Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
call me old fashioned but i like UL listed light fixtures.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mebe if I didnt have it installed directly to a brick surface I'd mind.. but I dont, build quality is nice.. it has an IP66 rated LED driver inside a gasket sealed cast aluminum enclosure, seemed pretty good build quality to me.. its not like these things are rocket science heh.. but yeah I took it all apart and checked it over before installing it.

I'm pretty sure my name brand Heath/Zenith lights that cracked apart from UV exposure and fried its self were UL listed so its not much an indicator of quality, just best practices.

Wish it had a glass lens cover, this plastic one I see fogging/yellowing up in a couple years like the last one..
IMAG0717.jpg

Old light is mebe as old as my 4300S on the other side of the door, this is why you dont install domes outside.. UV Stable just means it wont get this bad within the first couple months.. All plastics degrade from UV, just some do faster than others.. clear plastics are espically susceptible.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm assuming Andy has stock stored inside the US to be able to ship so quickly, nothing comes straight from China in less than a month lol.
Took 3 days for DHL to get it in my hands.. DHL/FedEx can get it damn fast and travels via air.. ePacket is going to take 2-3 weeks in transit at minimum via boats.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DHL arguably handles international shipping better than anyone else

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@nayr could you please do a test for me at night ? I would like to check if shutter speed is still good at 12mm, can you go in your garden, wave, then wave at same speed at 12mm to see if movement become washed/shadowed ? I ask that because I saw no information about aperture at 12mm.

Rareform

n3wb
Reaction score
I received my camera from andy last week. The picture is great. Now all I need is to figure how to make it work with my NVR HNR32P6-16. I was able to get it to work plugged into my router with the disk that was sent but no go with the NVR. The ir lights come on and my NVR knows it's there the NVR says detecting N/A. I'm sure it's something simple. If I can't figure it out I will take it to camstar and have them help me. The only reason I bought a camstar system was they are close to me and I figured I would get support. I guess I will see.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
DHL arguably handles international shipping better than anyone else
Except possibly at the local level, which I imagine is quite variable. About a month ago we had snow that made the roads pretty tough for a couple of days, after which the roads were cleared pretty well. The local DHL delivery arm sat on my camera for 2 weeks, saying it was undeliverable due to weather. About half of those days the sun was out and with minor exceptions the pavement was dry and bare. 3 days from China, 2 weeks for the last hundred miles.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Except possibly at the local level, which I imagine is quite variable. About a month ago we had snow that made the roads pretty tough for a couple of days, after which the roads were cleared pretty well. The local DHL delivery arm sat on my camera for 2 weeks, saying it was undeliverable due to weather. About half of those days the sun was out and with minor exceptions the pavement was dry and bare. 3 days from China, 2 weeks for the last hundred miles.
I live in Florida so there should be no problems I hope, he said mine would go out monday and I'd get it this coming week. Cannot wait because if i Iike it I will probably immediately order like 3 more lol. I want to get the outside of the property covered with overview and choke point cameras everywhere, then I may start looking for a good camera to do license plate shots on my street. I also want to get a nice starlight PTZ, with one on every side of the house eventually. Yeah, I'm a little nuts.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@nayr could you please do a test for me at night ? I would like to check if shutter speed is still good at 12mm, can you go in your garden, wave, then wave at same speed at 12mm to see if movement become washed/shadowed ? I ask that because I saw no information about aperture at 12mm.
since my camera test rig fell over from my 110lb Pyrenees Ive been unable to achieve focus at full zoom with this camera; I think I need to open it up and manually focus it to get it back within software range.. I knocked something out of wack and at wide angle the focus is too high, im sure fiddling can get it back into range but ive not bothered yet as I plan on ordering a couple more of these cameras.

from full wide to around ~8mm I notice no degradation in performance.. the iris is independent from the focus.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Cannot wait to get mine, I got my cpu usage down so low with this computer I think I might be able to do about 16 or so 2mp cameras, maybe 20, heh heh.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY aka, Andy @ Empire Tec. the AliExpress store that was the first to obtain any significant stocks of this camera and has been fairly active on these boards.
Also since buying from aliexpress can be kind of iffy, it's awesome to find reputable dealers who people have dealt with, you can buy with a lot more confidence.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All plastics degrade from UV, just some do faster than others.. clear plastics are espically susceptible.
Just get a Rust-Oleum clear gloss anti-UV spray can from Lowe's or Walmart and put it on there just like what others do to protect their newly polished headlights from turning yellow again.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Just get a Rust-Oleum clear gloss anti-UV spray can from Lowe's or Walmart and put it on there just like what others do to protect their newly polished headlights from turning yellow again.
hmmm, I did not know that works on headlights, I think I will do that lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they still turn yellow again, Ive refurbished a few headlamps in my day.. its radiation from the sun vs a can of spray, guess whats going to win? if that can of spray worked the'd of used in the plastics when they made it in the first place.. oh wait they did :p

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
they still turn yellow again, Ive refurbished a few headlamps in my day.. its the sun vs a can of spray, guess whats going to win? if that can of spray worked the'd of used in the plastics when they made it in the first place.. oh wait they did :p
yeah, I always thought it was from moisture getting inside or something, meh, if my car lasts long enough I'll just get new headlights, or find a way to clean them up. There is a reason why I don't own a fancy or expensive car. I need more money for my hobbies, like security cameras.