DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems like Reeves (Mr Dahua) vs Ralph (MR Hikvision).... Obviously you both give a great account of yours cameras, but side by side which one is the best? I almost ordered the Hik, then read Reeves comments, but I need a true side by side comparison to decide. Is this possible?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd do a comparison but I don't have the hik camera as i only have some 2032 cams and I don't think that would be a fair comparison at all.

There will be negligible difference in the day shots and the hik has another 1mp so in theory should give you a bit more digital zoom before pixalation starts to occur .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There will be negligible difference in the day shots and the hik has another 1mp so in theory should give you a bit more digital zoom before pixalation starts to occur .
actually most of the extra pixels are utilized for vertical fov...there is no perceptible image quality improvement.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If that's the case t this moment in time I'd pick the dahua and I m a hikvision fan. It jar seems dahua have leapfrogged them in terms of low light performance at entry level to mid budget prices
Have you directly compared both?

It seems like Reeves (Mr Dahua) vs Ralph (MR Hikvision).... Obviously you both give a great account of yours cameras, but side by side which one is the best? I almost ordered the Hik, then read Reeves comments, but I need a true side by side comparison to decide. Is this possible?
If you wait for another 5 days or so I should have both. I've got the 5231 varifocal 2MP Starlight already, waiting on the Hik 3MP (6mm and 4mm)- they're on the way via DHL. I'm not impressed with the daylight performance of the Starlight- it looks like it doesn't seem to be working at 1920x1080 (I get jagged straight edges and harsh looking pictures.) Checking the NVR and camera webpage they both say it is at 1920x1080. I also use them locked in colour 24/7, so will truly test out the low light capabilities of both.

Last edited:

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I haven't directly compared both as I only have the 2032 hikvision cameras which have a smaller sensor.

If I do compare both the starlight is way ahead in both day and night but again it's not a fair comparison as the 2032 have a smaller sensor the starlight I have is the 25x ptz SD59225U-HNI

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I haven't directly compared both as I only have the 2032 hikvision cameras which have a smaller sensor.

If I do compare both the starlight is way ahead in both day and night but again it's not a fair comparison as the 2032 have a smaller sensor the starlight I have is the 25x ptz SD59225U-HNI

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

If you wait for another 5 days or so I should have both. I've got the 5231 varifocal 2MP Starlight already, waiting on the Hik 3MP (6mm and 4mm)- they're on the way via DHL. I'm not impressed with the daylight performance of the Starlight- it looks lit it doesn't seem to be working at 1920x1080 (I get jagged straight edges and harsh looking pictures.) Checking the NVR and camera webpage they both say it is at 1920x1080. I also use them locked in colour 24/7, so will truly test out the low light capabilities of both.
Nice one Triumph, I've waited this long, so another 5 days is worth it.
When you test them, can you also test in AUTO dawn/dusk switching mode, so that we can see what the picture is like without any external IR illuminators and that they use their own internal IR lights instead?

I must admit, I've always been impressed with the HIK daylight picture, crystal clear at all angles, but my biggest problem is night-time mode, hence the reason for getting the Starlight or the Ultra low Light HIK.... Could you test the 6mm lens HIK, that's the one i'd go for.

Starlight vs ULL Hik, lets rumble, 5 days and counting...

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
5 days is my "guess-timate" on when I might get them. Easter will probably slow things down with public holidays.

I'll most likely compare the 4mm to the Starlight zoomed to roughly the same FOV (due to the location - I've only got one position where I can run two cameras together.) I can do colour and day/night with each using their own inbuilt IR. I can already tell you the varifocal 5231 is useless at wider angles with it's inbuilt IR- the IR appears to be optimised for when it's zoomed in. So a fair portion of each side isn't visible when there's no extra lighting and it's zoomed out. My current model 4MP 2.8mm Hik beats it when both are using their own built in IR in my backyard with no lighting. The good thing about the 5231 (in auto day/ night with IR) is it was auto switching straight to colour when my low power sensor lights were going on. The 4MP Hik doesn't. I've since moved the Starlight to the front yard where it's locked in colour.

The fixed lens Starlight versions are probably better buying than the varifocal if you know you need a wide angle and want to use the built in IR (assuming the IR LEDs are matched better in the wide angle lens models.)

PS: I just checked- DHL tracking is saying delivery Wednesday 19th. :)

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I retried the camera in Day mode when it was dark and here are the pictures.

Mrs leaving drive
192.168.1.202_01_20170415222408338.jpg
Scene just after
192.168.1.202_01_20170415222421841.jpg

Tweaked the sateration a little, maybe a little too much
192.168.1.202_01_20170415222510369.jpg

But back to IR after as our street lights are turned off between 01:00 and 05:00 here.. :(
192.168.1.202_01_20170415222544633.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got my Dahua starlight working so maybe sometime this week I can get a comparison of sorts. Ralph, those pictures are with the 12mm version, correct?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@MrRalphMan, I'd be leaving the IR off. You seem to get vision a lot further across the road and you shouldn't get the blown out faces like in a previous shot you posted.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not impressed with the daylight performance of the Starlight- it looks like it doesn't seem to be working at 1920x1080 (I get jagged straight edges and harsh looking pictures.) Checking the NVR and camera webpage they both say it is at 1920x1080.
Are you constant bit rate or variable? I had similar issues after switching to variable and using the default bit rate that populated in the field. When I upped the bit rate to the max suggested by the WebUI, it cleared up the picture.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll get a still off my NVR showing mine. Where have you got the zoom set to roughly?
That zoom is all the way out on the camera as i only have a tiny front garden/yard so it will be as the specs say for the fully zoomed out lens size

I don't get the jagged lines you talk about.
Try as the poster below says with constant bit rate as that's what I use on the highest biterate

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got it set at variable and the highest bit rate, same with the Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I. I also tried looking on liveview with the Starlight set to the highest on constant and it didn't make any noticeable difference. I've exported captures, but my NVR will only let me do them in 1920x1080 - so the differences aren't as obvious as the Hik's native res has been reduced from 2688 × 1520.

The monitors used to the view the footage would also matter. My NVR has a 4K HDMI output and is hooked up to a 55" 4K TV, so what seems a small difference below is magnified once you take into account the resolution downsizing and viewing both on a large screen.

NOTE: The Hikvision compared below IS NOT a 3MP ULTRA LOW LIGHT DS-2CD2335FWD-I, it's "run of the mill" 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I .

Enlarge both and look at straight line edges eg. the bottom trim on side windows of the silver car, the top of the letter box etc. Look at the lower text on the number plate as well.

I'll post some night shots locked in colour later. Then the Starlight makes a worthwhile difference.

Last edited:

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@MrRalphMan, I'd be leaving the IR off. You seem to get vision a lot further across the road and you shouldn't get the blown out faces like in a previous shot you posted.
I'll have to try and it'll be good while the street lights are on, but they go off for a few hours a night and then it gets dark.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk