maybe some nice ptz when budget allow ...

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is the PFA137 the junction box needed to mount this varifocal on any exterior wall or under eaves? is a junction box essential or just optional?..sorry if this is a noob question

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
is the PFA137 the junction box needed to mount this varifocal on any exterior wall or under eaves? is a junction box essential or just optional?..sorry if this is a noob question
No it's not required but you will need some type of junction box to waterproof the RJ45 + power pig tail unless you've drilled a big enough hole to hide it in the wall / mounting place. This camera can be mounted to without any junction box as long as you water proof the pig tail.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before this year ends I would just like to give nayr big respect for not only introducing this camera to us all but for all his efforts on this forum and his detailed reviews of this and all the other cameras he's taken his own time and effort to review.
Also trying to educate people on the use of VPN! hats off to you my friend. Not forgetting Andy @ Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling camera bag,camera flexible,camera protect and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group for his utmost professionalism in supplying the "Starlight" and his communication! And fendermanfor running this forum... Happy New Year to you all.....

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I def. Feel fortunate running into this board, I'm sure my purchasing would of gone a completely different and disappointing / more expensive if I hadn't.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats what were here for; exposing the secrets even the pro's dont know about yet..

@fenderman and I might seem like total dicks sometimes; but its only because we have zero tolerance for junk... If you want to indulge in some consumer level bullshit and throw your money away there are other internet safe spaces you can spread your ignorance like wildfire.. I understand most everyone has a tight budget; but throwing your money away on garbage is not budget friendly in the long run.. You wont find me on other related boards because they dont have such fact based policies and people spreading ignorance are protected from criticism.

There's far more junk out there than gem's like this fine camera; when you see all the forum elders suggesting something it's probably wise to take notice.. I'll be the first to admit I am a bit biased towards Dahua, with good reason.. and even this thing totally took me by surprise.. I expected some very good performance out of the Varifocal Turret; but not field destroying performance.. Dahua's set the bar by which all others are now judged; from PTZ to Fixed Cameras.. and im finding everything else lacking in comparison to the Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy can do discounts too if you contact him directly. These things are selling like hot cakes though.
I did exactly that and the price at the time was same $170.99 and got an invoice in the amount of $338 for two. Two bucks discount -- can't complain.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before this year ends I would just like to give nayr big respect for not only introducing this camera to us all but for all his efforts on this forum and his detailed reviews of this and all the other cameras he's taken his own time and effort to review.
Also trying to educate people on the use of VPN! hats off to you my friend. Not forgetting Andy @ Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling camera bag,camera flexible,camera protect and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group for his utmost professionalism in supplying the "Starlight" and his communication! And fendermanfor running this forum... Happy New Year to you all.....
I second that!!!

This is what forums are all about -- helping others, sharing ideas, spreading the love of Jesus to everyone -- God's kingdom on earth.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think you'll need or use the junction box with that bracket; however that bracket is not needed at all as this camera does not require a horizontal mounting platform.. it can be mounted flush up against the wall and the PFA137 will allow direct connection w/Conduit as that does not appear to accept that.

those brackets are more for stuff like the Mini Black Face PTZ that do require a horizontal platform and wont work well mounted vertically to the wall.

If you wanted to get it a bit further away from the wall I suppose it'd work for that, but that reach is just a few inches and I doubt it'll be enough.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Installed a new 25W Dusk/Dawn back patio light, I like it.. may start replacing my other fixtures w/LED.

and to show the 3MP 4300S was no slouch at night w/lots of light:
Galileo NVR-Back Patio-2016-12-31-18-34-58.jpg

Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LED seemed to help with the picture for me vs fluorescent or incandescent. I'm glad I have them, at first I thought they would be a problem since they are so bright.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have HID up front and they are not cheap to operate, I meant to order a 3k color one but late night ordered the 5k on accident.. I think I like the 5k outside more than I thought I would, on the back I can see the benefit espically for BBQ.. Guess we'll decide what to do up front.

I actually had a HID here but the motion sensor filter got baked and broken in the sun, so when I power washed the house back in October it fried the transformer.. motion sensors exposed to the sun simply dont last long.. this only has dusk/dawn sensor but I have the rear switch on Z-Wave and its setup so the back door or any of the rear gates will flip the light on after 10pm and keep it on for 15mins (usually letting dogs go piss).. otherwise its on from sunset to 10pm w/random interval.

Im pretty sure these same type fixtures will go up front in 3 spots, just to decide on color temp.. inside is all warm lighting except my office, laundry room and garage.