Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys

This model IPC-HDW5231R-Z start selling from 2016 and it's the most stable dahua model since i sold dahua, appreciated all guys support. I think we sold 4500pcs total in the past 2 years, and failed around 10pcs, wonderful cam. Today get a news from dahua, they will stop this housing from May, So all go to IPC-HDW5231R-ZE in May. For the updating firmware of this model not effected, i will post new FW when it has. I still have some stocks for selling around a month,when you can't find on our shop means this model ends. Feel a little sad, but still have to move on, new technology and new designs~

Andy

slowhand23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ran into a problem trying to upgrade to current firmware from a Jan. 2017 version while logging in to cam thru NVR. Upgrade file just hangs... Transmitting files......please don't leave this page or close the browser.... for over 12 hours now.

Not sure if it will eventually time out or? Any suggestions?

Also posted in firmware thread last night, thought here might be better.

Attachments

Reaction score
You do understand, this is not designed to be using the zoom frequently. It's meant to be set for your field of view, then left alone.
I just ran across this comment, don't really understand what varifocal zoom really is even after googly. Are you saying the zoom on these cams are not meant for frequent use or is there a 'second' zoom on this cam that is meant for set and forget? I was planning to use this cam in an aviary setting which will require frequent PTZ operations. Leave the zoom alone is a deal-breaker for me.

One other question: can these cams be accessible outside my home LAN without the use of an NVR system? I don't need any kind of storage, just live cam, that's all I'm interested in.

I was just about to order a few of these and now I'm questioning my choice again.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The motorized zoom is primarily there to make the initial settings easier however you can use the zoom as much as you want manually. You just cannot set presets however you may still be able to schedule zoom changes via Blue Iris depending on the camera although you don't have much control just zoom in or zoom out and the camera would need to be pointed exactly where you want it when zoomed in since you cannot adjust the pan or tilt.

Reaction score
You can't adjust the PT on this cam? I found the specs below. This is a manual PT cam? I need something that will allow me to control the PTZ offsite. This may not be the cam for me then.

Pan/Tilt/Rotation

Pan/Tilt/Rotation Range

Pan:0˚~360˚; Tilt:0˚~78˚; Rotation:0˚~360˚

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The best remote access option is a VPN connection from your mobile device to your router (ASUS routers and a few others make this pretty easy as long as your ISP gives you a publicly accessible WAN IP [some don't]. This is the only secure way to allow remote access without an NVR or Blue Iris server.

Reaction score
The best remote access option is a VPN connection from your mobile device to your router (ASUS routers and a few others make this pretty easy as long as your ISP gives you a publicly accessible WAN IP [some don't]. This is the only secure way to allow remote access without an NVR or Blue Iris server.
I do recall reading that last time I was here researching this. I do plan on running a Blue Iris server, I just don't have time right now to do it as I'm traveling for work in the next couple weeks. When I get back I'm going to set all that up. I need the cameras first though. Can you answer the questions about the PTZ? Those are manual? That's what I'm gather from your previous post. I was just about to order these and thought I might go have another look at the thread on these again. Glad I did.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless it states the speed of the pan tilt, it is manual. The ipc-hdw5231r-z and ipc-hdw5231r-ze ar both verifocal only meaning the zoom is the only motorized component. There are many outdoor rated Dahua options with PTZ capabilities but most are either dome cameras or the larger more expensive models.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a varifocal camera, not a PTZ camera. It is meant to be set at a specific focal length when installed and, basically, left that way. It is not meant for a lot of zoom operations. The pan and tilt specs are for what the mount can accommodate and are not motor driven or remotely controllable. Terk is right, VPN will allow connection to the camera just as if you are on your own LAN.

A true PTZ with the video capabilities of the 5231R series is significantly more expensive due to the motorized controls. The SD49212T-HN is a basic PTZ equivalent and costs about $300. Models with higher zoom capabilities and auto tracking are more expensive, $350-$650 range.

Check the "Cliff Notes" in the "Wiki" at the top of the page for some more guidance.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can't adjust the PT on this cam? I found the specs below. This is a manual PT cam? I need something that will allow me to control the PTZ offsite. This may not be the cam for me then.

Pan/Tilt/Rotation

Pan/Tilt/Rotation Range

I believe what you are reading is the mounting brackets capablilities. As far as the range the camera and be set using the bracket.

Reaction score
This is a varifocal camera, not a PTZ camera. It is meant to be set at a specific focal length when installed and, basically, left that way. It is not meant for a lot of zoom operations. The pan and tilt specs are for what the mount can accommodate and are not motor driven or remotely controllable. Terk is right, VPN will allow connection to the camera just as if you are on your own LAN.

A true PTZ with the video capabilities of the 5231R series is significantly more expensive due to the motorized controls. The SD49212T-HN is a basic PTZ equivalent and costs about $300. Models with higher zoom capabilities and auto tracking are more expensive, $350-$650 range.

Check the "Cliff Notes" in the "Wiki" at the top of the page for some more guidance.

Thanks for the cam suggestion. I'll have a look at the wiki too. Andy had recommended the SD29204T-GN-W as "good enough" or the IPC-HDW5231R-Z for what I want. This is going in an aviary so no exposure to the elements which is why I believe he went with the first. I guess I didn't mention to him I really need PTZ.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy is a very good source for both recommendations and Dahua cameras. All the praise you see for him is well earned and deserved.

I will say that after looking at the SD29204T-GN-W specs that I don't think it would have the video quality of the 5231R series, especially under low light or actual darkness.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Pan/Tilt/Rotation

Pan/Tilt/Rotation Range

This is a fixed camera, no PT, and not intended for the zoom to be used regularly.
Varifocal lens - Wikipedia

What the specs are saying is that once the base of the cam is fixed in place you have the range of movement to mount the cam in the orientation you need.
Look at the Dahua International site under PTZ.

Reaction score
Look at the Dahua International site under PTZ.
I've been on that site for hours now. I just don't know enough about the technology to make the right decision. I nearly screwed up and bought the camera this thread is about. Major screw-up that would have been.

My original thread here if you have any suggestions on which cam would be a good option.