DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got it set at variable and the highest bit rate, same with the Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I. I also tried looking on liveview with the Starlight set to the highest on constant and it didn't make any noticeable difference. I've exported captures, but my NVR will only let me do them in 1920x1080 - so the differences aren't as obvious as the Hik's native res has been reduced from 2688 × 1520.

The monitors used to the view the footage would also matter. My NVR has a 4K HDMI output and is hooked up to a 55" 4K TV, so what seems a small difference below is magnified once you take into account the resolution downsizing and viewing both on a large screen.

NOTE: The Hikvision compared below IS NOT a 3MP ULTRA LOW LIGHT DS-2CD2335FWD-I, it's "run of the mill" 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I .

Enlarge both and look at straight line edges eg. the bottom trim on side windows of the silver car, the top of the letter box etc. Look at the lower text on the number plate as well.

I'll post some night shots locked in colour later. Then the Starlight makes a worthwhile difference.
I can see what you mean. On my screen it's negligible though because it's not a 4k monitor only my tv is 4k which I'm not hooked up to.

You sometimes get that when there is too much sharpening going on or too much processing from the monitor.

But having said that I think both images are good. Granted the hik has only exported in 1080p but I don't think that matters much.

As you say the starlight makes quite a noticeable difference in low light.

Those screens @MrRalphMan posted if still not be too happy with from a low light camera.

But having said all of this to me security cameras are all about night time performance.
Both of those cameras would be more than sufficient should something happen during the day as it's a lot easier to identify someone in the bright light of dsy.
It's at night where the cameras earn their crust as that's when things become difficult for cameras

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My initial thoughts were also the sharpening too high, but it doesn't get rid of the jagged edges. The effect is a lot more noticeable when comparing them direct from the NVR- like it's really bad. It put me off buying more 5231's. I like the improvement at night, but don't want to lose that much during the day.

I'll post up some night shot comparisons in a couple of hours. I'll have to also check what the moon is doing as it was very bright last night and will obviously skew the results compared to a night with no moon light.

Don't forget @MrRalphMan has just put the 2CD2335FWD-I up and hasn't played around much with the settings. My 5231 wasn't very impressive in the dark at the initial factory defaults when locked in colour. I've spent a lot of time adjusting mine for best low light performance with no IR.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, some captures from both. The IPC-HDW5231R-Z Starlight immediately looks impressive - which it is. I have however noticed it misses finer details that the poorer performing 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I can show. It's rated at 0.01Lux @ (F1.2, AGC ON) note F2.0 lenses fitted.

There was a car parked out the front and using the digital zooming on the NVR's Liveview I tried to get the number plate details using the IPC-HDW5231R-Z Starlight 2.0MP and couldn't make out any discernible letters/ numbers. I even zoomed in further using the optics (as far as I could without the number plate going off the edge of the frame) and I still couldn't work it out. I tried the 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I and thought I had it, when I went outside to check I had got it right. So in that case, I found it easier to ID a vehicle plate with the lower Lux rated 4MP.

Anyway, pictures below for anyone interested. Both locked in colour @ 20FPS, with the slowest exposure time limited to 1/25th sec, highest quality with high bit rates, H265 on the Dahua, H264 on the Hik, WDR "On" on the Dahua, WDR "Off" on the Hik as it's nothing more than a massive noise generator. Other settings tweaked to give the best low light performance to my eyes. I don't have any affiliation with either brand, nor any supplier. I paid full price for all my gear. :( Once again my NVR will only do 1920x1080 capture exports so the Hik resolution is reduced from it's native 2688x1520.

1/25th still gives quite a bit of motion blur with vehicles

1/25th was also in use on the Starlight by the amount of movement

Varifocal zoomed in on number plate:

I will say at dusk and dawn the Starlight can maintain a faster exposure time for longer, so often vehicles driving past at those times of the day will have less motion blur than the 4MP Hik.

Bring on the 2CD2335FWD-I 3MP Ultra Lowlight :), I'll compare that against the Starlight similar to what I've done above.

PS: I forgot to mention I've got automated visible LED floodlights mounted on the eaves of my house. There are three and they're 10 Watts each. Theres one on each side of the vehicle in the driveway angled pointing at the nose of the car from either side. The third light wouldn't be providing any light in the above shots as it's down the other end of the house front. The saturation on the Hik could also have done with a slight increase in the above captures.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PS: I forgot to mention I've got automated visible LED floodlights mounted on the eaves of my house.
:goodpost:I may have missed it, but in your night captures are the LED lights on?

Thank you for posting your detailed comparisons. I originally started with Hiks and started to change out a couple to the Dahua starlights when they became the next great cam :). Competition is good to have other choices.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, the LED lights are on and there's the one streetlight to the RHS of the screen on the opposite side of the road. The term "Starlight" is a bit of a misnomer as you won't see a thing without some additional light. Except perhaps if there's a full moon.

I prefer leaving them in colour because you can see the colour of someone's clothing, skin etc. Also any car's colour as they go by. The visible light is also a good deterrent to discourage someone from wandering in looking for something worth stealing. The lights are powered off a solar battery system so it's effectively free lighting. They turn on automatically when the solar panel voltage drops off and turn off again at dawn.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't seem to get my Dahua 5231 varifocal 2MP Starlight to play nice with my Hikvision NVR. I installed the IP4 address and the gateway the same as the camera it replaced but it does not work. I am probably missing something. I hooked it up directly to my NVR with maybe 5 feet of cord.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't seem to get my Dahua 5231 varifocal 2MP Starlight to play nice with my Hikvision NVR. I installed the IP4 address and the gateway the same as the camera it replaced but it does not work. I am probably missing something. I hooked it up directly to my NVR with maybe 5 feet of cord.
Have you added it using onvif protocol as that's the only way they will work

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know, I will have to take a look.
It sounds like you haven't.
To get the dahua to show in the hik nvr you need to add it as a onvif camera
Basically remove what you already have.

Go to the add camera section and press the manual add section.
Here you need to select onvif as the protocol and add your ip address and username password.

This should enable it to work

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, you are right. I was checking the onvif on the Dahua camera and it is on. I will do the other tomorrow and hopefully that will do the trick. Thank You

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, you are right. I was checking the onvif on the Dahua camera and it is on. I will do the other tomorrow and hopefully that will do the trick. Thank You
No worries it should work .
The old saying it's only easy when you know how is true

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have the ONVIF ticked on the camera itself - I made that mistake. (I forget what the exact option is called but it's something to do with ONVIF on the Dahua itself- leave it off.)

PS: If you want to access the Dahua's webpage (once it's connected to your NVR) you'll need to plug into a vacant POE port - the NVR remote hosting feature doesn't appear to work with non Hik cameras. (It won't for me anyway, if you can get it work work let me know.)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have the ONVIF ticked on the camera itself - I made that mistake. (I forget what the exact option is called but it's something to do with ONVIF on the Dahua itself- leave it off.)

PS: If you want to access the Dahua's webpage (once it's connected to your NVR) you'll need to plug into a vacant POE port - the NVR remote hosting feature doesn't appear to work with non Hik cameras. (It won't for me anyway, if you can get it work work let me know.)
Hmmm. On the camera software the ONVIF is in the on position. I will give it a try like that and if it still does not work I will turn it off in the camera and see how that works. Quite the learning curve as this is the first none Hikvision cameras I have used out side the Huisun PTZ which are very, very similar to the Hikvision.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Huisun uses hikvision protocol so it's basically plug and play with the nvr

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, I got the Dahua camera to work with my Hikvision NVR. Yes, you do have to turn off ONVIF in the Dahua camera software. I changed to 60hz, color as I have street lights and I also turned off the IR lights going by my experience with the Hikvision camera in that location. Now to go mount it. Thanks to all who helped me get through this with a couple of key points.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I got the Dahua camera to work with my Hikvision NVR. Yes, you do have to turn off ONVIF in the Dahua camera software. I changed to 60hz, color as I have street lights and I also turned off the IR lights going by my experience with the Hikvision camera in that location. Now to go mount it. Thanks to all who helped me get through this with a couple of key points.
I might be wrong but I don't think 50 or 60hz makes any difference

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I might be wrong but I don't think 50 or 60hz makes any difference
You may be right but I was reading the manual for the camera and it did say something about fuzziness or a term like that. That is why I did it. Probably no harm no foul type of deal. I will take a night time picture and compare that to the Hikvision picture I took. That is the main reason for the change out of the camera.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
60Hz for most north American electronics. You will notice it in your monitor, the view might be a bit wavy in 50Hz.

I think European electronics are mostly 50Hz.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
60Hz for most north American electronics. You will notice it in your monitor, the view might be a bit wavy in 50Hz.

I think European electronics are mostly 50Hz.
That's true but I was under the impression that modern tech could handle both and also computer monitors are usually 60hz native

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's true but I was under the impression that modern tech could handle both and also computer monitors are usually 60hz native
Probably.... I have really only noticed the need to switch to 60Hz (if even an option) on cheaper cameras.