Hello and need help with a parts list please

deradams

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I want to try to do this right the first time. Been reading a lot about folks that start out with a cheap NVR kit from Cosco and almost always upgrade to a PC running Blue Iris (or Milestone?)w/ a couple WD Purple drives, a POE switch, and good Dahua starlight cameras. Can anyone help me out with a more detailed parts list (with links to purchase a huge plus)? My setup would be 6-8 cameras, priority is daylight recording quality and my targets are the yard and fenceline (I'm on a corner) that varies about 40-70 ft. away. Not looking to access outside my home network and don't need all the fancy bells and whistles (e.g. AI face recognition, motion notifications, etc. unless they are easy to setup). I basically just need a simple system that records and that I can check in on the kids when they're are playing outside and we're inside (the yard has a perimeter fence).

Thank you!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I want to try to do this right the first time. Been reading a lot about folks that start out with a cheap NVR kit from Cosco and almost always upgrade to a PC running Blue Iris (or Milestone?)w/ a couple WD Purple drives, a POE switch, and good Dahua starlight cameras. Can anyone help me out with a more detailed parts list (with links to purchase a huge plus)? My setup would be 6-8 cameras, priority is daylight recording quality and my targets are the yard and fenceline (I'm on a corner) that varies about 40-70 ft. away. Not looking to access outside my home network and don't need all the fancy bells and whistles (e.g. AI face recognition, motion notifications, etc. unless they are easy to setup). I basically just need a simple system that records and that I can check in on the kids when they're are playing outside and we're inside (the yard has a perimeter fence).

Thank you!
Welcome @deradams

Start with the cliff notes - should be some info there on parts ( cameras listed there have been superceded by newer versions )
For Blue Iris see the Blue Iris notes.

Best to start with one camera to play around with first to get a feel of what you can do with it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Read, study, Plan before spending money. PLAN.

It is recommended to buy business grade desktops for EBAY as a start. Add a SSD drive (120GB will work) for the Windows 10 operating system and the BI software and database, Add a WD Purple drive for recording video.

-----------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

deradams

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you for your replies! I have a computer on the way, my WD Purple drive just arrived and I'm looking at cameras (already have a couple cheap Amcrest PTZs I'm testing/playing with).

Do you know of an inexpensive fixed optical zoom camera that i can train on my gate from about 100' ft away and leave it constantly viewing it? I don't need variable zoom.

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thank you for your replies! I have a computer on the way, my WD Purple drive just arrived and I'm looking at cameras (already have a couple cheap Amcrest PTZs I'm testing/playing with).

Do you know of an inexpensive fixed optical zoom camera that i can train on my gate from about 100' ft away and leave it constantly viewing it? I don't need variable zoom.

Thanks!
Hi deradams

100 feet away.. that's quite a distance.

a 8MP "4K" camera at 90 degrees give you about 25 feet to the 100 ppf, so you'd need about 22 degrees to have 100 ppf w/a 8MP camera.

For a 2MP camera you'd need about 11 degrees
For a 4MP camera about 16 degrees

See the IPVM calculator to play around a bit.

See if Andy or others have tight lens versions of more affordable cameras. Normally most of us look at getting a varifocal at longer distances.

deradams

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi deradams

100 feet away.. that's quite a distance.

a 8MP "4K" camera at 90 degrees give you about 25 feet to the 100 ppf, so you'd need about 22 degrees to have 100 ppf w/a 8MP camera.

For a 2MP camera you'd need about 11 degrees
For a 4MP camera about 16 degrees

See the IPVM calculator to play around a bit.

See if Andy or others have tight lens versions of more affordable cameras. Normally most of us look at getting a varifocal at longer distances.
Thanks. I may have to go varifocal if nothing exists. At one point I had an OLD Foscam PTZ setup so it was looking through binoculars in my bedroom window to see the gate. Let's just say it was less than ideal, kinda worked though. And maybe it's 80 ft away? But something of that order of magnitude. I'm looking for something sub $100 that has decent MP if that's possible.

Reaction score
Don't chase MP. If you read the cliff notes you will understand why.

There is no decent camera that will give you a good image at 100' (or 80'), especially at night for under $100.

Are you trying to identify someone at the gate 80 feet away? What is it that you are trying to do for that view?

Here is a snapshot of a car that is 85 feet from this PTZ camera mounted in a second story window. It is zoomed in as far as it will go optically. It is dusk right now, so the focus is a little soft. This is a Dahua SD12203T-GN. I bought this from our buddy Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY ) for about $160.

FC.20200508_201122829.jpg

deradams

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm. That 2M with 3x optical is doing pretty good in my opinion. Maybe I can get by with a PTZ with optical zoom. I've seen some in the $100+ range with 4x optical zoom. Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm. That 2M with 3x optical is doing pretty good in my opinion. Maybe I can get by with a PTZ with optical zoom. I've seen some in the $100+ range with 4x optical zoom. Thanks!
Hi @deradams

If you are just focusing on a gate - get a non-PT camera - as you will get more value as you don't need all the gears to move the camera.

I would look for a varifocal 4MP Dahua OEM starlight+ model for your primary consideration and to compare you options with.