General Cost of Installtaion?

NOPels

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone. We are fairly new here but have been reading and lurking for a while. We have been studying the cliff notes but this is very new to us so there is a big learning curve. We know that we will likely need a professional to install our system but will make sure to choose a reputable company that has been around and gets good reviews. We have been referred to one local company in particular that does a lot of work in our area and they talked about IP vs Analog and there is a large difference in price. We don’t want the cheapest by any means but we are budget conscious.
We have a small, single story home on a zero lot line that is about 2000 sq ft. Homes are about 10’ apart with no windows and our yard is fenced. We primarily need to need to monitor our driveway which is short but well lit on street with many other homes. The community is gated with rovering security but bad stuff still happens. We also want to monitor the rear of the home which is another entry point with sliding glass door and possibly 1 interior camera for a very open floor plan that will show a large portion of the interior of the home including the entryway.
We want to be able to view the cameras from an app on our smartphone also.
The company we spoke with does both IP and Analog but their IP systems will be up over $2k installed which is more than we want to spend. We were hoping to stay around half of that for 3 cameras, DVR and install. They do have an analog package but the cameras are about $200 per camera to install so that puts us at about $1300 with install etc. I expect we will shop around but I wanted to see what anyone thought of the package and price. Would it be better to buy our own equipment and then source out an independent installer? Seems like that could be a challenge if we ever needed support, etc. The guy we spoke with said IP cams are great but if you are not super network savvy (and we are not) then power outages, etc. can cause issues. We are in FL so storms are common
Here is one of their packages below. He said this is what they use at their office and we are welcome to log into it and see how it looks.

Infrared HD Security Camera System, 4 1080p Indoor / Outdoor Cameras
The SYSPRO-BL4Q Infrared HD Security Camera System features:
Our Price: $699.99

Thanks in advance for any feedback! We will continue to read and try to learn as best we can. Great info on this site. NOPels

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone. We are fairly new here but have been reading and lurking for a while. We have been studying the cliff notes but this is very new to us so there is a big learning curve. We know that we will likely need a professional to install our system but will make sure to choose a reputable company that has been around and gets good reviews. We have been referred to one local company in particular that does a lot of work in our area and they talked about IP vs Analog and there is a large difference in price. We don’t want the cheapest by any means but we are budget conscious.
We have a small, single story home on a zero lot line that is about 2000 sq ft. Homes are about 10’ apart with no windows and our yard is fenced. We primarily need to need to monitor our driveway which is short but well lit on street with many other homes. The community is gated with rovering security but bad stuff still happens. We also want to monitor the rear of the home which is another entry point with sliding glass door and possibly 1 interior camera for a very open floor plan that will show a large portion of the interior of the home including the entryway.
We want to be able to view the cameras from an app on our smartphone also.
The company we spoke with does both IP and Analog but their IP systems will be up over $2k installed which is more than we want to spend. We were hoping to stay around half of that for 3 cameras, DVR and install. They do have an analog package but the cameras are about $200 per camera to install so that puts us at about $1300 with install etc. I expect we will shop around but I wanted to see what anyone thought of the package and price. Would it be better to buy our own equipment and then source out an independent installer? Seems like that could be a challenge if we ever needed support, etc. The guy we spoke with said IP cams are great but if you are not super network savvy (and we are not) then power outages, etc. can cause issues. We are in FL so storms are common
Here is one of their packages below. He said this is what they use at their office and we are welcome to log into it and see how it looks.

Infrared HD Security Camera System, 4 1080p Indoor / Outdoor Cameras
The SYSPRO-BL4Q Infrared HD Security Camera System features:
Our Price: $699.99

Thanks in advance for any feedback! We will continue to read and try to learn as best we can. Great info on this site. NOPels
Welcome @NOPels

Please take some time to learn more before you jump and buy something.

The topic of "cheap" vs "meets my need" has been covered numerous times.

You're clearly looking right now at "cheap" or "meets budget". This imho is the wrong way to look at the issue.

Start with what you functionally need / want first.

Does the $699.99 include installation?

If not, then that is definitely not a deal.

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's my two cents:

You are probably better off hiring an electrician to run some Cat5e or Cat6 cables to the locations you want the cameras, I'm guessing around $75-100 per line installed (I've never priced it to be honest, but I'm sure it's not much more than this). Have the lines come towards an ideal place you'd like an NVR setup, maybe by your router. Have them put on the RJ45 clips at the end of the lines. Install the cameras yourself (just attach the network cables and mount them), or maybe have the electrician do it for a bit more.

Then buy an IP Camera/NVR bundle kit (probably an 8-channel NVR that comes with at least 4 cameras), I'd shop around but you should be able to find something with decent resolution (4MP or 5MP) for maybe $300-500. Some brands are better and have better support and app features, shop around and read the forums for what's popular (Anything Dahua or Hikvision is pretty much top of the line, there are a couple spin-off brands that use these two as their supplier and they're generally good) .

All in you should be able to have a decent system for around $600-900 this route, and the little bit of effort needed to setup the system yourself is going to get you something much better for a way better price.

The system you linked to looks old and generic, will probably lack much support or ongoing updates, 1080P is pretty much low resolution these days on fixed cameras. It's an old school Coaxial (Coax) based with a DVR, these are inferior to a modern IP (Ethernet) POE based system with an NVR.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with @ip_poe but want to insure the contractor actually knows how to properly terminate RJ-45 connectors using the T-568B spec...if you mention this to any of them and their eyes kind of glaze over, move on.

You might consider this:
  • Go to the Better Business Bureau here.
  • Up at the top, type in to search for "video surveillance system" and type in your city, state.
  • I suggest you deal only with the ones with an A+ rating.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
I agree with @ip_poe
Provide a picture of the front of your house and the back of your house.

It is generally recommended that you use two cameras on the garage, one on each side, no higher than the top of the door.
I recommend multiple cameras on the front door,
I would purchase quality equipment and as @ip_poe said have it installed.

the price of $100 per drop seems about correct for a single story house in Florida.
Use a low power electrician, the same people that do cable tv, alarm systems.
I would only use Dahua or Hikvision cameras and recorders.
---------------------------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Camera Sensor size info Sensor Size Chart Generally bigger is better

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with @ip_poe but want to insure the contractor actually knows how to properly terminate RJ-45 connectors using the T-568B spec...if you mention this to any of them and their eyes kind of glaze over, move on.
This, and what @SouthernYankee said "Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)". It's only a little bit more and a superior cable. If they have no clue what this means or say it doesn't matter, also tell them to move on :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This, and what @SouthernYankee said "Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)". It's only a little bit more and a superior cable. If they have no clue what this means or say it doesn't matter, also tell them to move on :)
Yes, @SouthernYankee is VERY correct.

One can do a great job terminating bad cable or a bad job terminating great cable and down the road you will likely have problems....the bad cable will be the most difficult and expensive to replace. My preference would be a great termination on some great cable!

NOPels

n3wb
Reaction score
  • Here's my two cents:

You are probably better off hiring an electrician to run some Cat5e or Cat6 cables to the locations you want the cameras, I'm guessing around $75-100 per line installed (I've never priced it to be honest, but I'm sure it's not much more than this). Have the lines come towards an ideal place you'd like an NVR setup, maybe by your router. Have them put on the RJ45 clips at the end of the lines. Install the cameras yourself (just attach the network cables and mount them), or maybe have the electrician do it for a bit more.

Then buy an IP Camera/NVR bundle kit (probably an 8-channel NVR that comes with at least 4 cameras), I'd shop around but you should be able to find something with decent resolution (4MP or 5MP) for maybe $300-500. Some brands are better and have better support and app features, shop around and read the forums for what's popular (Anything Dahua or Hikvision is pretty much top of the line, there are a couple spin-off brands that use these two as their supplier and they're generally good) .

All in you should be able to have a decent system for around $600-900 this route, and the little bit of effort needed to setup the system yourself is going to get you something much better for a way better price.

The system you linked to looks old and generic, will probably lack much support or ongoing updates, 1080P is pretty much low resolution these days on fixed cameras. It's an old school Coaxial (Coax) based with a DVR, these are inferior to a modern IP (Ethernet) POE based system with an NVR.
IP Poe,

Thanks for the info!! Everything makes good sense.

I do think having better wiring is worth the cost and I will absolutely do that. I am leery though about buying equipment separately and asking the electrician to hook it up. I am probably not going to be able to install the cameras...just prefer a professional to do it that is familiar with the equipment and can show us how it works etc. Do we HAVE to have a monitor? The room where the Ethernet cables will terminate is not a huge room and I prefer not to put one in there if it is not 100% necessary. I work from home and genuinely not concerned about anything during the day for the most part. Nighttime is the only time anything happens and even then it's rare. Its a gated community with 24 guards roving around. Knucklehead kids getting into trouble, messing with cars, etc. are likely from kids that actually live in the neighborhood. Safety is one of the reasons we bought in this community.

Its a small driveway - 20'x30' ish and we have a short walk way to small caged / screened in front door area. Back yard backs us to a golf course and has 2 sliding glass doors. I think 1 camera for driveway, 1 for front door/walkway, 1 for each rear of home and one interior camera. 5 total.

Couple more questions:

• Can we log into a NVR from our phones to see everything? That is a primary goal for us if we are away from the home, etc.
  • Do we HAVE to have monitor?
  • If we buy cameras separately (off amazon, etc) and there is an issue, do the camera sellers generally support their product?
  • Who would we contact if the system in general has issues? This is one of the main reasons I would prefer to have one company be responsible for support, warranty, setup etc.
  • I think finding a good low voltage guy to run wires should not be a problem but who kind of contractor would be needed to install the cameras, setup the NVR and show us how everything works?

I do get that the goal is to get a better system for less - I am all for that. I am nervous that somehow I tried to piece meal the process and somehow royally screw it up!!! Maybe I am over dramatizing the install and setup of the system...I just know when I venture into areas I am not familiar with DYI-wise I will somehow mess something up. :)

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can we log into a NVR from our phones to see everything? That is a primary goal for us if we are away from the home, etc.
This depends on the manufacturer/supplier of the NVR, in general yes this is usually common feature, however you'll probably want to look for one of the top providers to make sure they have a quality and reliable mobile app.
Do we HAVE to have monitor?
You pretty much don't need one after you setup the NVR, after it's setup you should be able to access the NVR from another computer or mobile device. They usually have HDMI outputs so even a TV can be used during setup.
If we buy cameras separately (off amazon, etc) and there is an issue, do the camera sellers generally support their product?
Again it depends on the product supplier, some are better at supporting their products than others.

Sounds like you really should only buy from the top brands that are more support focused.

There are some generic spin off companies that pop up often and will probably offer little to no support. So you probably want a highly reputable company if you don't plan on doing much troubleshooting yourself.
Who would we contact if the system in general has issues? This is one of the main reasons I would prefer to have one company be responsible for support, warranty, setup etc.
The supplier company, it may not be the seller of the product, basically the "brand" of the camera/system.

Sounds like you'll want a reputable company that has been around for a while and has a good warranty and support. You'll sometimes pay a premium for a well supported system, maybe an extended warranty if you're really concerned. There are a couple companies that use quality systems and have good support, I know Lorex is generally this way, Nelly's Security too. Post a question here on specific brands or issues with a system and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback!
I think finding a good low voltage guy to run wires should not be a problem but who kind of contractor would be needed to install the cameras, setup the NVR and show us how everything works?
At the camera end it's really simple, you literally just attach a network cable and mount it to a surface. If the cable is exposed it should have a protective cap on it (usually comes with the cameras). Any competent electrician should be able to do it properly, it's not much different than mounting a light. But yeah they probably won't stick around and make sure it's perfectly positioned.

At the NVR end it's usually very simple and a few minutes following basic directions. If you're not one to want to read a manual or climb a ladder I'm sure you can find some surveillance company or an enthusiast in your area that would help. Maybe try to find someone on here in your area to help out!

If you're looking for more of a hands-off or white-glove service you may want to go with on of the companies that only do surveillance, but just know you'll likely be paying a lot more and they'll offer their own products at a premium. They may charge for service calls too, or try to get you into a monthly service plan.

On this site you'll find more DIYers and enthusiast who like to be more hands on and generally want quality products for low prices and to do most the work themselves to save money, have an ideal setup, or just for fun.
I do get that the goal is to get a better system for less - I am all for that. I am nervous that somehow I tried to piece meal the process and somehow royally screw it up!!! Maybe I am over dramatizing the install and setup of the system...I just know when I venture into areas I am not familiar with DYI-wise I will somehow mess something up. :)
You'd know best at how technical you are and how much time/effort you'd want to put in. In general most with moderate technical and computer skills can setup an NVR easily. If you struggle with technical things or just don't want to learn or put the effort in you should probably focus more on finding someone local to help you walk through it. But if you get one of the more common brands and systems I'm sure you'll find plenty of answers or assistance around here if you're willing to put some DIY effort in :)

Last edited:

NOPels

n3wb
Reaction score
We had a low voltage company come out and look at everything to give us a quote on running wires...whether it be cat 6 or coax. They charge the same price for either - $150 per line. We are looking at 4 cameras total. They did also send us info on their analog bundle which was 4 Hiikvision 5mp turret cameras and one 1TB 4-channel performance turbohd DVR. They charge $550 for the cameras, dvr and misc connectors (Siamese, Connectors) So it’s still $1,150.00 for what appears to be a less than optimal system. I know the bullet cameras are much better.

Last weekend our community had a rash of car breakins and two car thefts..they think it was all the same group. Many people on our neighborhood website have cameras (albeit mostly WiFi ring/nest) and the perps did not seem to care or even flinch when the bright spotlight came on. Many were wearing hoodies and some had masks. You couldn’t make out much due to concealment.

I‘m still debating about the investment of $1200-$1500 is enough of a deterrent over basic WiFi cams if I can get a signal. The other issue is that I am not sure we will be here more than a couple of years and I hate to move and have to re-invest in a new system again.....criminals suck lol

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I‘m still debating about the investment of $1200-$1500 is enough of a deterrent over basic WiFi cams if I can get a signal. The other issue is that I am not sure we will be here more than a couple of years and I hate to move and have to re-invest in a new system again.....criminals suck lol
Hi @NOPels

If you have an attached garage, it is fairly easy ( DIY ) typically to mount a couple of cameras by the top of the garage door(s).

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We had a low voltage company come out and look at everything to give us a quote on running wires...whether it be cat 6 or coax. They charge the same price for either - $150 per line. We are looking at 4 cameras total. They did also send us info on their analog bundle which was 4 Hiikvision 5mp turret cameras and one 1TB 4-channel performance turbohd DVR. They charge $550 for the cameras, dvr and misc connectors (Siamese, Connectors) So it’s still $1,150.00 for what appears to be a less than optimal system. I know the bullet cameras are much better.

Last weekend our community had a rash of car breakins and two car thefts..they think it was all the same group. Many people on our neighborhood website have cameras (albeit mostly WiFi ring/nest) and the perps did not seem to care or even flinch when the bright spotlight came on. Many were wearing hoodies and some had masks. You couldn’t make out much due to concealment.

Well you can likely recoup a good portion of the cost of the system by bumping up your sell price a bit (assuming you own your residence), selling it as a feature, or you can just not include the system in the sale and remove the equipment before moving. Obviously you'd have to re-wire a new home and you'd take a loss on the wire and installation cost. But a good high-resolution (5MP+, up to 4k/8MP are common) system will be a good long-term investment.

NVR/IP based digital cameras/systems are much more versatile than DVR/Analog, but both are superior to wireless-only. The problem with wireless cameras is that they still need to be powered, so you'd need to run a power line to them anyways or use one of those tacky battery powered wifi cameras (highly NOT recommended). On top of that the playback is always laggy and choppy even with perfect signal.

Yeah you're probably not going to find a great system for a great price sold through any private company that provides other services too, they're all going to sell an inferior system for a huge markup. Do they include camera mounting, DVR setup, service or a warranty on the system after installed? If not, there is far better available for less. For example, I found this Lorex system on Amazon, the cameras are Dahua based from what it looks like (One of the top two OEM manufacturers), includes four 4k/8MP bullet cameras, an 8-channel POE NVR with a 2TB HD for currently only $350.

Obviously it's you're call, but I don't think you'll find many around here praising wireless cameras who've used them for any significant amount of time compared to wired. IMO I think a well-lit area with clearly visible cameras is a good deterrent, and the ability to get notifications and reliable playback on a mobile device immediately when someone is snooping around is invaluable and a great peace of mind. Any good footage is going to help determine the who, what, whys over no footage and provide a chance to help find those involved or when filing an insurance claim etc., and there is a whole thread around here discussing the insignificance of tacky doorbell cameras or ring/nest cams as the only deterrents.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome @NOPels

Please take some time to learn more before you jump and buy something.

The topic of "cheap" vs "meets my need" has been covered numerous times.

You're clearly looking right now at "cheap" or "meets budget". This imho is the wrong way to look at the issue.

Start with what you functionally need / want first.

Does the $699.99 include installation?

If not, then that is definitely not a deal.
Nobody that's installing Security Systems Is going to to that for $700 Installed, unless they like going into the hole. That is one reason I would be hesitant to start doing residential installs. They will be there (depending on the layout of the house) a better part of the Day Installing that system, running wires, mounting cameras and connections and being stopped every 15 Mins by the homeowner with Questions, plus the time a planner has already spent with the homeowner about where to put the cams and all the hardware. Then taking the time to show the homeowner how to use it at home and with the apps on the phone, Then after the Job is done, answering your phone when something does not look good or things are not triggering alerts. That is why they are charging that kind of money to Install a system, If you know little about security systems and need that support, then you will have to pay for it. I have been installing personal Computers and small to medium networks almost 30 years, Residential Installs kept be from going broke in the beginning but at the time, Personal Computers were new and people had no clue and depended on me, I hated to come home at night and see my answering machine blinking with messages, but I was good about and built by business on it.
This all being said, Depending on the gear used, $1500 to $2000 for a Install is not all that bad especially here in Upstate NY. Yea you could find a few trunk slammers that will do it cheaper but do not expect too much support. If you hire a 3rd party to run wires, and something goes bad with your system, you could get caught in the (its the other guys problem) and I have in fact been that situation. If you let the Installer do turn key, they own it period.
Just my two cents and I do not endorse the hardware that was Quoted. :nervous:

NOPels

n3wb
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate all the info!! I am fairly technical ...I’m a project manager for a large PC company but I’m certainly not a tech..more on the management side. I do understand terminology like vpn, IP, DNS and default gateway. I have a genuine concern about support if I piece meal everything...wire separately and buy equipment separately, etc....we bought a new gaming PC recently and I could have probably gotten a faster system with better graphics card if I built it myself but I wanted the support for the whole machine, operating system, etc if needed. I read questionable things about Lorex support and I’m sure I’ll need it at some point.

I don’t mind spending the money for turnkey and if we sell using it as a selling feature...that would be smart and easy to do....but I am struggling to decide if the value is there.....if putting cameras up will actually deter or help catch these knuckleheads...I would prefer something that maybe alerts me if someone is on my property so I can go see what is going on. Struggling to decide and wife is less than supportive due to cost lol. She’s frugal to say the least. This is frustrating

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate all the info!! I am fairly technical ...I’m a project manager for a large PC company but I’m certainly not a tech..more on the management side. I do understand terminology like vpn, IP, DNS and default gateway. I have a genuine concern about support if I piece meal everything...wire separately and buy equipment separately, etc....we bought a new gaming PC recently and I could have probably gotten a faster system with better graphics card if I built it myself but I wanted the support for the whole machine, operating system, etc if needed. I read questionable things about Lorex support and I’m sure I’ll need it at some point.

I don’t mind spending the money for turnkey and if we sell using it as a selling feature...that would be smart and easy to do....but I am struggling to decide if the value is there.....if putting cameras up will actually deter or help catch these knuckleheads...I would prefer something that maybe alerts me if someone is on my property so I can go see what is going on. Struggling to decide and wife is less than supportive due to cost lol. She’s frugal to say the least. This is frustrating
frugal typically != good tech support

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You spent how much in the house? Car? Valuables inside? Gaming system? .....and You want cheap on the survellience system?

You don’t have $200 tennis shoes do you? Tell me you don’t...

You Do have a monitored alarm system right? That’s way more of a priority over cameras....

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
My contractor ran 12 cables for me, 3 of those were outside to the garage and he charged me £500 just for the cabling. No idea how that tallies with US prices but should help to give an idea. Try and get an overall price rather than per run.

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read questionable things about Lorex support and I’m sure I’ll need it at some point.
I suggested because they tend to use some top OEM equipment, for me I don't care about the technical support aspect as much as quality equipment and regular firmware updates, as suggested throughout this thread it's definitely a balance of cost, quality, support, and how much hands on troubleshooting you'd be willing to do should an issue arise.

You realize that with a good system you're able to setup detection and IVS rules right? I have mine setup so that if anyone steps foot on my property I get a notification with a screen capture right away, also a short video is easily accessible to see what triggered the event. To me cameras are superior to any other alarm/detection technology because when those fire falsely you have no idea if the threat is real, it's usually a pet or another welcomed family member or guest setting it off. It does take quite a bit of time to adjust the rules and to dial them in though for your needs so keep that in mind. But if you really want to get into it there's all sorts of ways these days to trigger lights turning on or flashing, alarm or audio warnings going off, things that would actually make just about any criminal think twice and get them really scared that an angry owner or the police are on their way soon. As for suggesting the benefits to the wife... good luck :lmao:

Nobody that's installing Security Systems Is going to to that for $700 Installed, unless they like going into the hole. That is one reason I would be hesitant to start doing residential installs. They will be there (depending on the layout of the house) a better part of the Day Installing that system, running wires, mounting cameras and connections and being stopped every 15 Mins by the homeowner with Questions, plus the time a planner has already spent with the homeowner about where to put the cams and all the hardware. Then taking the time to show the homeowner how to use it at home and with the apps on the phone, Then after the Job is done, answering your phone when something does not look good or things are not triggering alerts. That is why they are charging that kind of money to Install a system, If you know little about security systems and need that support, then you will have to pay for it.
All good points, it's a balance of cost/reward and support level on both ends. Good support is not cheap, and cheap support is usually not good. From the installer/support perspective they'll probably start to get shady and unavailable the more the customer depends on them if they're not getting continuous payments. Both parties definitely need a clear understanding of what is going to be provided and then determine if it's worth the time/money/hassle.