Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

KillMoles

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL, certainly not the way that I planned to introduce myself around here, and I certainly don't mean to distract from this great Dahua camera thread. I was just getting caught up here earlier today because I do have several of these cameras, and I noticed that pic. Dozens of different ways to address it and since the pic seems to have been sitting here for 2 months, I thought I'd address it here. It's not the first time someone has "borrowed" a pic of mine and it won't be the last. I usually just send a friendly note in private, but there are people like this out there, for example, that the ipcamtalk owners should be aware of. $8k in Image Copyright Infringement Penalties: Bloggers, Beware!

Anyhow, carry on. I'm sure some of you have been to my website and as you can see that I'm still learning. Trying to balance what I enjoy, which is more technical stuff like you guys here do, and what can make me the most money, which is the cheap plastic cameras with smartphone apps and cloud storage that all the consumer masses seem to want. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, certainly not the way that I planned to introduce myself around here, and I certainly don't mean to distract from this great Dahua camera thread. I was just getting caught up here earlier today because I do have several of these cameras, and I noticed that pic. Dozens of different ways to address it and since the pic seems to have been sitting here for 2 months, I thought I'd address it here. It's not the first time someone has "borrowed" a pic of mine and it won't be the last. I usually just send a friendly note in private, but there are people like this out there, for example, that the ipcamtalk owners should be aware of. $8k in Image Copyright Infringement Penalties: Bloggers, Beware!

Anyhow, carry on. I'm sure some of you have been to my website and as you can see that I'm still learning. Trying to balance what I enjoy, which is more technical stuff like you guys here do, and what can make me the most money, which is the cheap plastic cameras with smartphone apps and cloud storage that all the consumer masses seem to want. :)
Dont come to this website and threaten litigation. Its repulsive and disgusting. It will not be tolerated. You are banned.
You are done here.....You have a silly "blog" where most of the info posted is gleaned from this website. Except for the part where you praise nest and dont list any shortcomings except for price....you then point your unsuspecting readers to sellers from whom you profit...
This site is built in folks sharing info and photos...not being picky about getting credit...you simply took info from this site and organized it so as to make a profit...
Instead of being happy about the fact that your crap blog has been exposed to 40k plus users you choose to make threats. My members cant use your images then you cant use my site to drum up hits. Go screw yourself.

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you dont want to get a full POE switch.. just get a POE injector if you feel this is the only camera you are going to buy.
https://www.amazon.com/Y-Axis-Injector-Ethernet-802-3af-Security/dp/B01MQ4102S/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508864159&sr=1-7&keywords=poe+injector
I added this to my list of POE switches as injector and I noticed it seems to be 24 V passive PoE. Swimming I have that right I just annotated in red so people are aware.

Let me know if that's incorrect.

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I added this to my list of POE switches as injector and I noticed it seems to be 24 V passive PoE. Swimming I have that right I just annotated in red so people are aware.

Thanks.

Mark

That link says 48v.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks.

Mark

this is def a 48v POE 802.3af. I have used this with many Dahua, Hikvision, and other POE cameras. Works great.. simple, and cheap.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm trying to contact Andy on Aliexpress to buy this 5231R. I am not getting a response. Anyone how to reach him for a quote?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Email him at kingsecurity2014@163.com

Ordered two cameras yesterday....
Excellent, welcome to the party!

BTW - see that you're fairly new posting here so Just in case: It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What does everyone set their 3D NR to? Getting ghosting on my night videos for both my cams. Was set at the default of 50. Just set to 25 and I'm going to test again.

Reaction score
How do I view the camera remotely outside of my network. Also how do I set up push notifications for outside the network.

I have bought iDMSS Plus

Thanks

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is def a 48v POE 802.3af. I have used this with many Dahua, Hikvision, and other POE cameras. Works great.. simple, and cheap.
I don't see why the listing seems wrong to me. Maybe I am just missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Mark

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The link to it said 24w and someone misread it as 24v and thought it was incompatible. NBD.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The link to it said 24w and someone misread it as 24v and thought it was incompatible. NBD.
Well, that was me that thought it was incompatible , based on the listing description stating 48V 24W:

Y-Axis Wall Plug PoE Injector Power Over Ethernet Supply 802.3af 48V 24W 0.5A for Security IP Camera

Why wouldn't this state 12V?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Because POE is 48v. Some cams capable of POE will also have a secondary power dongle which is usually 12v. Higher voltage carries current much better over a distance on small copper wires. If they used 12v over 100m on hair-thin wires it wouldn't run a thing by the time it got to the far end.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Because POE is 48v. Some cams capable of POE will also have a secondary power dongle which is usually 12v. Higher voltage carries current much better over a distance on small copper wires. If they used 12v over 100m on hair-thin wires it wouldn't run a thing by the time it got to the far end.
couldn't have said it better myself... who knew my link would cause that much confusion .. thanks !

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doh! Can't believe I never realized this! I think I assumed that since there were cameras that can be powered with a 12 V power dongle that PoE was 12 V, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

Thanks.

Mark