Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I finally set up email notifications today (IVS only), and had to turn them off due to too many emails.

I tried increasing the email frequency in the Network > SMTP (Email) settings, but that does not seem to work.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you tried decreasing?
Yes. I started out at the minimum of 60 seconds, and then went up to 300 seconds, but it will still send an email every minute if warranted by the triggers set.

Correction: The default is 0 seconds, which I am pretty sure I started out at, then went to 60 seconds, then 300 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since I don't recall anyone posting about the large amount of emails received due to valid IVS-triggered event, I am guessing there are a few possible reasons:

1) Owners have a Dahua NVR, which has some extra options to limit the amount or frequency of emails.
2) Owners are using IDMSS or GDMSS paid apps and push notifications.
3) Owners are using Blue Iris.
4) Owners don't use email, and simply view the alerts on the camera and/or NVR playback area.

I want to have some idea of what my kids are up to when I am not there, so any guidance here is appreciated.

Mark

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, let me try again....

Is there a way to update the text overlay besides the web GUI interface, such as an SDK or json or something else? I want to update the overlay with weather data periodically so need an way to do this programmatically from the computer the camera is connected to.

Thanks
HTTP API
Usage Example. Line 17

Attachments

bohemian

n3wb
Reaction score
That might do the trick.
According to the API document above (thanks!), there mode are transitions (day/night, colour/b&w, flash on/off) that are tied to a property they refer to as "brightness". I assume it's some representation or the cameras ambient light sensor. If I could pull that value, I might be better off.

Problem is, I don't think it's exposed through the API.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I assume the ...CustomTitle[1].Text refers to the second line of the five available? And if I want to update all five lines I can just append them to the end, each starting with an ampersand?
That isn't my script I linked, but I would assume the same. setup a string with 0-4, or maybe more, and send it. see which lines work or dont :)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since I don't recall anyone posting about the large amount of emails received due to valid IVS-triggered event, I am guessing there are a few possible reasons:

1) Owners have a Dahua NVR, which has some extra options to limit the amount or frequency of emails.
2) Owners are using IDMSS or GDMSS paid apps and push notifications.
3) Owners are using Blue Iris.
4) Owners don't use email, and simply view the alerts on the camera and/or NVR playback area.

I want to have some idea of what my kids are up to when I am not there, so any guidance here is appreciated.

Mark

Can someone please throw me a bone, here? :highfive:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can someone please throw me a bone, here? :highfive:
Not exactly sure what your question is....

But I've never messed with emails. Was using Dahua NVR IVS push notifications to the paid gDMSS app on my Android till that feature broke. Supposedly the new NVR firmware might have fixed that.

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HTTP API
Usage Example. Line 17
So I have a number of the 5231's installed but I also have some QSee cameras that were rebranded from Dahua and are ID'd as IPC-HFW3200S.

These cameras don't have the custom text overlay in the GUI that the 5231 does. But the parameters do show up in the VideoWidget. Can I set the parameters thru the HTTP commands? I guess a little testing might be in order. BTW, I've looked for updated firmware for the camera and the only thing I found close is only about 2 weeks later than one that's installed.
Thanks

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All, with this camera, am I right in saying I can just pinch and zoom in the Mobile App to utilise the 4 x Optical Zoom? when i do, it looks very pixelated. Is that digital zoom?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All, with this camera, am I right in saying I can just pinch and zoom in the Mobile App to utilise the 4 x Optical Zoom? when i do, it looks very pixelated. Is that digital zoom?
that is digital zoom...the varifocal is not used as a zoom, it is intended to be used at the time of setup...

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure I follow. So what is advertised as 4x optical zoom, whats that mean if you cant zoom whilst the camera is running?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure I follow. So what is advertised as 4x optical zoom, whats that mean if you cant zoom whilst the camera is running?
the varifocal can be adjusted while its running but its slow and effectively unusable...it is not intended to be adjusted for live changes as a ptz camera...its used during installation to precisely adjust the field of view...furthermore, when zooming in you generally need to be able to adjust the camera on the vertical plane or else you wont capture anything useful.....

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, so its slow but does allow you to live adjust? If so, how does one do this if using BlueIris or only available via the Web interface of the camera?

I ask because sometimes i watch it live on my dog, when she moves up into my carport I want to optically zoom in. If it takes a minute to do that, its fine.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Id appreicate you telling me how :) then I can judge for myself if its a waste.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ive looked at both. Ive got them infront of me. The buttons appear greyed out, so I was wondering why, can this even zoom, etc hence the post. I assume its the Microscope with + and -