Dahua Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW8232E-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah if I only needed one or two cams it'd be great. Probably will need 16 to cover entire perimeter and out buildings. Loved the way you staked the distances.
Tough decisions and I mean when it comes to cameras, there are ALWAYS better ones if you are willing to pay more...and more....and more.....

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Fantastic Empiretecandy! What service!
My email address is david.lonsdale47@gmail.com
Firmware too big 30MB, i can' t use email. Have to send to you via some easy way.
You can see the different for the IPC-HFW8232E-ZH(Actually @nayr model is this model H means heating, this good for cold area) IPC-HFW8231E-Z is still the first Generation.

Attachments

neonate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nooooo....it's can't be better than the 5231's! I just started replacing my cameras with them! :)

Actually, great review! While I love the improved image, to be completely honest, there's only 1, maybe two locations that would really benefit from it, so using the 5231's to replace all my remaining cameras (9 left to replace) will still work, (and save me some $). I'm a big fan of 'but look at what you get for just a LITTLE more', but if I'm looking at a total replacement with high quality, dependable camera's so I'm not wondering what's going to fail this week, or looking at a crappy night image, I think the lower cost, but still very respectable image is the fiscally responsible thing to do for now and pick up one or maybe two of the 8232's down the road. :)

Now to wait until Andy returns to order the next batch of replacements. :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Nooooo....it's can't be better than the 5231's! I just started replacing my cameras with them! :)

Actually, great review! While I love the improved image, to be completely honest, there's only 1, maybe two locations that would really benefit from it, so using the 5231's to replace all my remaining cameras (9 left to replace) will still work, (and save me some $). I'm a big fan of 'but look at what you get for just a LITTLE more', but if I'm looking at a total replacement with high quality, dependable camera's so I'm not wondering what's going to fail this week, or looking at a crappy night image, I think the lower cost, but still very respectable image is the fiscally responsible thing to do for now and pick up one or maybe two of the 8232's down the road. :)

Now to wait until Andy returns to order the next batch of replacements. :)
Which cameras are you replacing if you don't mind me asking?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I will probably order at least one of the fancy bullet cameras just to play around with if nothing else, or maybe set up in my best choke point.

neonate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which cameras are you replacing if you don't mind me asking?
a number of Huisun V2 PTZ's, Huisun and some legacy Hikvision bullets and domes. The PTZ have been fun, but the failure rate, and other issues developing with them, I'm just ready to toss them out, and just been waiting for a decent replacement (I did fall victim of going from the V1 to the V2, but I'm done with that line). The Hikvision's have been great little troopers, but now that I can get a much better camera a such a low price point, time to phase those out as well. (I had planned on replacing them with the PTZ when I thought they were a contender).

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Having the camera control the iris w/precession instead of the iris just controlling its self makes this camera amazingly adaptable.. and the IR in this camera is significantly more powerfull than the Eco Starlights.. easily 2-3x brighter as observed from 3rd camera.
Hi Nayr, trying to understand the concept of the "P-Iris". From reading google it is still an auto iris but you can bias it (up or down)with some manual software control?
So if that is true and you have it wide open, will faces be washed out by ir light? Or does it still adjust to compensate?

None of my existing cams have an actual mechanical iris and facial recognition at night sucks. I was hoping a real iris would help.

Thanks for another great review.

hotwire

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It would be nice if Dahua made a model of this camera with a bigger zoom lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Nayr, trying to understand the concept of the "P-Iris". From reading google it is still an auto iris but you can bias it (up or down)with some manual software control?
So if that is true and you have it wide open, will faces be washed out by ir light? Or does it still adjust to compensate?

None of my existing cams have an actual mechanical iris and facial recognition at night sucks. I was hoping a real iris would help.

Thanks for another great review.
All about irises: fixed iris, manual iris, auto iris and P iris

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The P-Iris the Camera's Software has control over, an Auto-Iris.. the Iris operates independently on its own and the camera cant control its aperture directly.

The camera knows what the image is looking like and if something is washed out, or under exposed it can adjust accordingly, with auto-iris the aperture is being adjusted regardless what the image looks like, and regardless if its helping or hurting things.

Heres Axis's marketing on it: http://www.axis.com/files/whitepaper/wp_p-iris_38023_en_1009_hi.pdf

The HFW8231E-Z is an UltraWDR camera and not an UltraStarlight camera, unless your installing these on a moving vehicle I cant imagine why the UltraWDR would be attractive... none of my cameras do I ever come close to running WDR @ full power.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nayr, that back/white sign in the front, is that self made or do you have a link where to buy.
That is nice to have and put in same distance with test to compare.
My friend at a print shop made that for me out of foam poster board, I had to stake it down because it was too windy yesterday.. thats when I said fuckit and grabed the whole pile of wooden stakes

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah damnit; this camera has a big flash (128M) so I was wanting to enable telnet, dump the firmware and see if I could put ffmpeg in the image for Youtube streaming directly.. I was also curious to see what CPU this had in it.

but unfortunately it appears that Dahua has disabled telnet on this camera; I think the only way into the console is via Serial.. bummer.

With all the Surveillance based botnets; im not surprised.. having console access was nice for us hackers; but total shit for overall security.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From your images of your setup, this Ultra Bullet appears to be a fair be larger and more obtrusive than the Bullet (5231). Probably not an issue but it does seem to be a pretty large difference.

When is the resolution/contrast good enough to justify a bump up the number of pixels in the sensor to increase usable ppf at the object (ex IPC-HFW8630E-Z)
??

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@tangent yeah I port scanned it and its not got anything open that I didnt expect... no ssh/telnet

@bug99, only in great lighting conditions.. thats not a starlight camera and the extra PPF wont mean squat if its full of noise.

I think that 6mp would make a fine LPR camera if your not needing huge distances.. or if you have alot of illumination.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
camera bot nets, I've never heard of that one before lol. I tried tinkering around with the linux running on the hikvision cameras, was kinda cool, didn't really have any ideas of anything really cool to try and do though.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
ah damnit; this camera has a big flash (128M) so I was wanting to enable telnet, dump the firmware and see if I could put ffmpeg in the image for Youtube streaming directly.. I was also curious to see what CPU this had in it.

but unfortunately it appears that Dahua has disabled telnet on this camera; I think the only way into the console is via Serial.. bummer.

With all the Surveillance based botnets; im not surprised.. having console access was nice for us hackers; but total shit for overall security.
Looks like if you don't use dyndns and other stuff like that you should be good to go lol. to some degree at least.

How one rent-a-botnet army of cameras, DVRs caused Internet chaos

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a side by side w/a 4MP Chinese Bullet, they are roughly the same size.. except the Chinese is all plastic and the weight difference between them is massive.. You also only get 2 axis adjustment with that crappy China mount, the integrated mount has 3 axis adjustment and is alot more flexible and requires less precision when installing.

IMAG0735.jpg

Live stream going down while I swap these cameras out.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a side by side w/a 4MP Chinese Bullet, they are roughly the same size.. except the Chinese is all plastic and the weight difference between them is massive.. You also only get 2 axis adjustment with that crappy China mount, the integrated mount has 3 axis adjustment and is alot more flexible and requires less precision when installing.

View attachment 13906

Live stream going down while I swap these cameras out.
There is a live stream?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I try to get at least a full day of live stream on youtube so you can go back and look at it durring any time of the day, or find me playing with all the settings and trying various shit out

its in the first post, keep checking the first posts on my reviews.. I update them frequently because the threads grow massive and most dont want to read it all

not much activity in back yard, just dogs shitting and trees swaying.. but when I move it up front there'll be traffic at least

While I am streaming anyone is welcome to request me put the camera at various settings, just open it in youtube and you can chat.

Last edited: