Hikvision DS-2CD2122FWD-IS not powering on via PoE

alex.c

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I just received a new camera; this is my first install ever. I'm able to turn on and activate the camera via the DC adapter but am unable to turn it on through PoE. I think I have an idea why it is not turning on but want to confirm that it is not an issue with the PoE hardware on the camera. The back of the camera indicates PoE 802.3af.

I have a Ubiquiti POE-24-12W-G adapter laying around that I am using to test the PoE. I know this adapter works because I plugged it in to a Unifi UAP-AC-LITE (which also is 802.3af) and it fired up the AP. Also when plugged into the AP, the corresponding LED on the switch was green indicating a link. However when plugged into the camera, the LED light was not on. I saw a post on this forum as well as another forum that you could use Ubiquiti's adapters, but I believe it was a POE-48-24W adapter. I've also read that Ubiquiti's adapters are passive and not technically rated 802.3af.

So two questions:
1. Do you think that the camera is not turning on because the PoE hardware is bad or that the adapter is under powered to work with this camera? Why would the AP work even though it is 802.3af?
2. Do you see any reason to not get this injector to power this camera and other 802.3af cameras? Is this considered a quality company?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The ap works because it supports both 802 and the 24 volt.
You can buy a Poe switch for less.
Also reconsider your camera choice. Read The Cliff notes.

alex.c

n3wb
Reaction score
The ap works because it supports both 802 and the 24 volt.
You can buy a Poe switch for less.
Also reconsider your camera choice. Read The Cliff notes.
Thanks for the quick response! I looked at the cliff notes and saw some helpful material there especially related to the poe injectors. Just out of curiosity, what are some of the issues you see with this model? I got it off Amazon for $75 and figured it would be a quality starter camera. As I expand I would spend more on higher quality.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

------------------------
buy a poe switch that supports 802.3at
------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
IPC-HDW5231-ZE
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess