Drop down mount for barrel ip camera

Reaction score
I hope all are safe and healthy. I am installing 10 ip camera's in my house. I just finished phased one, which as was to put a cat6a drop in each room of our house. That was 9 drops and I had about enough of the attic for now. :) My first camera I will install will be on our porch. Now, I live in San Antonio Tx. OMG its freak'n hot Texas. So, I have to be careful how I mount my camera here as this area is fried by the sun, intensely. I will include a picture of my overhang to help better show what I am asking (when it is sun up). Basically, I want to have a drop down rod/mount that peeps below and out of the brick overhand, enough where direct sunlight will not affect it. I will be buying Dahua barrel ip cameras, so that is not in question. The mounts are. So far I have found:

and this one....

I read somewhere about making one out of galvanized pipe and painting it to match, but can't fine any examples. As for the length, I haven't gotten on the ladder yet, but I am guessing 20", give or take. That is why the expandable ones are more appealing to me. I am quite handy at making things, so modifying these would not be a problem.

Thanks and please be safe.

Semper Fi!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is a Dahua barrel ip cameras , provided model number.
I have a dahua camera mounted in direct afternoon sun in Houston Texas for over a year, no problems.

==============================================

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) your first camera should be a good variable focus camera to check camera placement and the correct lens.
3) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them ?

Reaction score
SouthernYankee, thank you for your reply. Yes, I have read the Quick Start and will read it numerous times again (especially about securing my system). I apologize for saying 'barrel' when I meant turret camera. Model, I am not for sure one, as I have purchased one yet....and yes, I am in the plan, plan, and plan again stages of it. But, I still need a drop down mount. With the way my front door faces, I cannot for an instant believe it would survive the direct sunlight during June, July and August (Probably September as well). I have also been reading into the cliff notes and the wiki. This is a gradual build, as I do not have the money to buy $150 camera's. Again though, that is beside the point. Still looking for a drop down mount. Thank you again for your advice.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're going to use turrets I'd suggest buying them through Andy at EmpireTech here on IPCT. He can supply the appropriate box, electrical box, for the specific model you buy. That can be mounted using a simple pipe mount. The pipe, probably 3/4", can be cut to length and threaded for you at your local "big box", Lowes/Home Despot, or at your local plumbing supply. An example of the boxes is the PFA130. Be aware that there are different boxes for each camera style and, sometimes, model.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, I was thinking about the pipe and cutting/threading/painting it. I have some more stuff to chew on now. Thank you.
Regarding Junction boxes for Dahua cameras, the PFA121 for 4 screws and PFA122 for 3 screws appear to have the same base and different tops - that is on my list for considerations for my next install as I can change out the top between them.. ( yes, would need to spend money each time for a new box.. but would not need to remove the previous base once it is installed... )

Otherwise the PFA130E iirc for many turrets...

note some vendors in the USA carry those boxes also, so if they are out of stock from Andy you can try other Dahua OEM vendors.

Reaction score
Just to add, this is what I was looking for...found it on Ebay. Dahua camera base, HK pole. Works great together. Will mount soon, then a pic....

HKvision Pendant Ceiling Mount DS-1662ZJ and Dahua PFA106 Bracket for Camera. I had to sand the inside of the pole mount (remove paint), but they fit great together. Will be mounted to Hardie Plank ceiling.

What I haven't decided on is the left or right side of the porch. 1st world problems are great. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve had cameras out in the Florida sun and hurricanes since 2012 without a problem. It’s a non issue

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve had cameras out in the Florida sun and hurricanes since 2012 without a problem. It’s a non issue
That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask if you are getting rain from the storm.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Naw, I’m by the mouse house (Orlando area) We got some bands but nothing out of the ordinary.

Got a buddy on Perdido Bay and our CEO in Pensacola both have severe damage. Buddy just finished a new fancy dock and he said it’s nowhere to be found.

Reaction score
Here is my final mount. I am very happy with it. Does exactly what I wanted it to do, and to me, is not a eyesore. Wife is happy, so that settles that! :) Thanks for all of your input and help. Hanging light is getting replaced next with a flush mounted one.

Attachments