Gas prices

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I always wondered why road infrastructure is funded by petrol taxes. It's vital infrastructure that should be funded like all vital infrastructure; through the general fund. Drop the gasoline taxes altogether.

Some would then complain that people that don't drive are being unfairly taxed for infrastructure, but nobody is an island. They benefit by whoever is doing the driving for them, whether it's people coming over to visit, or people bringing groceries... absolutely everyone depends on infrastructure.

Vehicle registration should collect the fees required to document who owns what, and that's it. So, it should be like $10 to register a vehicle regardless of type.

All this nickel and diming makes no sense at all and is unjustified.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Speaking of car taxes, that is what is going to occur with the electric vehicles in this country. Right now the gasoline tax is a big funder of the road infrastructure in this country. So if the electric vehicles are not buying gasoline they are not paying the gas tax. However the electric vehicles do use the roads, so I see a special tax coming down the road for electric vehicles.
I see a mileage tax coming within the next year or two.

When I buy a vehicle I buy it for the long haul. I am not one who needs to buy a different vehicle every few years. When they do implement a mileage tax, I will never sell another vehicle. I will report what my accountant says I should report. When a vehicle finally does die and the title needs to be turned in, that title will go in the garbage. My vehicles will sit out back, or I will cut them to pieces and scrap one piece at a time so the scrap yard doesn’t need a title where I would have to report the mileage.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see a mileage tax coming within the next year or two.

When I buy a vehicle I buy it for the long haul. I am not one who needs to buy a different vehicle every few years. When they do implement a mileage tax, I will never sell another vehicle. I will report what my accountant says I should report. When a vehicle finally does die and the title needs to be turned in, that title will go in the garbage. My vehicles will sit out back, or I will cut them to pieces and scrap one piece at a time so the scrap yard doesn’t need a title where I would have to report the mileage.
My guess is tax would be collected every year when you register the vehicle, and the odometer read at that time to determine the annual mileage.

As mentioned above, Oregon is experimenting with taxation by mileage with an opt-in system. I think at the moment it carries no risk because if mileage ends up being more expensive, you pay the normal registration fee instead.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My guess is tax would be collected every year when you register the vehicle, and the odometer read at that time to determine the annual mileage.

As mentioned above, Oregon is experimenting with taxation by mileage with an opt-in system. I think at the moment it carries no risk because if mileage ends up being more expensive, you pay the normal registration fee instead.
If you one is “required” to list their milage every year at registration like I’d assume they’d have to do….. I’d have very old low milage vehicles….. Just sayin;).

Hence why they’d never get sold:)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looney not talk Joe a lot before, looks like he can't bear with him now, lol.

This pic i got last week, so will have more red and worse % this week.
Fedex/ups/DHL right now charge 38% extra fuel cost, this is going crazy.

View attachment 132549
I never could stand him, he's been worthless the entire 40 yrs he's been in office.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I pay $112 per tank, it’s ridiculous but still cheaper than paying the for the full cost of an EV up front. I’d rather opt for a hybrid/mild hybrid but they are not popular enough. Won’t be surprised if gas prices exceed $7 by the end of next month.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I hope your absence wasn't from a serious problem Arjun.

Gas here has dropped to $4.55 at the local "cheapie" and $4.60, and higher, at the more main stream stations.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @sebastiantombs Fortunately, it wasn't from a serious problem. I did contract COVID for the first time in two years in early May presumably. I'm forced to buy premium fuel, thus, the added cost draws concern. The $0.18 cent gas tax hardly made a dent in savings. Everything going on around us is definitely a manmade creation sadly :(

I hope your absence wasn't from a serious problem Arjun.

Gas here has dropped to $4.55 at the local "cheapie" and $4.60, and higher, at the more main stream stations.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 132679

imho I believe US intelligence was already connecting the dots back then and knew of Russia's plans to grab all of Ukraine .. ( they already took a solid bite in 2014 )

This is also why I believe Trump Administration worked to broker peace between Israeli and Gulf States .. to allow a pipeline from Gulf to Europe for NatGas ..

It wasn’t the first time Trump warned Germany about energy dependence, making similar comments during a 2018 meeting with German and NATO leaders.

“It’s very sad when Germany makes a massive oil and gas deal with Russia. Where, you’re supposed to be guarding against Russia and Germany goes out and pays billions and billions of dollars a year to Russia,” Trump said. “So we’re supposed to protect you against Russia, but they’re paying billions of dollars to Russia, and I think that’s very inappropriate.”

“Germany is totally controlled by Russia because they will be getting 60-70% of their energy from Russia and a new pipeline, and you tell me if that’s appropriate, and I think it’s not,” Trump continued.

Last edited: