FYI - LeChange / Dahua 8x 8MP/4K UHD IP PoE cameras + 16 channel port PoE NVR 2/3TB HDD $899 7/13/18

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is what I thought also. It is useless to me since I am using the cables that come with the system.
Do you know if I can buy something to cover the ethernet port?
you can put dielectric grease in the connector.

Crimping the cable isn't too hard. The cables included in the kits are typically low quality copper clad aluminum (cca) which is prone to problems. Replacing bad cables is a real pain in the ass, I'd much rather run good cables once...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you get the same kit also?
Thank you for the tip. I wrapped mine with electrical tape. I will get some Silicone tape tomorrow.
How are you putting in cover for the ethernet cable when I can't feed the ethernet cable thru the hole? see picture.
Thanks.
View attachment 31655
Hi SuperYellowTang,

Thanks to Tanget who has already replied.

Others following thread:
1) The "glands" can not be put on cables while the RJ45 plug is already on them. Typically many kits may include them preinstalled on the cable - if you use the cable that came with the kit ( normally not recommended as they are typically cheap CCA cable ) be certain you have the gland end on the camera end of the cable.
2) DO NOT trust the glands by themselves to keep the connection water proof. Numerous options here - this is why I like di-electric gel, silicone stretch tape ( used for leaky pipes ) or duct seal, electrical tape, AND a junction box and silicone caulk )
3) I always prefer using quality bulk cable w/solid copper wires.

Can you take a picture of what is "written" / printed on the cable jacket?

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi SuperYellowTang,

Thanks to Tanget who has already replied.

Others following thread:
1) The "glands" can not be put on cables while the RJ45 plug is already on them. Typically many kits may include them preinstalled on the cable - if you use the cable that came with the kit ( normally not recommended as they are typically cheap CCA cable ) be certain you have the gland end on the camera end of the cable.
2) DO NOT trust the glands by themselves to keep the connection water proof. Numerous options here - this is why I like di-electric gel, silicone stretch tape ( used for leaky pipes ) or duct seal, electrical tape, AND a junction box and silicone caulk )
3) I always prefer using quality bulk cable w/solid copper wires.

Can you take a picture of what is "written" / printed on the cable jacket?
@mat200
Attached is the picture of the ethernet cable.
In order to get IVS working, do I need to disable video detection first?
1Capture.PNG MVIMG_20180722_194016.jpg

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First I played with just the basic motion-sensing and I got a ton of false alerts too

I'm in the process of switching to just using the IVS tripwire. That is working much better.

I'm mobile now so I forget exactly where in the menu this is but in the menu for recording. You have to turn on recording based on IVS or the NVR won't record. Out of the box it's just set up to continuously record.
How are you setting up IVS and tripwire? Do you need to disable motion detection first?
How are you able to get gdmss plus to work? It won't detect my nvr or cameras. I am using the LeChange app on my phone. It is ok but limited.

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are you setting up IVS and tripwire? Do you need to disable motion detection first?
How are you able to get gdmss plus to work? It won't detect my nvr or cameras. I am using the LeChange app on my phone. It is ok but limited.
@SuperYellowTang - I believe it lets you have motion and IVS/tripwire setup simultaneously but I would imagine in most instances that would be redundant. I find that IVS tripwire gives way less false alarms than motion. I haven't tried but i believe under IVS, you can't have face detection and any additional IVS features setup simultaneously but I could be wrong there.

For tripwire, basically go that menu in the "events" setting menu and add a rule, then click the pencil to draw the lines. Click once where you want to start your line. After you draw your first line you click once more to draw the next segment of the line (if you want to change the angle). when you're done drawing it double left click to end the line. Then right click and select which direction of line crossing you want to trigger it.

You can set up more than one rule if you can't get the coverage you need in your scene with one continuous line.

When you click the gear you can tell it what to do such as send you an email, take a snapshot, record, etc.

You also have to go to the smart plan menu you and click on IVS to "activate" it. Once you do this when you're viewing your cameras (directly on NVR) you'll see the lines in blue overlayed on your camera feed so you know you set it up.

As far as getting it to record (or at least tag the IVS triggered recordings as such), in the settings menu for storage, for each channel you have to check the orange IVS check box and apply it. I also clicked the gear icon and for period 1 (defaults to a full 24 hours per day), I made sure IVS was checked there too. This will add orange lines under each day.

For gdmss, I think I downloaded the lite version and then it directed me to download the plus version. You can probably just start by downloading the plus version. I just added wired device using ip/domain. Just give it the local LAN ip address given to you nvr by your router. I went ahead and then in both the NVR and router, changed to a static ip address (just used the ip address initially assigned via DHCP). This should enable you to view when on your home network but it won't work when you're out an about on mobile data or another wifi network.

The way I am able to view when not at home is using a VPN. Fortunately I have a VPN server ability in my Asus router firmware and used these instructions: Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router Once that is setup, then when you're not on your home network, you first login to your home network on your mobile device with the open vpn client app and then gdmss will work regardless of where you are in the world and you don't have to change any settings within gdmss.

There are probably other ways to enable off network access but they're probably all less secure and probably also a bit complicated to setup.

Hope this helps.

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are internal pics. Maybe the Dahau gurus can now figure out what NVR this is equivalent too.

The fan in the PSU is loud as hell. I took the fan out of the psu and turned it on and its not as loud. Pretty sure the grates behind the fan add additional wind noise. I'm seriously contemplating cutting those out. I'm also researching replacement fans that may be quieter. And may even look into replacing the PSU out right.

Or I might stick the NVR in a closet. The wires actually come in from the knee wall through the back of the closet so it wouldn't be that hard to relocate it. i do have an AC plug in the closet too. I'll then just need a longer usb wire for the mouse and HDMI cable.

I've also seem some guy unplug the PSU fan and then cut a whole in the top of the NVR and put a bigger 80 mm above it. A bigger fan means it doesn't have to spin as fast and should be quieter.

Still weighing my options....

Attachments

Yellowtang

n3wb
Reaction score
@SuperYellowTang - I believe it lets you have motion and IVS/tripwire setup simultaneously but I would imagine in most instances that would be redundant. I find that IVS tripwire gives way less false alarms than motion. I haven't tried but i believe under IVS, you can't have face detection and any additional IVS features setup simultaneously but I could be wrong there.

For tripwire, basically go that menu in the "events" setting menu and add a rule, then click the pencil to draw the lines. Click once where you want to start your line. After you draw your first line you click once more to draw the next segment of the line (if you want to change the angle). when you're done drawing it double left click to end the line. Then right click and select which direction of line crossing you want to trigger it.

You can set up more than one rule if you can't get the coverage you need in your scene with one continuous line.

When you click the gear you can tell it what to do such as send you an email, take a snapshot, record, etc.

You also have to go to the smart plan menu you and click on IVS to "activate" it. Once you do this when you're viewing your cameras (directly on NVR) you'll see the lines in blue overlayed on your camera feed so you know you set it up.

As far as getting it to record (or at least tag the IVS triggered recordings as such), in the settings menu for storage, for each channel you have to check the orange IVS check box and apply it. I also clicked the gear icon and for period 1 (defaults to a full 24 hours per day), I made sure IVS was checked there too. This will add orange lines under each day.

For gdmss, I think I downloaded the lite version and then it directed me to download the plus version. You can probably just start by downloading the plus version. I just added wired device using ip/domain. Just give it the local LAN ip address given to you nvr by your router. I went ahead and then in both the NVR and router, changed to a static ip address (just used the ip address initially assigned via DHCP). This should enable you to view when on your home network but it won't work when you're out an about on mobile data or another wifi network.

The way I am able to view when not at home is using a VPN. Fortunately I have a VPN server ability in my Asus router firmware and used these instructions: Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router Once that is setup, then when you're not on your home network, you first login to your home network on your mobile device with the open vpn client app and then gdmss will work regardless of where you are in the world and you don't have to change any settings within gdmss.

There are probably other ways to enable off network access but they're probably all less secure and probably also a bit complicated to setup.

Hope this helps.
@mfish123
Thank you for all the tips. I think the Lechange cameras kit is pretty good so far. I just needs to figure out about the notifications.
Over the weekend, I am probably received over 1000 events.
I like the images quality but I was hoping that it is better like those 4k shows on TV and Youtube. :)

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mfish123
Thank you for all the tips. I think the Lechange cameras kit is pretty good so far. I just needs to figure out about the notifications.
Over the weekend, I am probably received over 1000 events.
I like the images quality but I was hoping that it is better like those 4k shows on TV and Youtube. :)
@Yellowtang - You're welcome. You'll get WAY less false alarms with IVR. Depending on your setup I'd setup the tripwire to only go off with an object (person) coming toward your camera (not away) to further cut down on false alarms. See attached. Motion detection will go off from every drop of rain, bug flying in front of the camera, etc. even if you're careful about selecting active zones / sensitivity. Tripwire works very well.

I hear you - not as "good" as a 4k movie but they're probably using $100,000 cameras and the optimal camera for every scene. And then there are hordes of productions teams, cleaning up and color grading each scene and the lighting is controlled and perfected for each scene. I bet if you paused a scene of a wide landscape or city scape you wouldn't be able to make out the fine details in a 4K movie

The other thing is the super wide field of view of surveillance cameras. It's just a very wide scene eating up those pixels. I bet if you put an super narrow angle lens (large optical zoom) on our cameras you could probably read a license plate a 1/4 mile away but then you're field of view would only be about 1 ft. x 1 ft. I have no clue if any of those #'s are close to reality but just trying to illustrate the concept.

I actually stood next to my camera and did some extreme digital zooming with the surveillance camera and my Samsung Galaxy S7 camera (12 mp). On my phone the image was clearer completely zoomed in but the field of view is a lot less on my phone.

Maybe one day if I have some money to burn I'll put 2 4K cameras in each of my locations that have a lens that gives half the field of view. That would really bump up the "resolution" factor.

Or maybe in 2 - 5 years we'll have affordable 8K or maybe even 16K cameras to upgrade to.

Yellowtang

n3wb
Reaction score
@Yellowtang - You're welcome. You'll get WAY less false alarms with IVR. Depending on your setup I'd setup the tripwire to only go off with an object (person) coming toward your camera (not away) to further cut down on false alarms. See attached. Motion detection will go off from every drop of rain, bug flying in front of the camera, etc. even if you're careful about selecting active zones / sensitivity. Tripwire works very well.

I hear you - not as "good" as a 4k movie but they're probably using $100,000 cameras and the optimal camera for every scene. And then there are hordes of productions teams, cleaning up and color grading each scene and the lighting is controlled and perfected for each scene. I bet if you paused a scene of a wide landscape or city scape you wouldn't be able to make out the fine details in a 4K movie

The other thing is the super wide field of view of surveillance cameras. It's just a very wide scene eating up those pixels. I bet if you put an super narrow angle lens (large optical zoom) on our cameras you could probably read a license plate a 1/4 mile away but then you're field of view would only be about 1 ft. x 1 ft. I have no clue if any of those #'s are close to reality but just trying to illustrate the concept.

I actually stood next to my camera and did some extreme digital zooming with the surveillance camera and my Samsung Galaxy S7 camera (12 mp). On my phone the image was clearer completely zoomed in but the field of view is a lot less on my phone.

Maybe one day if I have some money to burn I'll put 2 4K cameras in each of my locations that have a lens that gives half the field of view. That would really bump up the "resolution" factor.

Or maybe in 2 - 5 years we'll have affordable 8K or maybe even 16K cameras to upgrade to.
Thank you. I will have to play with Tripwire because my phone is going off every minute.
When I have enough money, I would like to buy one of the Dahua camera that have the digital lense (varifocal). It looks very interesting that you can zoom in close without loosing any pixels.

cnitty76

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are internal pics. Maybe the Dahau gurus can now figure out what NVR this is equivalent too.

The fan in the PSU is loud as hell. I took the fan out of the psu and turned it on and its not as loud. Pretty sure the grates behind the fan add additional wind noise. I'm seriously contemplating cutting those out. I'm also researching replacement fans that may be quieter. And may even look into replacing the PSU out right.

Or I might stick the NVR in a closet. The wires actually come in from the knee wall through the back of the closet so it wouldn't be that hard to relocate it. i do have an AC plug in the closet too. I'll then just need a longer usb wire for the mouse and HDMI cable.

I've also seem some guy unplug the PSU fan and then cut a whole in the top of the NVR and put a bigger 80 mm above it. A bigger fan means it doesn't have to spin as fast and should be quieter.

Still weighing my options....
Yes I would like to know the OEM match as well.

Last edited:

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. I will have to play with Tripwire because my phone is going off every minute.
When I have enough money, I would like to buy one of the Dahua camera that have the digital lense (varifocal). It looks very interesting that you can zoom in close without loosing any pixels.
You can but if i understand correctly if you zoom in your field of view get's smaller. I think it just helps you tweak your field of view based on the scene your viewing. e.g. if you're capturing an alley way you should make it narrower. or obviously if you were watching something live of interest you could zoom in but how often does that really happen. But if you're reviewing recorded footage it is what it is and you can only digitally zoom in on what was previously captured

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can but if i understand correctly if you zoom in your field of view get's smaller. I think it just helps you tweak your field of view based on the scene your viewing. e.g. if you're capturing an alley way you should make it narrower. or obviously if you were watching something live of interest you could zoom in but how often does that really happen. But if you're reviewing recorded footage it is what it is and you can only digitally zoom in on what was previously captured
Do you do all of your configs on the NVR or via an app? I am using SmartPSS and weblink.
How does your setup snapshop?

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you do all of your configs on the NVR or via an app? I am using SmartPSS and weblink.
How does your setup snapshop?
I did my initial config directly on the NVR but actually I think the weblink is best just for the simple fact that you can use the keyboard instead of clicking on letters. Pretty sure functionality is the same. Smartpss seems to be the best for playback of recorded videos. Seems like viewing live or recorded directly on the NVR the video is a bit "stuttery" (maybe under powered CPU or GPU) and same with the weblink. Recordings playback smoothly in smart pss so i think there is enough processing horsepower to record @ 4K 15 fps. Obviously your PC has to have enough processing power to play it back.

In the IVS menu you can check a box to tell it to send you a snapshot when the IVS is triggered

If you set it up with the LeChange app it will give you push notifications. Gdmss plus has more functionality but not sure if it does push notifications which are better for real time alerts

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mfish123

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did more poking around. If I go to the camera registration page and then click on the web browse icon I can login directly to each individual camera.

There are more settings in there!

I've been having some issues with skipped frames, choppy live video and sometimes snapshots that are "cut off".

Now I can do things like change the iframe interval, enable smart codec (significantly reduced the bit rate) and setup day and night profiles with different image settings (e.g. WDR enabled for day time and WDR disabled at night)!

Also, the settings are more robust - e.g. can change the strength of the 3D NR

Hoping smart codec is doesn't saturate the NVR nearly as much and helps with the skipped frames, choppy video and cut off snap shots.

Seems like this system isn't knee capped and gives us all the advanced Dahau bells and whistles!

I'm slowly adding IR illuminators to improve on the already very good night vision.

cnitty76

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have problems getting some of the cameras to connect? All work when it first installed today but only two will connect now.

SuperYellowTang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did more poking around. If I go to the camera registration page and then click on the web browse icon I can login directly to each individual camera.

There are more settings in there!

I've been having some issues with skipped frames, choppy live video and sometimes snapshots that are "cut off".

Now I can do things like change the iframe interval, enable smart codec (significantly reduced the bit rate) and setup day and night profiles with different image settings (e.g. WDR enabled for day time and WDR disabled at night)!

Also, the settings are more robust - e.g. can change the strength of the 3D NR

Hoping smart codec is doesn't saturate the NVR nearly as much and helps with the skipped frames, choppy video and cut off snap shots.

Seems like this system isn't knee capped and gives us all the advanced Dahau bells and whistles!

I'm slowly adding IR illuminators to improve on the already very good night vision.
@mfish123
Overall, what do you think about the system? is it a keeper?
I am still getting too much notification. I have set up a few tripwires for each camera but still get a lot of notification.