FYI - LeChange / Dahua 8x 8MP/4K UHD IP PoE cameras + 16 channel port PoE NVR 2/3TB HDD $899 7/13/18

Yellowtang

n3wb
Reaction score
@mfish123

Thanks!

Definitely play with it a bit and then start a new thread once you've gotten a better idea of how to assess it.

THE major challenge I have had, even knowing that Hollywood has distorted what security cameras can do, is that HOW completely off my expectations from reality were.

My expectations were so seriously off that it has really taken some time to learn from others here and watching actual video captures from youtube and other locations.

So remember that you'll probably need to evaluate the kit differently. Best way would be to have another camera to compare side by side - ideally one you were thinking of getting.

The cameras in the kit were spec'ed as WDR, older model was spec'ed as DWDR - so you should be getting WDR.

Remember - for low light you can augment the kit with some good Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras or if you need better "zoom" some of the IPC-HxW5xxx cameras. ( HDW = turret, HFW = bullet )
@mat200
The NVR kit for the 4 cameras set, does it work with Amcrest, Lorex and Dahua cameras?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200
The NVR kit for the 4 cameras set, does it work with Amcrest, Lorex and Dahua cameras?
Hi Yellow,

Amcrest IP cameras are Dahua OEM - and appears that they do not modify the firmware much, and Amcrest retains the IVS on cameras which included it from Dahua OEM firmware - so yes.

Lorex IP cameras: SOME are Dahua OEM, others are another OEM which we have not yet figured out. The Dahua OEM firmware is modified, Lorex strips IVS functionality - so depends, if Dahua OEM then yes it will work, but not IVS features.

Dahua OEM IP cameras - definitely will work, yes.

Remember, you may need to adjust IP address info, user/password, and port info.

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mfish123

Thanks!

Definitely play with it a bit and then start a new thread once you've gotten a better idea of how to assess it.

THE major challenge I have had, even knowing that Hollywood has distorted what security cameras can do, is that HOW completely off my expectations from reality were.

My expectations were so seriously off that it has really taken some time to learn from others here and watching actual video captures from youtube and other locations.

So remember that you'll probably need to evaluate the kit differently. Best way would be to have another camera to compare side by side - ideally one you were thinking of getting.

The cameras in the kit were spec'ed as WDR, older model was spec'ed as DWDR - so you should be getting WDR.

Remember - for low light you can augment the kit with some good Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras or if you need better "zoom" some of the IPC-HxW5xxx cameras. ( HDW = turret, HFW = bullet )
Glad to share the feedback. You've been extremely helpful too with all your advice.

Compared to what I had before, which wasn't awful, these are definitely a step up.

Wait so you mean the cameras can't see through solid lead, in pitch black darkness, snap a heavily pixelated image and then the genius hacker guy just clicks "image enhance" and types real fast on his keyboard, and then we magically get a crisp 8K HDR image where you can see every pore and hair follicle on their face??? Bummer! LOL :)

It's good I have 16 channels for future expansion. I may add different cameras / replace existing ones cameras down the line.

My front yard has poor lighting - I hooked up one of these ir illuminators last night and it helped. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2LQYW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's mounted next to the camera slightly underneath since they both aim down a bit. I'm going to buy another and mount about 25 ft. away on another part of the front of the house and see what happens. The second one won't be mounted next to the camera but I think will get me better / wider coverage. the one I have mounted now definitely made a noticeable improvement. If 2 don't work that well, then I look into 1 more expensive / powerful one with a wider dispersion mounted next to the camera. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075F7NV56/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RH2663HNZGL

Will try to post some night pics later.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to share the feedback. You've been extremely helpful too with all your advice.

Compared to what I had before, which wasn't awful, these are definitely a step up.

Wait so you mean the cameras can't see through solid lead, in pitch black darkness, snap a heavily pixelated image and then the genius hacker guy just clicks "image enhance" and types real fast on his keyboard, and then we magically get a crisp 8K HDR image where you can see every pore and hair follicle on their face??? Bummer! LOL :)

It's good I have 16 channels for future expansion. I may add different cameras / replace existing ones cameras down the line.

My front yard has poor lighting - I hooked up one of these ir illuminators last night and it helped. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2LQYW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's mounted next to the camera slightly underneath since they both aim down a bit. I'm going to buy another and mount about 25 ft. away on another part of the front of the house and see what happens. The second one won't be mounted next to the camera but I think will get me better / wider coverage. the one I have mounted now definitely made a noticeable improvement. If 2 don't work that well, then I look into 1 more expensive / powerful one with a wider dispersion mounted next to the camera. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075F7NV56/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RH2663HNZGL

Will try to post some night pics later.
Hi @mfish123

happy to share what I have been learning.

iirc we've had some good IR illuminator discussions here.

I would skip the cheaper one and go with the more expensive one of those and try that out.

Also I would add some Dahua OEM 2MP starlights to the mix.

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still learning / tweaking - here are some night B/W shots taken straight from the NVR (figured out how to take manual snap shots). Only one assisted by an ir illuminator is the front yard

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still learning / tweaking - here are some night B/W shots taken straight from the NVR (figured out how to take manual snap shots). Only one assisted by an ir illuminator is the front yard
Remember to test a moving subject - that is normally where issues start to really show.

Sometimes you need to adjust the camera settings to get better night time captures.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mfish123
What's your setup for the NVR like? I am getting tons of notifications.
Thanks
Hi @SuperYellowTang

Also play with the IVS settings - line crossing / tripwire, intrusion detection,.. etc.

As far as I can tell, none of the camera based detection technology is free of issues, so:

Remember to consider using the alarm input/output on the NVR, useful in conjunction with a decent alarm system / sensors.

( you can also augment the kit with a Dahua OEM camera that has alarm in/out )

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @SuperYellowTang

Also play with the IVS settings - line crossing / tripwire, intrusion detection,.. etc.

As far as I can tell, none of the camera based detection technology is free of issues, so:

Remember to consider using the alarm input/output on the NVR, useful in conjunction with a decent alarm system / sensors.

( you can also augment the kit with a Dahua OEM camera that has alarm in/out )
I am definitely needs to learn all the features. I don't even know what is IVS do :)
How do you use with with an alarm system /sensors?
Augment the kit with Dahua camera alarm?

Here are some of the pictures I captured with the phone.
Night mode picture is good. Zoom in pretty with the 4k cam. Not sure why I lost connection once in a while on the mobil.
Screenshot_20180721-095714.png Screenshot_20180721-114534.png Screenshot_20180721-095714.png Screenshot_20180721-114534.png Screenshot_20180721-193649.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am definitely needs to learn all the features. I don't even know what is IVS do :)
How do you use with with an alarm system /sensors?
Augment the kit with Dahua camera alarm?
..]
HI SuperYellowTang,

Nice, you're off to a good start.

I'm still learning also - so I don't have answers on the top of my head for a lot of the new questions on configuration optimization and setting up of alarms w/the system.

Take a picture of the back of the NVR - look for a green "block" which has holes - that is where you put the alarm in/out wires.

Some camera models also have alarm in/out. So for example you can hook up a door sensor to a camera - and when that sensor trips the camera gets a signal and it can then record a clip and email it out. Some really cool stuff can be done when you start to play with it more.

I have not yet done much of this yet - still reading up on it.

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI SuperYellowTang,

Nice, you're off to a good start.

I'm still learning also - so I don't have answers on the top of my head for a lot of the new questions on configuration optimization and setting up of alarms w/the system.

Take a picture of the back of the NVR - look for a green "block" which has holes - that is where you put the alarm in/out wires.

Some camera models also have alarm in/out. So for example you can hook up a door sensor to a camera - and when that sensor trips the camera gets a signal and it can then record a clip and email it out. Some really cool stuff can be done when you start to play with it more.

I have not yet done much of this yet - still reading up on it.
It would be awesome if I can get an alarm hook up to the system. Let me check on the NVR to see if it has that port.
Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200
My NVR don't have that green port. :(
HI SuperYellowTang,

Did you get the 8 port NVR w/4 camera kit?
( mfish got the 16 port w/8 cameras and he has the alarm ports on the back - see the pictures he took )

If you don't have port there - you can get a camera with ports.

Have to look at the camera spec sheet...

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI SuperYellowTang,

Did you get the 8 port NVR w/4 camera kit?
( mfish got the 16 port w/8 cameras and he has the alarm ports on the back - see the pictures he took )

If you don't have port there - you can get a camera with ports.

Have to look at the camera spec sheet...
Mat200,
I got the 8 port NVR w/4 camera kit.
The cameras only have the ethernet plug and the power plug.
There are no other additional cables.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mat200,
I got the 8 port NVR w/4 camera kit.
The cameras only have the ethernet plug and the power plug.
There are no other additional cables.
Hi SuperYellowTang,

The cameras in either kit certainly do not have alarm in/out.

Remember with the PoE ports of the NVR you will not be using the power plug of the camera - I wrapped mine with Silicone Stretch tape to try to keep the water out.

Here's an example of an indoor amcrest camera with alarm in/out ports
https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-1920TVL-Security-Wireless-IP2M-841B/dp/B01FEEKB7I?th=1

This is a wifi camera- but they also have a PoE version.

upload_2018-7-21_22-38-10.png

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi SuperYellowTang,

The cameras in either kit certainly do not have alarm in/out.

Remember with the PoE ports of the NVR you will not be using the power plug of the camera - I wrapped mine with Silicone Stretch tape to try to keep the water out.

Here's an example of an indoor amcrest camera with alarm in/out ports
https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-1920TVL-Security-Wireless-IP2M-841B/dp/B01FEEKB7I?th=1

This is a wifi camera- but they also have a PoE version.

View attachment 31654
Did you get the same kit also?
Thank you for the tip. I wrapped mine with electrical tape. I will get some Silicone tape tomorrow.
How are you putting in cover for the ethernet cable when I can't feed the ethernet cable thru the hole? see picture.
Thanks.
IMG_20180721_230542.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you get the same kit also?
Thank you for the tip. I wrapped mine with electrical tape. I will get some Silicone tape tomorrow.
How are you putting in cover for the ethernet cable when I can't feed the ethernet cable thru the hole? see picture.
Thanks.
View attachment 31655
The cable has to go through that before it's crimped (clear plastic rj45 plug on the end).

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The cable has to go through that before it's crimped (clear plastic rj45 plug on the end).
That is what I thought also. It is useless to me since I am using the cables that come with the system.
Do you know if I can buy something to cover the ethernet port?

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mfish123
What's your setup for the NVR like? I am getting tons of notifications.
Thanks
First I played with just the basic motion-sensing and I got a ton of false alerts too

I'm in the process of switching to just using the IVS tripwire. That is working much better.

I'm mobile now so I forget exactly where in the menu this is but in the menu for recording. You have to turn on recording based on IVS or the NVR won't record. Out of the box it's just set up to continuously record.

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also I was able to successfully set up a openvpn server on my ASUS router and can successfully access the NVR remotely both when I mobile on 4G and that home on Wi-Fi.

I didn't try the lechange app yet. I'm using. Who gdmss Plus and find that it's working really well