Hikvision 2532F-IS - not getting any audio through

brian.rtl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@brian.rtl -- your camera itself has a sticker showing firmware greater than 5.2.0 though, right? This seems to be the easiest way to identify if you'll have audio problems or not. Both sticker and firmware must be 5.2.0
Thanks. No sticker on the outside of the camera; is there supposed to be a sticker internally? In any event I would assume that the firmware listed on the embedded Web server would be accurate. It sounds like you're saying only version 5.2.0 works. So that sounds like this model camera usually doesn't work for audio. I'll look for a different model to purchase.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. No sticker on the outside of the camera; is there supposed to be a sticker internally? In any event I would assume that the firmware listed on the embedded Web server would be accurate. It sounds like you're saying only version 5.2.0 works. So that sounds like this model camera usually doesn't work for audio. I'll look for a different model to purchase.
The audio does work..there are just issues with a batch from china/aliexpress....if you buy from US sellers like Nellys, wrightwood, LTS, it should work, but you should confirm with them.

perpetual nomad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No sticker on the outside of the camera
There should've certainly be a Hikvision sticker at the base of the camera around the area where the cord connects with the base (containing serial number, firmware version, etc). It's my observation that the audio issue is only a problem for cameras that leave the factory in Chinese using firmware 5.2.3 and are downgraded to 5.2.0 for sale in the USA. As mentioned above, you may want to try updating to 5.2.5 if you can endure the Chinese menus. Personally I returned every camera I purchased off Amazon until I got one that was 5.2.0 out of the factory, not flashed with an older version (breaking the audio).

brian.rtl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman and perpetual nomad, I'll give the firmware upgrade a try and report back. I've purchased directly from one of the vendors mentioned, with good results. When buying stuff for the office I tend to rely on Amazon and didn't pay attention to who was fulfilling this particular order. I'll switch back to ordering directly from one of the US sellers.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for all the contributions in this thread - I think we finally have an answer! I had been fearing that this was a hardware issue that was not resolvable, however it appears that upgrading to version 5.2.5 does bring back audio! For the record, both of my faulty cameras had version 5.2.3 printed on the sticker, but were actually 5.2.0. Upgrading to 5.2.5 did the trick right away, and I followed guide to add an English version login (because upgrading forces Chinese language only).

However, there are a few outstanding issues:
- Day of the week is displayed in Chinese - minor issue, I think CBXs region changer should be able to fix this?
- For those who use iVMS-4200 on Windows (I do), cameras no longer display ("version mismatch" error); strangely, this does not happen on iVMS for Mac

If anyone has any solutions to these, it would be greatly appreciated!

CBX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for all the contributions in this thread - I think we finally have an answer! I had been fearing that this was a hardware issue that was not resolvable, however it appears that upgrading to version 5.2.5 does bring back audio! For the record, both of my faulty cameras had version 5.2.3 printed on the sticker, but were actually 5.2.0. Upgrading to 5.2.5 did the trick right away, and I followed this guide to add an English version login (because upgrading forces Chinese language only).

However, there are a few outstanding issues:
- Day of the week is displayed in Chinese - minor issue, I think CBXs region changer should be able to fix this?
- For those who use iVMS-4200 on Windows (I do), cameras no longer display ("version mismatch" error); strangely, this does not happen on iVMS for Mac

If anyone has any solutions to these, it would be greatly appreciated!
Hi,

Yes my region change solution would resolve the Chinese language issue, the day of the week issue, and the iVMS error.

Also you probably won't be able to use an International region NVR with Chinese region cameras, which region change would also resolve.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know if upgrading firmware from 5.2.0 to 5.2.5 would make the cam work with third party apps like BI or IP Cam Viewer? I have a 2432F-IW and both developers are stumped as to why the listening feature is not working yet it works when you are connected via browser......

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personnaly I used this model with a third party SW certified Onvif profileS. So it works with Audio correctly since I upgraded the cam to v5.2.5 with region changer (thanks to CBX).
In fact the third party management software and PC NVR I have don't take care if the cam is chineese or European. Works in both cases. (but I prefer to have it in French for settings) :).
As I'm upgrading actually my system going to full IP with 3MP cams, Found the most economic way to get the cams from China + CBX solution for each.

Now, I had an audio issue from begin with the delivered 5.2.0 FW who didn't worked and going to v5.2.5 solved the problem.

My settings :
Audio Encoding G.711ulaw
Audio Input MicIn
Input Volume 76
Noise filter : ON

Last edited by a moderator:

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just tried to update firmware from 5.2.0 to 5.2.5 that fenderman posted above and I keep getting "Upgrade Failed" message? What gives....this camera is really starting to irritate me....

I am starting to think you get what you pay for.....maybe I should have stuck with ACTi.

CBX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use TFTP - it's probably a regional restriction issue.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So does that mean I can't upgrade....sorry I am confused?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Roman,
Did you read this post?
You have a link to a zip file
Maybe it can help

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2413-Can-t-reload-hikvision-firmware-with-tftp
riri7707-

Yes, I just re-read the 10 post thread once again. If I am reading it correctly, you have to download TFTP server software just to upgrade your camera to a different firmware version? I have never had to do that with any other camera so I guess I am confused to say the least. This doesn't seem like the normal "thing" for someone to have to do...normally you would just download the new firmware package and upload to the camera via the webpage and voila? What am I missing with these Hikvision cams?

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Me too I was confused with these cams at the beginning.
Hik made it difficult with somes protection rules according to distribution régions to avoid parallel market introducing regional firmwares related with SN in the cams.
Makes sense somewhere as the pricing are totally different between régions for the same hardware.
$80 for a 3MP cam, somewhere makes no sense and it breaks really the market.
So for example in Europe you will pay it for $250
So if you want to avoid these things : just buy the cam in you region, download the fw in your region and it will work.

Here in the forum people made it cheapest as possible, so buying from China , then you need to play around to upgrade firmware.

But me too, this is the first manufacturer I saw doing like this. Once you know, that's fine....
And we have real specilists in the forums who knows how to do it fine :)
Like an Hobby: never works from first time....
Time consuming...

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
riri7707-

I somewhat understand what your saying about how this "limits" people from buying cheap cams and then upgrading the firmware. In my case I bought a "legitimate" camera from a reputable company (Nelly's) and paid full price so to me I should be able to upload the latest firmware without jumping through a lot of hoops!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Roman - there is nothing to stop you updating firmware via the Web GUI, given the correct firmware file for the particular camera.
The TFTP method is primarily intended as a recovery procedure should the firmware be damaged enough that the Web GUI is not available. Though it does bypass some of the validity checks that the Web GUI update method does.
Many embedded Linux devices, and loads of IP cameras, have that type of low-level recovery capability.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Roman - there is nothing to stop you updating firmware via the Web GUI, given the correct firmware file for the particular camera.
The TFTP method is primarily intended as a recovery procedure should the firmware be damaged enough that the Web GUI is not available. Though it does bypass some of the validity checks that the Web GUI update method does.
Many embedded Linux devices, and loads of IP cameras, have that type of low-level recovery capability.
alastairstevenson-

Thanks for the clarification...now I understand where the TFTP process comes into play. You stated in your post that I can update the firmware via the Web GUI....that is exactly what I tried to do last night with the zip file that fenderman posted in post #23 but it is not working. I continue to get the "Upgrade Failed" error message?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes sir, unzipped and browsed to digicap.dav file.