HikVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P - some pics and first impressions

MrDTS

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

it finds no cameras my DS-7608NI-E2/8P the camera is DS-2CD2010F-I ?

ok I solved it by doing a factory reset, no I have image.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
does this mean we have to attach an external 8-port PoE switch ???
Yes, if you are using PoE cameras and don't want to provide local 12v power for the cameras.
But be aware, these cameras would have to be located in the NVR LAN as opposed to the NVR PoE addresses.

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, if you are using PoE cameras and don't want to provide local 12v power for the cameras.
But be aware, these cameras would have to be located in the NVR LAN as opposed to the NVR PoE addresses.
Thanks
Just so I understand you second statement fully is this how the PoE would plug in ....

Cameras plug into PoE. PoE plugs into NVR and NVR plugs into router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, if I wanted the 16ch model, it also comes with "8 independent 100Mbps PoE Ethernet interfaces". Considering that the 16ch can take 16 cameras, but it only has power for 8 cameras, does this mean we have to attach an external 8-port PoE switch ???
What you end up doing with more than 8 cameras may well be a consequence of how your wiring runs are located.
What you could do is as follows:
Connect as many cameras as you wish into the PoE ports on the back of your NVR.
For the remaining cameras that you want also to power using PoE, get a new PoE switch. The more common, cheaper ones have 10/100 ports, and ideally a Gigabit uplink port. Connect the remaining cameras into the PoE ports on the PoE switch.
Now you have a choice of how to combine the NVR (which will have a gigabit LAN port) and the PoE switch (which may have a gigabit uplink port) into your network.
The traffic from the cameras on the PoE ports on the NVR will stay within the NVR (ignoring for the moment any traffic that results from using Live View or Playback via a PC), so you don't have to accommodate it on your normal LAN.

The traffic from the cameras on your new PoE switch will have to get back to the NVR.
In aggregate this will be approximately (number of cameras on the new PoE switch x around 5-8Mbps each). So if you had say 8 cameras, that's about 50Mbps, which is about as far as you should probably take a 10/100 LAN port, but fine for a gigabit uplink port.
Ideally - you'd have a gigabit core switch, into which you'd connect all the high-traffic items such as the NVR LAN port, the new PoE switch gigabit uplink port, your PC, your NAS etc.
In practice, and assuming you don't have a high-end router with gigabit ports that you'd use as the 'gigabit core' you'd just about get away with connecting the NVR LAN port into the new PoE switch, and the new PoE switch uplink port into the router. But if the new PoE switch has a gigabit uplink port, you could usefully connect that to the NVR LAN port instead, and use a spare port on the new PoE switch to connect to the router.
The weak link here would be the NVR LAN port into the PoE switch (if the uplink port is not gigabit), handling the aggregate camera traffic, but that traffic would not affect the router, which generally would only be handling your internet traffic.
Other combinations are possible.
I hope that makes sense.

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey folks,

It's been a while. I have been building a new video editing PC and have been busy at work.

After running the set-up for some weeks now, I have got some comments and observations.

At first, I was not concerned with the 'noisy' power supply unit fan in the machine. I am now. I don't really like t and I am going to swap it out with a quieter fan from my local electronic parts store. I have done some research and found a quieter fan for about $15-.
So now magically, after updating firmware after firmware, I am able to log into each camera individually and into the NVR with one network cable from the NVR to my network.

I have been updating the firmware as it comes out and I am quite pleased with the progress that Hikvision has made. There are however 2 things that I dislike. One is the fact that after every firmware upgrade, I have had to go back into the NVR itself and change settings back to what I had before. I can't simply use the browser interface for it to work 100%. It's always been the email notifications that have been flakey. For some reason, it takes some time for the NVR to send the still images correctly. I am not sure if it has been me playing with settings or that it simply take a while for it to get it right? It's weird. Once it starts working it stays fine until I do another firmware date. LOL It won't send pictures at all, then with I play about with it, pictures get sent, but only half the image appears and after more time and playing it comes good.

So there you have it. I am overall very pleased. For night recording, a separate IR light is required for better image quality. I have done that and it works a treat. The vari-focus dome is frustrating to set-up and focus but I got there in the end.

Chris

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. A couple of questions if I may:
So now magically, after updating firmware after firmware, I am able to log into each camera individually and into the NVR with one network cable from the NVR to my network.
Does this mean that a specific firmware update provided the 'Virtual Host' facility? Or if not, how are you accessing the PoE connected cameras from your normal LAN?

I can't simply use the browser interface for it to work 100%
Are you saying you've been using the TFTP updater rather than the web admin maintenance page to apply firmware updates? I've founf the web admin will preserve / update the configuration, the TFTP updater will clear the configuration.

Is there any specific new function in the firmware that you've found useful, and what firmware version are you using now?
Do you have a playback timeline with continuous recording that highlights motion detected regions?

chrstodav

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now I am using 3.3.2

I use continuous motion detection. So, it only records motion. I have set it to 10secs either side of the detection. This seems to work well for my purpose and I can record a few weeks usually with my 2TB drive unless I get a spider web on the cameras at night. Also, it's been raining at night a fair bit so I seem to get quite long recordings.

Yes, I believe that one of the firmware updates must have activated the virtual host feature. I only have one cable running to the network and I can access each of the 3 cameras through the network which are plugged into the NVR.
The latest firmware has added feature that I can't use because of the basic cameras I have. Vehicle detection, VCA etc

Like others have stated before, it's the email feature which causes the most grief. It seems to be the most flakey part of the system.

Chris.

hirez

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received my DS7608, and I upgraded the firmware to NVR_EXX_BL_EN_STD_V3.3.1_150422. The stock fw was 3.0.something, and its network settings crashed immediately. Most things seem to be working fine with 3.3.1. I have two Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS and one Dahua DH-IPC-HDBW4300R-Z connected to it.

I had some trouble getting the Dahua recognized, but everything went smoothly, when I disabled ONVIF authentication from the camera. Disabling security made me cringe, but I compensated by configuring an IP filtering rule to allow access only from the NVR.

To the question: how can I disable one of the preconfigured PoE-ports? The NVR recognized my Dahua camera as an ONVIF device when it was connected to a nearby switch (i.e., not directly to the NVR), but I wasn't able to enable it because the NVR said something like "no more cameras allowed". There are buttons to delete cameras, but nothing happens, when I try to delete one of the preconfigured camera ports (D1...D8). I presume this is a bug, but perhaps some of you knew a workaround :)

Additionally: does anybody know how to hack the NVR to allow 8 PoE cameras + 8 network cameras? I don't need that because I only have three cameras, but if the GUI is buggy, that would at least allow me to connect to cameras that are not directly connected to the NVR box.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There are buttons to delete cameras, but nothing happens, when I try to delete one of the preconfigured camera ports (D1...D8). I presume this is a bug, but perhaps some of you knew a workaround :)
Yes, the delete only applies to cameras added on LAN (as opposed to PoE) connections.
There are some posts here somewhere on how to add LAN cameras when PoE is fully configured - but probably would be quite hard to search for.
I have a slightly vague recollection that what you have to do, for an 8-channel PoE NVR when you want to add a LAN-based camera and all PoE ports are configured for PoE, is to modify an unused PoE port settings to give it the IP address and model and connection protocol of the LAN-based camera, after taking it off 'Plug and Play'.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Is email issue resolved yet with the latest firmware? I am thinking about getting this NVR but I depend on email with snapshot features because I am Deaf.

If I was to buy this model on AliExpress, is there a certain model number I need to get that would support USA and China Hikvision camera dealers? Or any international model should do? As I read in this thread, I notice some folks having issue getting Hikvision camera from AliExpress to work with this NVR or was that the older model cameras only?

Does this NVR playback have a flag where the motion was detected for a quick review so you don't have to review the whole video to find where the motion was triggered?

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
After further researching and reading on this forum, if I was to buy camera from AliExpress then I wanted to make sure I get one with v5.2.5 firmware that support Multi-language then I should not have any trouble using it with this NVR with it newest version firmware available correct?

I have the knowledge of using custom firmware in lots of different hardware but wanted to just slap together and have it working without making modification to the camera or NVR firmware if possible because some of my family members and friends may like my setup and want the same thing for their home but they are not tech savvy like myself.

Bill

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tech Bill I replied to your other thread. With what I had learnt reading off here.

5.2.5 cameras are working very well for me, im using email, motion, line detect, email and so forth with SD card and I to are ready to add the NVR.

I thought I'd narrowed it down to 7608N-2E/8P but your "NI" I need to look into. have a look at my post to your thread.

Which vendor sells the NI??

butwhy

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got v 3.0.8 on mine without virtual host.

where are you getting the firmware from? Can someone post a link cause I can't seem to find it on the hikvision website.

Thanks

Edit - found it (feeling a little silly)

wxjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tech Bill I replied to your other thread. With what I had learnt reading off here.

5.2.5 cameras are working very well for me, im using email, motion, line detect, email and so forth with SD card and I to are ready to add the NVR.

I thought I'd narrowed it down to 7608N-2E/8P but your "NI" I need to look into. have a look at my post to your thread.

Which vendor sells the NI??

I have the DS-7608NI-E2/8P and it's a great unit with HIKVision cameras DS-2CD2132F-IWS 2.8mm

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

wxjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Can anyone shed some light on these Hik PoE NVR prices from Aliexpress ?

DS-7616NI-E2-8P for $338 (XinRay Opto-electronic Tech. CO.,LTD)
DS-7616NI-E2-8P for $395 (E&M Security Centre)

I have confirmed with the first store (XinRay Opto-electronic Tech. CO.,LTD) that theirs comes in English firmware and I can update it without any issues !

What could be the reason for such a big difference in price !
You can get a DS-7616NI-E2-8P for less than the price of a DS-7608NI-E2-8P
I believe somone in this forum said Alliexpress is a mine field.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a massive marketplace.
It's no different from Amazon or eBay when there are multiple sellers with the same products - there are always some taking the pi$$ with stupid prices.

Biggs

n3wb
Reaction score
How is the fan connected to the PSU? Can it easily be replaced without splicing wires and such?

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been using this DVR for 5 months now and so far have learned enough about setting motion detection up to understand it I think. Like it so far. But the Fan noise was bad as I noted previously. I replaced the Power SUpply fan with this one.

Noctua 40x10mm A-Series Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Retail Cooling Fan NF-A4x10

http://amzn.com/B009NQLT0M

And man it is silent. Sounds much better in my media cabinet.
It fit right in. This is a great product.
Had great options for connectors.Great instructions, all screws.
In this case you take the old fan out, cut that connector wire that is attached to the old fan retaining the end that has the plug.
They supply a plug that connects to the new fan motor with the leads unfinished. You slide the 2 old and 2 new red and black leads into some supplied connectors, so now you have the fan and it's new plug crimped to the old fan header plug. You plug the new fan in using the same old plug, pop out a little tab on the fan body to get the wires to fit under the chassis lip and screw it back together. Whole operation took 20 minutes tops.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.