Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
blue iris can pull onvif alerts from the camera....however, you dont need that crap..blue iris motion detection is much more sophisticated than tripwire...it has multiple zone options with zone crossing detection.
Being a victim, I mean user of BI motion detection, I'd still rather rely on PIR motion sensors lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
its not a PTZ; I doubt zoom/focus are controllable via onvif.. SmartPSS wont even zoom/focus it w/the ptz controls.

testing a potential install location today, just a few feet off the ground.. was worried about the sun but its no problem apparently:
View attachment 13400

Good overview shot, are you going to replace it with a bullet?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nah this is going to be my turrets permanent home, my black face PTZ is above it.. but its normally looking the other direction, I wanted an over view camera that I can use in conjunction with the PTZ for closer shots.

tonight I'll take some comparison shots w/the PTZ to see how a 3yr old discontinued Black Face PTZ compares with the starlight.

This is right above the cat door coming out of my garage, havent put an overview camera in the back yard because how dark it is and how much light it'd require.. so we'll see how this thing does once the sun goes down.. I can do intrusion detection to move my PTZ around and tha'll bring even more IR onto the scene.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Being a victim, I mean user of BI motion detection, I'd still rather rely on PIR motion sensors lol.
BI motion detection is fantastic and if you PROPERLY set up and read the manual you will eliminate false alerts. Most folks keep default settings, dont read the manual or both and then complain..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a comparison with my Discontinued 3yr old 2MP (non-starlight obviously) Dahua Black Face PTZ, ptz is zoomed in much further to its gain and still gets spanked, it was top of the line at the time but now I'll be upgrading this PTZ soon.
Galileo NVR-West PTZ-2016-12-26-17-36-16.jpg
Galileo NVR-Dahua 2MP Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2016-12-26-17-36-22.jpg

but just to show my PTZ is no slouch; crank up the IR/Zoom and I can see this:
Galileo NVR-West PTZ-2016-12-26-17-46-20.jpg
Galileo NVR-Dahua 2MP Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2016-12-26-17-46-07.jpg

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its the IR from both combined, but PTZ is not at max IR (updated last post w/full zoom shot of ptz) both are running AutoExposure.

there is no visible lighting on my side of the fence.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
BI motion detection is fantastic and if you PROPERLY set up and read the manual you will eliminate false alerts. Most folks keep default settings, dont read the manual or both and then complain..
So you don't get any false alarms at all? Interesting, might have to play with it again, can you take a screenshot of your settings? If it actually works I could just buy the turrets and not mess with PIR at all.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a comparison with my Discontinued 3yr old 2MP (non-starlight obviously) Dahua Black Face PTZ, ptz is zoomed in much further to its gain and still gets spanked, it was top of the line at the time but now I'll be upgrading this PTZ soon.
View attachment 13403
View attachment 13404

but just to show my PTZ is no slouch; crank up the IR/Zoom and I can see this:
View attachment 13405
View attachment 13406
What PTZ are you going to go for? I was looking at this one. SD59225U-HNI

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you don't get any false alarms at all? Interesting, might have to play with it again, can you take a screenshot of your settings? If it actually works I could just buy the turrets and not mess with PIR at all.
settings will vary from camera to camera and more specifically the locations...make use of the zone crossing and other options....

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
back to install advice; its not that the fasteners/anchors that come with the camera are crap.. I honestly dont know, as I long ago gave up on using the cheap ass anchors that come from china and just discard them and use some good trusty ones from my local hardware store.. in my experience bundled screws/anchors are always crap, just to be used in a pinch if your desperate to avoid a trip to a box store heh.
Unless you are mounting in to Sheetrock, I would personally stay away from their stock mounting hardware. The screws are crap and will strip with ease. Unless you like the challenge of trying to unscrew a screw that made it 80% of the way then the head strips and you have to try to unscrew it out.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
its not a PTZ; I doubt zoom/focus are controllable via onvif.. SmartPSS wont even zoom/focus it w/the ptz controls.

testing a potential install location today, just a few feet off the ground.. was worried about the sun but its no problem apparently:
View attachment 13400
Very Nice daytime clarity, Seems a lot of us who have little kids will have those yellow and red buses hanging around the yard, mine included.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@nayr,
Could you try to take a picture without ir and nearly without background light? I think with settings on low distortions and slow shutter speed the night view for weather forecast will be brillant.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
************UPDATES
I get another 100pcs stock today, so you guys can buy directly. For those order still pending ones, we can ship all out on Wednesday/Thursday.
EMPIRE Shop
Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

BEC shop

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

We can't ship any new order if this lot stock use up, because we have a 20days new year holiday from Jan.15th-Feb.5th.
If can't buy online, so have to use paypal, most guys use this way before.

Thanks for your support.
Andy