Hello guys! Newbie needs advice for IP Camera and PC for BlueIris

Exeon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am sorry if this post has too much question and I have included numbers for each question. I am a bit confused on everything.

I am planning to install 7 cameras (3 4K camera and 4 1080P camera). I need them to perform relatively well (maybe face recognition for the 4K?) in the morning/afternoon and have relatively good night vision for all of them (more than or equal to 100ft). (1) Do you guys have any recommendations?

I currently have a spare Dell system (i5-7400, 12GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 500 GB SSD Samsung EVO 860) and I will add a 6-8TB HDD for the video storage later. (2) If I convert that to run BlueIris and record into the HDD, can I search the web occasionally as well? (3) Does the computer slow down significantly if I leave it on 24/7?

I viewed this website Blue Iris Update Helper and found that 9 cameras for my system will make the CPU runs at 44% all the time. (4) Do I need to buy a dedicated graphic card (GTX 980(ti?) for $80-$90 from EVGA madness Wednesday B-stock) to help the CPU out?

Thank you so much for reading

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-----------------------------
If you want good low light cameras use 2 or 4 MP cameras not 4K. It is the senor size and the lux rating not the MP.

The i5-7400 CPU is a good computer for Blue Iris. Just add a WD purple disk drive for the surveillance video recording. If the correct video driver is loaded there is no slow down over time for a correctly configured system running 24/7. I strongly recommend that the BI computer be standalone, Think of the BI computer as a tool with only one purpose, surveillance video.

In my opinion an additional video card just uses up more electric power and does not provide much video performance. What is the different if the cpu is running at 45% or 55% it is still getting the job done and does not falling behind. If it was at 95-100% then that is a concern. Also there is a lot that can be done to tune BI to reduce CPU and meeting your processing requirements.

For face recondition shoot for 100+PPI use a optical zoom, look at the IPVM Camera Calculator
-----------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I currently have a spare Dell system (i5-7400, 12GB RAM, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 500 GB SSD Samsung EVO 860) ..
Hi Exeon,

In general most members are not adding GPUs to their Blue Iris boxes.

Look at the following section first before dropping more money on PC hardware: