Gas prices

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Took the kids to the water park yesterday. It's a 180 mile round trip, so roughly $30 of gas just to get there and back. But we took the electric car, so it cost a whopping $4.50 minus the 4 hours of free charging at the park, so my out of pocket was just over $2.00. Saved $28 on a single trip.

Man, these electric vehicles just don't make any sense, do they?!?! When will those darn tree huggers stop trying to force us to buy such impractical cars?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Took the kids to the water park yesterday. It's a 180 mile round trip, so roughly $30 of gas just to get there and back. But we took the electric car, so it cost a whopping $4.50 minus the 4 hours of free charging at the park, so my out of pocket was just over $2.00. Saved $28 on a single trip.

Man, these electric vehicles just don't make any sense, do they?!?! When will those darn tree huggers stop trying to force us to buy such impractical cars?
Works as long as the Water Park is willing to subsidize the trip ...

Once electricity costs go up too much and hit the bottom line .. I would expect that to change quickly.
( seen it happen elsewhere .. where stores had free charging and then stopped that game .. )

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

How much did you pay for the overpriced car vs an efficient ice or hybrid? Get a subsidy from poor taxpayers or did the manufacture benefit from that in the past with millions in taxpayer subsidies? How dumb do you think we are to assume that everything is equal until its time to fill up. Its cute when 2% of you drive EV, try 50 and it will be a disaster.
Let them eat cake...
You cant purposely double fuel prices then say hey look how much I save by going electric. Rigging the competition.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Scotty Kilmer said it right...you are paying more upfront for an electric car versus spreading out the cost to own an internal combustion (IC) car. At the end of the day, it is still cheaper to run and own an IC car. Forget the whole subsidized cost. I go with the notion that if you don't have the assets for an electric car, you should not own it to begin with. Remember how the 2008 recession started...it was a wild one.

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Works as long as the Water Park is willing to subsidize the trip ...

Once electricity costs go up too much and hit the bottom line .. I would expect that to change quickly.
( seen it happen elsewhere .. where stores had free charging and then stopped that game .. )
Wait a minute. $2 vs $30 is cool but only possible thanks to being subsidized by the water park, but if I paid the full $4.50, well, I might as well have driven a gasser and paid the $30? C'mon.

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How much did you pay for the overpriced car vs an efficient ice or hybrid? Get a subsidy from poor taxpayers or did the manufacture benefit from that in the past with millions in taxpayer subsidies? How dumb do you think we are to assume that everything is equal until its time to fill up. Its cute when 2% of you drive EV, try 50 and it will be a disaster.
Let them eat cake...
You cant purposely double fuel prices then say hey look how much I save by going electric. Rigging the competition.
I paid a bit under $30,000 for the car, and then got a $7,500 tax cut. It wasn't a subsidy from any tax payers but myself. It was no different from taking any other deduction or tax credit.

So yeah, I got a brand new EV for about $22 grand and it costs 2.5 cents per mile in electricity.

Seems to me that I saved money upfront on the purchase over a similar size/equipped gasser and am saving per mile compared to gas as long as gas is over about $0.80/gallon.

Wanna try any other bogus anti-ev talking points?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I paid a bit under $30,000 for the car, and then got a $7,500 tax cut. It wasn't a subsidy from any tax payers but myself. It was no different from taking any other deduction or tax credit.

So yeah, I got a brand new EV for about $22 grand and it costs 2.5 cents per mile in electricity.

Seems to me that I saved money upfront on the purchase over a similar size/equipped gasser and am saving per mile compared to gas as long as gas is over about $0.80/gallon.

Are we talking about a Chevy Volt here?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Wrong! Everyone's tax burden is now higher because you and thousands like you got a 7500 credit.
If you paid 30k for an EV its a POS leaf/bolt or similar that if it was an ICE with the same feature set would be 18k. Buy a sentra s for 20k and you have 10k to play with.
Stop with the fake facts and outright lies. Also put some real tires on there so you dont have absurd stopping distances and check your insurance rates...

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wrong! Everyone's tax burden is now higher because you and thousands like you got a 7500 credit.
If you paid 30k for an EV its a POS leaf/bolt or similar that if it was an ICE with the same feature set would be 18k. Buy a sentra s for 20k and you have 10k to play with.
Stop with the fake facts and outright lies.
LOL, do you say the same about people who get a tax credit for having kids? I got $7,500 because my federal tax liabilities meet or exceed $7,500. I got MY tax dollars back. You should try it. We love tax cuts, right?

Yep, it's a 2020 Leaf, fully loaded. A comparable car costs between 20-25 depending on options.

Somebody is big mad at EVs. What did they ever do to you?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, do you say the same about people who get a tax credit for having kids? I got $7,500 because my federal tax liabilities meet or exceed $7,500. I got MY tax dollars back. You should try it. We love tax cuts, right?

Yep, it's a 2020 Leaf, fully loaded. A comparable car costs between 20-25 depending on options.

Somebody is big mad at EVs. What did they ever do to you?
Its not a tax cut when it only applies to a specific type of car or purchase. It is a government subsidy to encourage the use of EV due to false climate change rhetoric. Child tax credits are to incentivize having children because its a good thing. Driving an EV does nothing.

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its not a tax cut when it only applies to a specific type of car or purchase. It is a government subsidy to encourage the use of EV due to false climate change rhetoric. Child tax credits are to incentivize having children because its a good thing. Driving an EV does nothing.
So you support some government subsidies, just not one for EVs? LOL, love the double standard. Also, where's your outrage over the government subsidies that go to billion dollar big oil companies?

I wouldn't say driving EVs does nothing. I just showed you that an EV saved me $28 in a single day trip.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you support some government subsidies, just not one for EVs? LOL, love the double standard. Also, where's your outrage over the government subsidies that go to billion dollar big oil companies?

I wouldn't say driving EVs does nothing. I just showed you that an EV saved me $28 in a single day trip.
Subsidies that actually advance a useful purpose. I dont support government waste. It save you nothing because the 28 is assuming the upfront cost and disposal costs are the same, they are not, they are artificially subsidized by myself and others. If the technology was actually something people wanted and saved money as you claim, why do you need a subsidy?

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Subsidies that actually advance a useful purpose. I dont support government waste. It save you nothing because the 28 is assuming the upfront cost and disposal costs are the same, they are not, they are artificially subsidized by myself and others. If the technology was actually something people wanted and saved money as you claim, why do you need a subsidy?
How does subsidizing big oil advance a useful purpose? By keeping gas prices low and saving consumers money? LOL It absolutely saved me $28. Up front costs were equal to or lower than what I would have paid for a comparable gasser. The $7,500 was my tax dollars that I got back. If you have a problem with government giving people money, I've got a long, long list of things that you should complain about before EVs, starting with the child tax credit. If having kids is something people wanted and is good for society, why does the government have to subsidize them? Your logic is flawed...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How does subsidizing big oil advance a useful purpose? By keeping gas prices low and saving consumers money? LOL It absolutely saved me $28. Up front costs were equal to or lower than what I would have paid for a comparable gasser. The $7,500 was my tax dollars that I got back. If you have a problem with government giving people money, I've got a long, long list of things that you should complain about before EVs, starting with the child tax credit. If having kids is something people wanted and is good for society, why does the government have to subsidize them? Your logic is flawed...
I dont agree with big oil subsidies either. The government and EPA should get out of the way and let them drill the shit out of the ground. You paid 10k over a much better driving sentra (the 2020 model is fantastic). The 7500 was everyones money your green democrat head doesnt understand basic econ 101. Society needs children to work and pay taxes (see the big problem in europe) responsible folks (not parasitic illegals) have less children because of the cost. The deduction is intended to help with that. The fact that you dont know this is really odd. Wonder what the argument to go EV will be when the credit ends and fuel is back to 2.50.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll buy one of them electric cars! Someone tell Social Security to increase our checks.
Some of us are on fixed incomes with the newest car only 15 yrs old w/ 200K.

Oil companies get tax breaks just like the other companies. More anti-oil garbage.

Do you remember back in the late 50's early 60's a decision was made to stop production in the US
and burn up all of the rest of the oil in the world. Once done, we would have oil the world dry.

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I dont agree with big oil subsidies either. The government and EPA should get out of the way and let them drill the shit out of the ground. You paid 10k over a much better driving sentra (the 2020 model is fantastic). The 7500 was everyones money your green democrat head doesnt understand basic econ 101. Society needs children to work and pay taxes (see the big problem in europe) responsible folks (not parasitic illegals) have less children because of the cost. The deduction is intended to help with that. The fact that you dont know this is really odd. Wonder what the argument to go EV will be when the credit ends and fuel is back to 2.50.
You may not agree with them, but you benefit from big oil subsidies at the expense of every tax payer, right? I don't know what a Sentra cost in 2020, but google says the highest trim (which my Leaf is) starts at $22,400, so like I said, absolutely no savings in buying a gasser over the EV. The $7,500 was literally MY money. You know how I know that? If my tax liability was only $3,000, then I would have only qualified for a $3,000 EV tax credit. But since I have a tax liability over $7,500, I got MY tax dollars back. If anything, you can say that the national debt is $7,500 higher than it would be if I hadn't gotten that credit, but since when do republicans give AF about the deficit/debt? You just cheered on Trump as the debt rose almost 8 trillion dollars in just 4 years. Stop acting like you care about government subsidies, the debt, or anything else. You're just spouting off 10 year old talking points against EVs. Do better.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The EV fuel cost advantage is very real - right now. Could it go the same way solar is going? After using subsidies to sucker people into rooftop solar, California now wants to penalize them for the injury to the grid infrastructure.

"Right now, solar users pay a monthly fee to SDG&E for special programs and wear and tear on the grid, but this tax is more than that.
The CPUC’s latest solar tax proposal would tax users $300-$600 a year. In fact, the less electricity you use, the more solar tax you would pay."
California Public Utilities Commission propose tax for solar users

And when bragging about the lower fuel cost, it's dishonest to not account for the added EV fees that states are charging for vehicle registration.

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The EV fuel cost advantage is very real - right now. Could it go the same way solar is going? After using subsidies to sucker people into rooftop solar, California now wants to penalize them for the injury to the grid infrastructure.

"Right now, solar users pay a monthly fee to SDG&E for special programs and wear and tear on the grid, but this tax is more than that.
The CPUC’s latest solar tax proposal would tax users $300-$600 a year. In fact, the less electricity you use, the more solar tax you would pay."
California Public Utilities Commission propose tax for solar users

And when bragging about the lower fuel cost, it's dishonest to not account for the added EV fees that states are charging for vehicle registration.
Ahh, yes, the state tax. In Alabama, it's a $250 fee for EVs. At 30,000 miles per year, that brings my per mile cost up from 2.5 cents per mile to 3.33 cents per mile. So yesterday's trip cost $6 total, of which the park paid for $3, and I paid the other $3. Sorry for my erroneous post, it wasn't a 2 dollar trip after all. LOL

At 30,000 miles per year and doing 5,000 mile oil changes at $50 each, a gasser costs an extra $300 on top of the gas it uses, so it looks like the EV tax is still less for me than just one of the extra costs associated with driving a gasser. Thanks for the reminder that gas isn't the only consideration.