Hi

gixerman

n3wb
Reaction score
I wish I would have found this site before these I Purchased 4 E1 Pro, had problems from day one. Android app continually fails live view. Cameras are useless as a remote wifi security solution. Reolink knows these cameras are flawed and will not work. Will only work as same network nanny cam and even then not consistently. We exhaustively tested and tried many solutions for a week, no avail, cameras will never consistently work. IP Camera .com has so many bad reviews and advice to avoid reolink that I wished I went there first before purchasing. I hope I can help others avoid these ... horrible cams, terrible customer support, unfinished flawed product. I hope people stop looking at pretty pics, do your research and you will find out how bad these are.

Yes those are some of my posts. I have been thru hell with these, now I have to even "pay" to return this garbage.

So who actually makes a decent Wifi Cam I can remotely monitor from my phone when away.. I can tell you Reolink canot lol Any info would be great

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I've gathered from reading on the forum for a long time that Reolink are not recommended. That said, wifi is problematic on just about any make of camera, maybe worse on some makes than others. If you have a situation where you can't use poe then wifi might be your only alternative. After my bad experiences with wifi I changed to poe thinking - it's gonna have a cable running to it one way or another, either poe or power. My wifi would go down for minutes or hours at a time, even after I added a wifi access point.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I would have found this site before these I Purchased 4 E1 Pro, had problems from day one. Android app continually fails live view. Cameras are useless as a remote wifi security solution. Reolink knows these cameras are flawed and will not work. Will only work as same network nanny cam and even then not consistently. We exhaustively tested and tried many solutions for a week, no avail, cameras will never consistently work. IP Camera .com has so many bad reviews and advice to avoid reolink that I wished I went there first before purchasing. I hope I can help others avoid these ... horrible cams, terrible customer support, unfinished flawed product. I hope people stop looking at pretty pics, do your research and you will find out how bad these are.

Yes those are some of my posts. I have been thru hell with these, now I have to even "pay" to return this garbage.

So who actually makes a decent Wifi Cam I can remotely monitor from my phone when away.. I can tell you Reolink canot lol Any info would be great
The best solution is to wire it up, cheaper than you think and you have to power the cam anyway. Also, understand that any camera can be made wifi with the use of a cheap wireless bride or powerline adapters. Dont settle for a crapy wifi camera with a poor sensor.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome, go here and start studying: Cliff Notes

gixerman

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah the cameras are nice but the software and android app are ridiculously bad...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
----------------------
Wifi Cameras are Junk. It is simple to block or jam a wifi camera.
---------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess