FYI - LeChange / Dahua 8x 8MP/4K UHD IP PoE cameras + 16 channel port PoE NVR 2/3TB HDD $899 7/13/18

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by mat200, Jun 22, 2018.

Share This Page

1. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Update: $899.99 on 07/13/2018 thanks to mfish for spotting the price drop
    ( deal expired on Friday 7/20/2018 )

LeChange / Dahua 8x 8MP/4K UHD IP PoE cameras + 16 channel port PoE NVR 2/3TB HDD $989.99 on 6/22/2018 Frys
    Lechange 16 Channel NVR with 8 4K Network Cameras
    Frys#: 9477641 Model: NK168P083

Additional 10% off on one day only 6/22/2018 w/emailed discount code to Fry's email list subscribers

Fry's B&M do not seem to carry this brand in general, so order online

Fry's Electronics |

Thanks to Sam88 for mentioning that Fry's has deals on LeChange a Dahua brand.
    • 4K UHD VideoUp to 8MP Resolution for Preview and Playback ( camera is 8MP/"4K" UHD at15fps, not the cinematic 4K spec. )
    • H.265 codec The latest and most effective codec type
    • Night Visionup to 40m/130ft distance
    • Viewing Angle 88° horizontal field of view
    • Motion Detection Get instant alert while you're on-the-go
    • Weatherproof IP67 Protection
    • Storage HDD Storage(up to 2*8TB)
    • Lechange App Monitoring at any time, anywhere

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. mat200

mat200 Known around here

3. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

The mention of LeChange makes me shiver. ;)

tangent and mat200 like this.
  4. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Indeed, some of the Chinese brand names just make me cringe!

Too bad the kit is bullets and not turret...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  5. ernesto1208

ernesto1208 n3wb

[​IMG]

Hello all ,
    anyone know if this kit would be any good?
    I honestly just need something basic
    and I was reading that this is a dahua rebrand

Fry's Electronics |

They have a coupon so it would only be $197
    1tb hard drive nvr
    and 4 basic 1080p cameras

Thanks ,

6. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Hi Ernesto,

I prefer the IP PoE kits, and LeChange is actually a Dahua brand - owned by Dahua.

I would recommend going with their better IP PoE products as we known them better and I know the cameras are nice solid metal cases ( at least the core parts are - the visor is plastic / vinyl )

[ the cameras in the DVR kit - may or may not be metal cases - you'll need to check the specs ]

7. ernesto1208

ernesto1208 n3wb

thanks for the reply !
    so these cameras are not powered via the nvr over poe ?

8. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Hi Ernesto,

If the kit has DVR listed - it is a coax analog bnc kit.

If the kit has NVR listed - it is typically an IP PoE kit.

ernesto1208 likes this.
  9. ernesto1208

ernesto1208 n3wb

ohhhh! ok makes sense now
    I guess back to the ip camera Cliff Notes I go :facepalm:
    thanks for all your help!
    i'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the dvr kit

Do you know of any entry level nvr kit with 4 cameras by any chance you would recommend ?
    or would ANDY over at EMPIRETECANDY be my best bet?

10. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Hi Ernesto,

Lots of variables to consider. What is your threat issues? Big home? Small home? ... so many things to consider.

What do you want or need to accomplish?

If you're not in a hurry I would take some time to determine that.

Then look at what can help you do that,

Then compromise with your budget and needs and start looking for solutions.

Remember you can start by picking up one good IP PoE Dahua OEM starlight camera from Andy if you need a good outdoor camera.

Or just keep an eye on the various discussions here.

looney2ns likes this.
  11. ernesto1208

ernesto1208 n3wb

Hi Ernesto,

Lots of variables to consider. What is your threat issues? Big home? Small home? ... so many things to consider.

Small 1,500 sq home
    no threats i just want really 4 cameras 1-front porch 1 front of house 2-back of house

What do you want or need to accomplish? Really

I just want to be able to view remotely from an iOs app iphone and store a day or two of footage storage to me is really not biggest concern

If you're not in a hurry I would take some time to determine that.

Then look at what can help you do that,

Then compromise with your budget and needs and start looking for solutions.

Remember you can start by picking up one good IP PoE Dahua OEM starlight camera from Andy if you need a good outdoor camera.

Or just keep an eye on the various discussions here.

Yea I think im going to start off with a 2- starlight cameras from Andy and a NVR4108hs-p-4ks2
    and then just go from there.

Thanks again for all your help!

EMPIRETECANDY likes this.
  12. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Happy to help.

I would add a couple more cameras to cover the front of the house, as thieves like to turn away from cameras and wear hoodies and caps.

See the section
    Camera Captures

13. mat200

mat200 Known around here

14. Q™

Q™ Known around here

NO. MORE. CAMERAS.

mat200 likes this.
  15. mat200

mat200 Known around here

just one more.. tiny wafer thin camera... just one more... :)

16. Q™

Q™ Known around here

must. resist. must.

mat200 likes this.
  17. EMPIRETECANDY

EMPIRETECANDY IPCT Vendor

mat200 and looney2ns like this.
  18. MixManSC

MixManSC Pulling my weight

To me.... the kits appear to be a pro series NVR-5216-4KS2 (or a NVR-5208-4KS2 depending on the kit) with a 3TB hard drive pre-installed combined with IPC-HFW1831E cameras. Very similar to the combo's offered by Lorex. The NVR in the kits from Lorex have the advantage that they have the upgraded front panel with the buttons and a remote control. I've personally cross-flashed two of the Lorex kit NVR's as has another member on here. I'd give very high odds that you can cross-flash the NVR on those two specific Lechange kits to official Dahua firmware no problem. Once cross-flashed then future firmware updates can be done through the web UI just fine.

The cameras however are not nearly as simple to cross-flash unless they will just outright take new firmware using the web interface of the config tool right off the bat. Otherwise it requires physically opening the cameras, locating the TTL serial solder pads on the circuit board, tying wiring in and then still might not be able to. The cameras in the Lorex kit I bought (different model cameras) however have a funky firmware files system partition setup that I simply have been unable to cross-flash, even using the hard method with a serial TTL connection. Also on the Lorex stuff, not everything from Lorex is OEM Dahua (which I really find surprising considering Dahua owns Lorex).

looney2ns and EMPIRETECANDY like this.
  19. EMPIRETECANDY

EMPIRETECANDY IPCT Vendor

Dahua released these 4k cheap models i think the nightlong also can have a good improvement, I can get some samples back at the end of this month.
    https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/allProducts/1/5337

The NVR Fry's link is NVR4108-8P-4KS2 or NVR4116-8P-4KS2, but i think if use all 4K cams, 1HDD still too limited, better to use NVR4216-16P-4KS2 or NVR5216-16P-4KS2E, or just use BI.

cnitty76, mat200 and MixManSC like this.
  20. MixManSC

Ah - good catch Andy! If those NVR's are the "lite" NVR4xxx models they might be getting near their limits with all 4K cameras as you mention and then would also be very limited on some of the more advanced functionality of the pro series NVR5xxx models. On the plus side for those basic cameras, Dahua does indicate they have all metal casings.

mat200 likes this.
  21. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

Just an FYI: Testing the 5mp fisheye cam with BI. When the stream is enabled, 25fps, and 61xx bit rate, it clobbers my I5-6500 BI cpu.
    Normally it runs at a happy 10-15% with 9 cams, add in the 5mp, and it's at 80-95 percent. Point is, the lite model NVR's are anemic I suspect for that load.

mat200 likes this.
  22. mfish123

mfish123 Young grasshopper

I just bought the kit. I'll keep everyone posted with a review once I install and test.

One thing I noticed is that (if the spec sheet on Fry's site is accurate) is accurate is that the CMOS sensor is 1/2.5"

So I don't think the ones in this kit are these since they use a 1/2" CMOS: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/21517

Unfortunatley, this link just took me to the home page: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/allProducts/5237/5257?tab=5267

It is what it is but does anyone know with a high degree of certainty which equivalent Dahau cams are in this kit from Fry's?

mat200 likes this.
  23. MixManSC

It will be hard to tell with 100% certainty until you have the actual hardware on hand. Please do post an update. I'd be curious to see the NVR in more detail. I have posted in a Lorex thread on here regarding the exact steps needed to cross-flash the Lorex NVR to the official Dahua firmware and it works perfect and I'm pretty the same method would work on the one you get as well (possibly with different firmware though).

mat200 likes this.
  24. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Hi,

The NVR from LeChange Fry's deal, appears to be ( from what I can determine from the pictures and spec sheet ) I suspect they are NVR42xx models, not really 100% certain - a lot of this is due to the price point and guessing.

1) NVR4108-8P-4KS2 for the $479.99 deal w/4x 8MP "4K" cameras ( smaller NVR features show only 1 HDD supported )
    2) NVR4208-8P-4KS2 for the $799.99 deal w/8x 8MP "4K" cameras ( can hold 2 HDDs as per features listed )
    3) NVR4216-16P-4KS2 for the $899.99 deal w/8x 8MP "4K" cameras ( can hold 2 HDDs as per features listed )

The cameras appears to be a IPC-HFW4831E-SE
    from what I can tell from the specs. ( not DWDR, but has WDR so looks like the newer model IPC-HFW4831E-SE ) https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14361

Again, this is based on my very limited knowledge and looking at various images and specs from the Dahua International models and the specs included on the Fry's page from LeChange.

Thanks @mfish123 for keeping an eye out on this deal, looking forward to your review.

BTW - I would pick up a couple of Dahua OEM starlights from Andy to augment this kit to cover your most critical night time field of views. ( and I would probably also get a nice IPC-HDW42xx Dahua OEM 2MP starlight mini-dome wedge or the 2 lens version to cover your front door )

Hi Andy,

Consumers / purchasers of security cameras in the USA are very limited in their knowledge and have grand expectations of what security cameras can do.

Many Americans who purchase security cameras are looking to just drop the money and stick up something easy and think they've done a good job.

Cloud dependent security cameras are extremely popular - even though they have MANY technical problems.

I have done what I can to help share better information and knowledge to those considering security cameras and buying them on the forums I am active on.

For business:
    1) I think you should give up on customers who want things too cheap - like those buying zmodo / funlux products.
    2) Go with quality - Apple does well as a company as they have a quality reputation. They do well. Better to be known for quality - you can get good customers.
    3) Consumers will want an affordable kit - however, if too affordable you can not add critical functionality and consumers will complain. Sometimes they have NO IDEA of how to really evaluate a product and complain that they can not read a license plate at night 50M away... just crazy disconnect with reality ( too much Hollywood movies )
    4) Dahua clearly looks to disrupt the distribution channel in the USA with prices like this kit and their LeChange Brand. You will need to put pressure on good wholesale prices from Dahua so you can compete. Same with US brands and vendors, they will also need to put pressure on Dahua and Hikvision to give them good prices to compete.

If you are considering a cheaper kit / cameras - try to get a good enough quality one so your reputation will be for selling good products.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    EMPIRETECANDY likes this.
  25. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Hi @mfish123

I certainly doubt they are the IPC-HFW1831E as that model appears NOT to include IVS features.
    ( besides the CMOS sensor size )

On the Fry's page - the camera is listed as having the following
    IVS: Tripwire, Intrusion, Object Abandoned/Missing
    Advanced Intelligent Functions: Face Detection
    Compression: H.265+/H.265/H.264+/H.264
    Streaming Capability: 3 Streams

Thus appears more like the IPC-HFW4831E-SE model
    https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14361

cnitty76 and MixManSC like this.
  26. MixManSC

I'm still curious on those 16ch NVR's. There is just not enough specs listed to conclusively say 100% if they are 4216 or 5216 models. I'm curious because even though Dahua could realistically use 4216 NVR's for the Lorex branded ones (and they even remove enough features in the custom Lorex firmware to just about make them lite models) they are 5216's (Lorex ones include a 3TB WD Purple drive too so probably a good chance the Lechange ones will be WD Purple too). Will be interested in seeing for sure on that as well as if the NVR and the cameras has generic unbranded firmware or customized firmware. If they come with unbranded firmware the odds are even higher that one would be able to simply load the correct matching Dahua firmware right from the web interface or the config tool. That would be a huge bonus since the newest Dahua firmware has some nice new features like MP4 downloading. Either way - good to have another option for potentially getting US market hardware for cheap.

cnitty76, EMPIRETECANDY and mat200 like this.
  27. Purduephotog

Purduephotog n3wb

In general, unless active measures are taken, security is the last thing people think about when making an off-brand product. Think back to when FLIR released their hackable camera- it wasn't until WAY LATE in the game did they decide to start putting out certificates and signed firmware.

Even then that can be defeated (as was demonstrated).

I wish I had a fry's near me. If anyone wants to send me a camera I'll be glad to rip it apart and binwalk it :)

mat200 likes this.
  28. MixManSC

I agree but I think on "kit" usage and where cameras will only ever be connected directly to an NVR (never exposed directly to any network), then the security of the camera itself (not physical, just in its firmware/software) is really irrelevant. In that scenario it is all about the NVR. That being said, if the OEM is putting on custom firmware which intentionally has features removed that the camera is otherwise capable of, that annoys me. That is a plus on crossflashing the official Dahua firmware on the Lorex branded NVR's since Lorex does remove features from their firmware. I've not had luck on the Lorex cameras though, even using a direct TTL serial connection. They have some funky changes to the flash partitioning which does not match up with the official Dahua firmware that I'm not skilled enough to overcome. I've tried some of the partition and even erase commands but at best I can only get it stuck in a reboot loop or brick it forcing a full reload of the original firmware. Luckily I have not managed to erase or corrupt the boot loader u-boot environment. lol

mat200 likes this.
  29. mfish123

mfish123 Young grasshopper

I'm pretty "tecchy" but very limited on time. I'll get myself up to speed as far as VPN for securely accessing the NVR over the internet, closing ports, etc. I do own a modern higher-end ASUS router.

I only plan on using the cameras in conjunction with the NVR. So if I was to mess with firmware it would probably only be the NVR firmware.

Is it safe to assume that if I put the Dahau OEM firmware on the NVR it would still work with the cameras if I leave the proprietary lechange firmware on the cameras?

Is the appeal of flashing dahau OEM firmware to get better security, more frequent updates and possibly more functionality?

mat200 likes this.
  30. MixManSC

Pretty much yes. I know on the Lorex branded ones there was only basic motion detection in the NVR firmware. With the latest Dahua firmware you get everything... Of course the cameras have to support the same features as well. I can go the the people counting setup on the NVR but if I select a camera that does not support that it pops a message up that the camera does not support that function.

Also to add - on the Lorex ones, the only way to crossflash is to use a null-modem serial cable. On these Lechange ones, I guess someone will have to see if the firmware that comes on it is customized or not and if it will just take the Dahua firmware right in the web UI or with the config tool. If not then you would need to follow my instructions in the Lorex thread.

This is to the actual post with the instructions in the Lorex thread. Lorex
    Keep in mind, that MIGHT not be needed on the Lechange NVR's. We will not know until someone gets one and tried loading the Dahua firmware. Also dont worry about trying. If it does not work it will not hurt it (it rejects it and then reboots), just wait for it to reset.

Edit to add - attached is an example. This is on a Lorex branded NVR with the Dahua firmware. It gives pretty much every option possible. This particular camera (IPC-HDBW4231F-AS) DOES support face detection but it does NOT support face recognition. When I click on the face recognition it pops up an error window on the NVR.

nvr1a-1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    cnitty76 and mat200 like this.