Hikvision 5.2.5 & 5.2.8 Full English (INC DAYS OF WEEK) mtd Hack

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What was your original firmware?

enir

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I was not able to flash the camera. Tftp shows "Completed file[C:\TFTP\digicap.dav] transmit". I waited a long time. That's why I can not even go to the telnet to restore mtd5 & mtd6 files.
P.S. again sorry for my english :)

p-v-n

n3wb
Reaction score
What was your original firmware?
Which one do you mean?
The camera came with 5.2.0 when I bought it about a year ago. It was probably a patched one.
I attempted to update it to multilingual 5.3.0, which resulted in "404 firmware language mismatch" error in web interface. I then flashed chinese 5.3.0 and all was working except, of course, Web interface was in chinese.
At the time I was doing the language flag hack, I had chinese 5.2.5. I then later attempted to flash chinese 5.3.0, both original and with language flag changed with hiktools05R1. Both attempts resulted in "404 firmware language mismatch" error. At that point I tried flashing unmodified multilingual 5.3.0 and everything worked. Then, the final step, I flashed modded miltilingual 5.3.0 with ash enabled through TFTP.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I thought and have said before, any model before 5.25 original firmware will upgrade to 5.30 and above with the basic mtd hack.
It's 5.25 fix we still need to find.

p-v-n

n3wb
Reaction score
As I thought and have said before, any model before 5.25 original firmware will upgrade to 5.30 and above with the basic mtd hack.
It's 5.25 fix we still need to find.
I might've missed that info. But good to know. Thanks!
I wish I could help more, however all of my cams came with 5.2.0.

pila

n3wb
Reaction score
Is prtHardInfo authoritative? Meaning: if it says my camera is language = 1, any devices checking for it will be satisfied it is 1?

I have 2 cameras from Ch with 5.2.5. Multilingual with day of week in English. Their box says the same: v5.3.0_150513. prtHardInfo says language = 1 for both. mtd5/6 for one camera says 2 and for second says 1.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like the seller has put 'special' firmware on the one where mtdblock5&6 suggest it's a CN camera.
General experience is that the one with hacked firmware will not be treated as a CN model, unless you remove the effects of the hack by updating the firmware to a native version.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to say thanks for all the information and effort put into this modification.

I downloaded both files, mtdblock5 & 6, and proceeded to edit them per instructions on the first post. The mtdblock5 was blank with all FF in the file. So I made the changes only to the mtdblock6 file, copied it back to the camera and rebooted. Everything worked great even after reapplying the 5.2.5 firmware to my DS-2CD3332-I camera.

Thanks everyone,
Chris

rmm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Can you please help me with fixing my camera So I can record on NAS as now this is a problem
camera has CCCH in the serial number even though its all English menus

DS-2CD2132-F-IS
Firmware version 5.2.5 build 141201
Encoding version5.0 build 140714

Your help is greatly appreciated

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you please help me with fixing my camera So I can record on NAS as now this is a problem
What are the details of the problem?
It's a very open-ended question, difficult to answer without much speculation.

rmm

n3wb
Reaction score
as i have mentioned I cannot record as NAS is not recognized and HDD stays unintialized
I can record directly on HDD using local settings, but not via NAS respectively I cannot use features as record motion detection only

pila

n3wb
Reaction score
camera has CCCH in the serial number even though its all English menus
There is no fix and no problem with ccch or ccwr related to saving to NAS. I saw explanation several times, I believe I too wrote in one thread detailed explanation for saving to Asustor NAS.

rmm

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you please explain again or send me a link with the solution?
I'm IT guy - server administration and spend tons of hrs researching, neither WD my drive or share on my PC won't be working with NAS and the camera
Both shares are going uninitialized and i do believe formatting is not happening even it is saying it is complete
So far only the way to record is via share and using the web browser then manually click record - but this is not good enought as I cannot do a motion recording and use all motion features etc.

Also I have bricked one camera which I cannot unbrick via tftp method, you can please send me a 5.2.5 chinese version with menus on english - I tried 5 different threads proposal and my camera is still bricked, I'm missing workable 5.2.5

I have wasted lot's of time I'am willing to put 2 cameras in the garbage and never go back and buy from AliExpress website.

There is no fix and no problem with ccch or ccwr related to saving to NAS. I saw explanation several times, I believe I too wrote in one thread detailed explanation for saving to Asustor NAS.

pila

n3wb
Reaction score
save to nas: Search my posts, they are few. It wil not solve your WD problem, but should enable you to fully understand the issue.

In short: 1. You need a method to limit disk space a camera sees. This needs to be done on the NAS. Or it will act as full disk is availale for the camera and will not work. 2. Then put in samba user and pwd, hit test (General, NAS), 3. and move over STorage, General to format.

As for unbricking, here are some true experts. I never did it. But, I bought all cams from China in last 2 months, and had no problem. Never tried to mess with their fw as I never try to fix what is not broken in a way that bothers me.

rmm

n3wb
Reaction score
what is your recommendation for disk space?
I tried with 990Gb on WD and with 500 GB on local share on my PC - neither of them worked
I can make the disk smaller on my PC, what is your recommendation?
realistically if the camera cannot handle 1/2 TB then there is definitely a problem with it isn't it?

pila

n3wb
Reaction score
Depends on your needs. But, I have them set to 100 gb and 30 gb per camera (ones capturing 25 fps are on 100 gb with over 3 weeks of motion records). Works perfectly on my Asustor NAS. Each camera has separate user and own folder and own limit.

Some people here have stated supposed maximums, but I can not comment on accuracy.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've found that a 200GB volume works ok for NFS shares with 5.2.5 firmware, and a 200GB user quota for CIFS/SMB on larger volumes when the NAS can impose quotas.

rmm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thx for recommendation for the space.
I will try tonight and I will post back. I wanted to use my WD NAS rather than running full PC 24/7 but i can live with that as long I can use the features as motion control etc.
I have seen other brands cheaper than this having FTP option, not just NAS and working perfectly fine.
I live in canada 2 chinese cameras + decent POE + HDD are over 400 bucks altogether and with this kind of limitations and problems I don't know how on earth this camera is rated high.
In Costco you can buy for 400 CAD full system with 1 TB HDD and 2 cameras and hassle free returns for 90 days.
I have learned my lesson and I would never recommend to anyone this brand as no worth the money

pila

n3wb
Reaction score
They work well. Given a good NAS which can limit user to desired space, they record perfectly directly to the NAS. I seem to recall people had problems with WD but this is not camera's fault. Likely WD makes lousy NAS. You can put MicroSD card into the cams and record to them (but this is not to be expected to be robust solution). They probably can UL to a cloud (not a private and secure solution and UL speed will likely be the problem). I see in the menu cams also have FTP (did not try). I Hope you found my post as I tried to aggregate all info in one post.

Hikvision cameras have nice range of options (see expert motion detection). I have one on the rain for 2 months now, and works well (only, when the Sahara sand hits it with the rain as yesterday, cleaning the lens is in order). Lens is decently sharp and with good contrast. Users with hunderds of them say thy do not break down. I have them for 3 months now (the first two) and I have never noticed they went off-line or hang and misbehave.

No software product is ever perfect. Nor it will be. There are cheaper and more expensive solutions allways. More expensive is not necesserily better, but is usually usefull indicator. The most expensive is never any good.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have learned my lesson and I would never recommend to anyone this brand as no worth the money
In terms of useful and usable features, build quality and reliability, the Hikvision 2-series IP cameras offer very good 'bang for the buck', in my view.
True that the built-in NVR feature where recording direct to a file share on a NAS or other server could be architected better in terms of how it organises the storage - but that's just one feature of many in the design.