Hi CPU usage after latest update

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I disabled every camera but one. CPU usage dropped down to below 15%. It stays like that for a minute or two then everything drops to 0% (CPU and RAM) then the system crashes.

View attachment 52731
View attachment 52732

Now I can't even get the GUI to open. I'll probably re-install BI again. (I believe my license for BI4 is still good, I may go that route).

The cameras and Blue Iris machine are on their own subnet. 7 of the cameras are Hikvision. Two are Lorex with limited adjustability.

I have my Windows 10 machine set up to record directly to a 1TB M.2 SATA drive. I have that adjusted to record for 5 days or 800Gb then move over to two 4TB WD Purple drives. Everything in on this machine.
There is no issue with bi5. Perform a clean install. Preferably a clean windows install using the ms media creation tool. I also encourage you to get an nvr. You will come running back to blue iris. You will also realize that nvrs have issues as well. Just search the forum and see for yourself. Most blue iris issues are user created. Start with a clean windows install

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't go the NVR route. This issue you are experiencing is rare. Once you figure it out, you'll be happy with your current setup.
I know you're right. BI4 was working great for me. That's why I ditched my NVR in the first place (adamantly, it was a cheapie)

Your first screen capture with 1 camera...I notice the red up arrow, up top (storage icon?). Even with 1 camera recording? hmm....strange?
I do wonder if it's something with the storage. I went ahead and formatted both drives and now my CPU usage is back down to normal with all cameras on (about what it was with HA turned on).

Formatted Drives.jpg

Maybe I'm not understanding the storage setup correctly. How can I have Used space on my F: drive if I just formatted it?

Reaction score
Still having that red icon uptop (Blue Iris status). Mine is always green. Maybe it flashes red when it moves to Stored folder? But your HD were just formatted. Dont think you are suppose to see red icon.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's my storage setup. I've tried the "queue for export" box clicked and not clicked with no noticeable difference.

storage setup.jpg

Reaction score
storage setup looks good. even if over allocated, shouldn't make high CPU or shutdown the program.
Re-install. Something magical is amiss.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Delete the BI database and reboot. I do not think that the storage is causing the problem.

Something is wrong with the install or there is a hardware problem. Do a clean install of windows 10 and BI 5. Do not import the BI settings from BI 4 , manually enter each camera. Test after each camera install.

When in doubt start over.

Reaction score
Storage not a problem, like my wonderful IT computer tech guess suggested :) (this is why I work on phone systems, not computer!).
Did notice you put "new" folder on a different drive than C:
I put both Blue Iris database and "new" folder on C: drive. Stored and alerts goto NAS.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Delete the BI database and reboot. I do not think that the storage is causing the problem.
After doing that, the storage picture looks much better.

deleted database.jpg

Something is wrong with the install or there is a hardware problem. Do a clean install of windows 10 and BI 5. Do not import the BI settings from BI 4 , manually enter each camera. Test after each camera install.

When in doubt start over.
These are pretty much all new cameras from when I was using BI4. I've already done a new install once of BI. Windows is a new build as of a month or so ago. Right now, it's running well with all the free space, which leads me to believe it's a storage problem. I'm being summoned to help with Christmas, so I'm going to take a break from it. Maybe do the re-install later tonight or next week. I'll post back up with the results.

@Holbs @fenderman @SouthernYankee ... Gentlemen, I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your operating system, BI and BI database should be all on your system drive. Typically that is the C: drive.
There is no reason to be moving files around all the time like you are.
All recordings should go to the Non system drives.
Setup your other two drives by splitting your camera load between the two drives. That way you have part of cameras recorded if one drive fails.
Don't use the limit by days option, only be size.

When you transitioned to BI 5, did you do a clean windows install with the MS Media Creation Tool? NOT from a disc that came from the computer manufacturer.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your operating system, BI and BI database should be all on your system drive. Typically that is the C: drive.
There is no reason to be moving files around all the time like you are.
All recordings should go to the Non system drives.
Setup your other two drives by splitting your camera load between the two drives. That way you have part of cameras recorded if one drive fails.
Don't use the limit by days option, only be size.

When you transitioned to BI 5, did you do a clean windows install with the MS Media Creation Tool? NOT from a disc that came from the computer manufacturer.
It was a new build, so new motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard drive and copy of Windows.

It's definitely a storage issue. After re-formatting the drives and having it save to clean drives, it's been running like a top since yesterday. I even upped all my cameras from 15 fps back up to 20 fps. (CPU usage went from 15-16% to 18-19%).

I think I'm going to ditch the M.2 SSD (F Drive) and record straight to the purple drives like you mentioned. I might try out recording 24/7 too instead of just alerts.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It was a new build, so new motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard drive and copy of Windows.

It's definitely a storage issue. After re-formatting the drives and having it save to clean drives, it's been running like a top since yesterday. I even upped all my cameras from 15 fps back up to 20 fps. (CPU usage went from 15-16% to 18-19%).

I think I'm going to ditch the M.2 SSD (F Drive) and record straight to the purple drives like you mentioned. I might try out recording 24/7 too instead of just alerts.
What is your OS installed on, the M.2? That's the best option for the boot drive and BI db.

Reaction score
keep posting your results for other's who may have this same problem in the future.
So you think it was your M.2 SSD F: drive ?

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
keep posting your results for other's who may have this same problem in the future.
So you think it was your M.2 SSD F: drive ?
The drive is fine. Everything worked as advertised after it was cleared. It had something to do with the allocation of space or how I had the storage setup. Once it reached whatever limit I had set, it crapped out.

Right now, I have everything recording to my stored file on a WD Purple and it works fine. I've set it up to delete after it's full, so we'll see how it works after it fills up in a month or so.