Hello from AZ!

eye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and new to security cameras too. I bought a couple of SV3C PTZ cameras and was eventually able to set them up with Blue Iris 4. One is installed and I got the manual PTZ control working, but I can't get the presets to work. I have a message out to SV3C for help.

I had a heck of a time getting the PTZ to work in Blue Iris. The video feed itself worked sooner, by entering the ip address, but for the PTZ controls to work I had to repeatedly search for the camera with the http:// (not rtsp:/, that wouldn't work) address blank before it found them.

I have several cameras awaiting install, among them an Amcrest dome, two Foscam bullets with wi-fi, two Reolink turrets, and I have a POE switch coming. The PC I started running Blue Iris 4 on wasn't built for that purpose (more of an HTPC type idea) so if I keep using that I might need to get a WD Purple drive. I have some SSDs in it so maybe those are okay if I don't run out of space. Still looking into that along with everything else.

A while back I started out with a Nest thermostat which led to a Hello doorbell. Then I messed around with some indoor PTZs and started gathering more parts. I'm finally going to get a home surveillance setup put together, after some years ago rather foolishly buying a used analog DVR and some huge commercial type camera enclosures that I never did anything with.

I'm looking forward to learning.

bam2413

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! You'll find everything you need here.

Reactions: eye

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
----------------------
I trashed my SV3C cameras, they are mostly junk

You have selected a number of cameras that you are going to have problems configuring.

Please Read study plan ... before spending money.
--------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @eye

Remember to check out the cliff notes.

With all due respect. Why are reolink cameras junk? I along with many have had very good experiences with them. Also why am I now seeing Hikivision recommended? I sent those back and bought more reolink cams because based on what I’ve read here and else where stay away from Chinese junk. The Hikivision cams I bought required you to download Chinese software just to change the ip so your router will even recognize them. And even then I still couldn’t get those to work. Even there tech support replied in very bad English which was the final straw that made me send them back. While with the reolink they where plug and play. sure you have to block them from calling home like you do with armcrest (also have and like those) but that’s a lot easier and straightforward then the Hikivision’s were So long as you have a decent router.
Hi @Gixxerhoff750

Q: "Why are reolink cameras junk?"
A: We've covered this numerous times over and over again in the forum. There's a good reason they're so affordable, and it is NOT because Reolink is cutting their profit margin. They're putting in cheaper components, which results in poorer performance, especially in low light conditions. There's also issues with regards to them spamming this and other forums, lying on the forum about compatibility issues, astroturfing forums, stuffing amazon ballot boxes, issues with regards to iframes ....

Q: "Also why am I now seeing Hikivision recommended?"
A: iirc some Hikvision have always been considered a good option here. Hikvision makes a pile of models.. some better than others. The better models are the one's you are typically seeing recommended here as an option.

Q: I sent those back and bought more reolink cams because based on what I’ve read here and else where stay away from Chinese junk.
Reply: WHAT hikvision model are you referring to?
A: Some here consider Reolink Chinese junk.

dammad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and new to security cameras too. I bought a couple of SV3C PTZ cameras and was eventually able to set them up with Blue Iris 4. One is installed and I got the manual PTZ control working, but I can't get the presets to work. I have a message out to SV3C for help.

I had a heck of a time getting the PTZ to work in Blue Iris. The video feed itself worked sooner, by entering the ip address, but for the PTZ controls to work I had to repeatedly search for the camera with the http:// (not rtsp:/, that wouldn't work) address blank before it found them.

I have several cameras awaiting install, among them an Amcrest dome, two Foscam bullets with wi-fi, two Reolink turrets, and I have a POE switch coming. The PC I started running Blue Iris 4 on wasn't built for that purpose (more of an HTPC type idea) so if I keep using that I might need to get a WD Purple drive. I have some SSDs in it so maybe those are okay if I don't run out of space. Still looking into that along with everything else.

A while back I started out with a Nest thermostat which led to a Hello doorbell. Then I messed around with some indoor PTZs and started gathering more parts. I'm finally going to get a home surveillance setup put together, after some years ago rather foolishly buying a used analog DVR and some huge commercial type camera enclosures that I never did anything with.

I'm looking forward to learning.
What PTZ controls did you find that worked with the SV3C PTZ? I'm trying but haven't found one that works. If you could post what worked for you, that'd be great.